What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Good to hear, Cal. Just remember the soak isn't for adding more water to the lather, but to soften up the bristles and make sure they move properly (and stop robbing the lather of moisture). You have to soak till the internal structure of the bristles is full, which might vary from brush to brush.

Exactly.

I soak all my brushes. Boar or badger go into a mug of cold water while I shower. I also shake out a lot of the water. I want the brush very well soaked but damp, not real wet. I load off the puck and apply the soap fairly dry to my damp face and neck. Then, I add water with the brush's tips, slowly, and in stages to get the lather just right, and to work lather into all the areas around each whisker, and so that the whiskers become softer.

proxy.php

Works for me. That's all I care about. I suspect there are many ways to get the job done.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'll be interested in what you find, Grant.

There are a lot of good soaps. I think the big deal is proper hydration of good soaps. Easier to get it right face lathering. Just my opinion, but it works out right for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Sometimes, you just have to throw the rule book out of the window. I'm using a couple of new soaps, the chemistry for which is notoriously bad for lathering. I had to approach this from a completely abstract perspective in order to use them, but today had a great shave with a well used blade. The secret was ignoring what should happen, and disregard all notion of what you should do with a soap. It took a few tries to understand it, but now I'm reaping the rewards. However, if I was using a different brush to the one I have, I'd probably have to take an entirely different approach.

More details HERE if you're interested, Jim.

Has the brush soaking affected the Mitchell's much, Cal? I'm not thinking in terms of more water in the mix, but the bristles moving more fluidly, and working the lather better.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sometimes, you just have to throw the rule book out of the window. I'm using a couple of new soaps, the chemistry for which is notoriously bad for lathering. I had to approach this from a completely abstract perspective in order to use them, but today had a great shave with a well used blade. The secret was ignoring what should happen, and disregard all notion of what you should do with a soap. It took a few tries to understand it, but now I'm reaping the rewards. However, if I was using a different brush to the one I have, I'd probably have to take an entirely different approach.

More details HERE if you're interested, Jim.

Has the brush soaking affected the Mitchell's much, Cal? I'm not thinking in terms of more water in the mix, but the bristles moving more fluidly, and working the lather better.

Thanks, Al.

How long do you soak your boar brush for?

My boar brush is soaking in the sink while I take a shower. When I get out, I squeeze all the water out, I do mean all, and load with soap and then add 1 tsp of water to my bowl and whip up my lather. I squirt some Aveeno Therapeutic shave gel, for my super lather, in the bowl also.

Thank you all for the boar brush soaking recommendations, appreciated. Both of my Omega 10086 Bigger Bambinos are currently liking a ~2 minute soak (followed by a vigorous shake out) very much.

Today was the first use my incredibly expensive $82 (including tax, shipping, and bank charges) tub of Martin de Candre (Limited Edition) CITRUS. I'm pleased to say that it's the best shaving soap I've ever used (and of course it should be at that damned price).
Of course, I blame Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers for putting these crazy ideas in my head. Thanks Jim. :lol1:

SOTD

Brush:
Omega 10086 Bigger Bambino
Soap: Martin de Candre CITRUS
Razor: Yaqi/Fatip DOC Mini
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2018-6-14_23-3-19.png

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thank you all for the boar brush soaking recommendations, appreciated. Both of my Omega 10086 Bigger Bambinos are currently liking a ~2 minute soak (followed by a vigorous shake out) very much.

Today was the first use my incredibly expensive $82 (including tax, shipping, and bank charges) tub of Martin de Candre (Limited Edition) CITRUS. I'm pleased to say that it's the best shaving soap I've ever used (and of course it should be at that damned price).
Of course, I blame Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers for putting these crazy ideas in my head. Thanks Jim. :lol1:

SOTD

Brush:
View attachment 890788
:thumbup: Great picture Cal, and down the rabbit hole we go! I, of course, blame Jim as well. :whistling::wink2:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

SOTD

Brush:
View attachment 890788

Holy Crap!

With the current exchange rate that works out to $142.96CAD!

I'm liking that razor too Cal. I wonder what it would look like with a gold base... Why do you call it a 'mini'?

You left something out though, how was the shave?? lol

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yikes! That's one pricey soap, Cal. That would keep me in Mitchell's for over a decade :lol:

As Spike said, good looking razor!

I'm liking that razor too Cal. I wonder what it would look like with a gold base... Why do you call it a 'mini'?
When I purchased it was called the Yaqi Mini, they've now removed "Mini" from their description. It came with several handle lengths and the "Mini" was the shortest (75mm). Naturally I went for that one as I despise any handle over 3¼" (my favored range is 70 to 75mm).
You left something out though, how was the shave?? lol
It was my standard "great shave." If there was something I didn't like about it, or if I'd had a new epiphany I would mention it for sure. I'm still learning all the time but most of the peaks and troughs in my "shave learning curve" are small.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Naw, it's a pu$$y cat but a tad more aggresive than with the Yaqi original baseplate.

EDIT:
I just had to edit my cat description which was turned into *****. What the heck's happening here? It looks like the bloody PC Police are taking over everywhere.

I've added the brass and red Yaqi DOC to my watch list. Its even on sale...

coolkitty.gif

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

SOTD

Brush:
View attachment 890788

My pleasure, Cal. I'm so glad you like it. It is quite the treat.

:thumbup: Great picture Cal, and down the rabbit hole we go! I, of course, blame Jim as well. :whistling::wink2:

We? Wife?

:laugh: Normal people would say he's a bad influence. But in BOSC terms he's a good influence, and leads by exemplary example. :lol1:

:yesnod: Crazy I know. I blame it on the company I keep. :crazy:

Thanks Al. :001_cool:

I've tried the same excuse, Cal.

upload_2018-6-15_22-24-28.jpeg

Everybody knows this one, right? My wife has another version of it and crows aren't involved.

upload_2018-6-15_22-18-49.png
proxy.php

upload_2018-6-15_22-21-48.png

upload_2018-6-15_22-26-3.png

But, here's the thing...

A spend of - enablers.

It takes a group to accomplish our appointed tasks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

SOTD

Razor:
Fatip Octor :001_wub:
Blade: Polsilver SI (9)
Brush: Omega 10086 Bigger Bambino
Soap: Martin de Candre Citrus
ASL: Lucky Tiger
upload_2018-6-23_5-20-57-png.892812

That was a wonderful shave. :punk:

I selected my favorite Fatip OC head which, after many trials, is the Mk2 V1 19mm cap. I'm even considering dropping my Mk1 head (18mm cap) and Mk2 V2 head (19.4mm cap) in the PIF box!
Could minimalism be round the corner? :letterk1: :laugh:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It could. We use what we like. We become more skilled with what we use. We like it even more; we use it even more. All the other stuff is cool an’ all, but we need it less and less.

Agreed for the most part.

There are many forms of need.

I have a number of razors at my office and delight in showing them to people, for instance. I'd argue that there is a need for delight in one's life, and this is an easy way of achieving it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Today was my biannual Christmas celebration.
So I broke my rules and CHANGED THREE OF MY FIXED FOUR. :w00t:

SOTD

Brush:
Shavemac Ferrari (Silvertip 2-Band)
Soap: BOSC (A croap made from MdC Citrus and Proraso Red ASL)
Razor: BOSC 3F by Karve
Blade: Polsilver SI (12)
upload_2018-6-27_23-39-29.png

Considering all the changes plus three days (heavy) growth... it was definitely a damned good shave (BBS). :punk:

Top Bottom