Brush:
Shavemac D01 2-Band
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Fatip Octor
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Post-shave: More lather @rudyt style
ASL: Proraso Red
View attachment 884100

I received my long awaited custom octagonal tortoise resin razor handle today from Shavemac. Out came my trusty caliper to check all was in order (to my drawing and specifications). Perfect. All dimensions are within 0.1mm which I thought was pretty magical for a hand made unit. Its length is 75mm (the same as the Piccolo handle) so it's a sporty little thing. I fitted my new Piccolo head to it. What a lovely fit with the weird Fatip M4.5 x 0.75mm threads.

My BiC blade was doing just fine but I decided to scrap it and Christen my new Fatip Octor with a brand new Silver Star.

The shave was great and I suspect that my new Fatip Octor is going to be another big love job. Obviously I'll be sticking with it for a while. Brush, soap, and ASL remain the same as before and I'm enjoying them all.

Thanks for your input Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers and Al @AimlessWanderer, appreciated. :thumbup1:

No thanks are necessary to me, buddy, but I appreciate it. :001_smile Congratulations on your new handle and Fatip "Octor"! Ain't love grand?! :biggrin1:

SOTD

Brush:
Omega 10086 Bigger Bambino
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Fatip Octor
Blade: Personna Red (1)
Post-shave: More lather @rudyt style
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2018-5-28_23-28-3.png

After 60 shaves with my Shavemac D01 2-Band I decided to give it a break and selected my little friend the Bigger Bambino. It's a totally different brush experience but an excellent one; great for high accuracy lathering and painting and getting into all the nooks and crannies.

I must say that I don't "get" or "understand" all the brush wetting that people do. I have given it extended trials but it always ends up "messy" which I definitely do not like. It looks like I'll be sticking with my five seconds max brush soak followed by a vigorous shake out. Just damp works great for me.

My Silver Star felt a little dull on shave three, which I just put down to me. On shave seven it felt really dull which I found hard to believe, but shave eight confirmed my suspicions. I guess it was just a rogue blade. All the other blades I've used out of the same five pack have been absolutely fine... and I am a Silver Star fan.

So today I started with my old benchmark blade, the Personna Red, lovely.

I'm still enjoying the MWF, but must admit that I'm pining for the lovely scented MdC Citrus that I had the sample of.

All chit chat apart, I had an excellent shave. :punk:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I must say that I don't "get" or "understand" all the brush wetting that people do.

The only difference I've noticed is a longer hot water soak for the colder weather sure makes for a nicer experience lathering.

The way the weather is here at the moment if I had any liquid nitrogen, I might try that! lol

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I must say that I don't "get" or "understand" all the brush wetting that people do.

I can't speak for any other brushes, but my boar is thirsty. If I don't soak mine, it not only hogs lather, but also wicks all the moisture out of the lather between passes. If I don't pre-soak, I will have to reload each pass.

The only difference I've noticed is a longer hot water soak for the colder weather sure makes for a nicer experience lathering.

The way the weather is here at the moment if I had any liquid nitrogen, I might try that! lol
Weren't you just shoveling a month and a half ago? Maybe less?

Weather in the middle swath of North America is weird... We didn't hit above 90 degrees here all last year. I think we hit 90 today. It's going to be a heck of a summer...

I can't speak for any other brushes, but my boar is thirsty. If I don't soak mine, it not only hogs lather, but also wicks all the moisture out of the lather between passes. If I don't pre-soak, I will have to reload each pass.
How long do you soak your boar brush for Al?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

At least a minute, but if it still doesn't quite feel "cooked", I'll take it for a few laps round my face with no soap, frequently dunking it back in the sink, to help get moisture worked into it's bristles and mine.

I must say that I don't "get" or "understand" all the brush wetting that people do. I have given it extended trials but it always ends up "messy" which I definitely do not like. It looks like I'll be sticking with my five seconds max brush soak followed by a vigorous shake out. Just damp works great for me.
At least a minute, but if it still doesn't quite feel "cooked", I'll take it for a few laps round my face with no soap, frequently dunking it back in the sink, to help get moisture worked into it's bristles and mine.
Maybe I was getting mixed up with badgers and boars. :001_unsur

Following your posts Al, I gave my Bigger Bambino a one minute soak (vs five seconds) followed by a more vigorous than usual shake to remove all possible surface wetness... and got an excellent lather and much improved flow-through (and importantly for me, still no mess).

I've just had my second shave using the one minute method as above and it was even better. I'll be sticking to this with my boar brushes from now on.

Many thanks Al, you're the man! :thumbup1:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I used my Omega boar tonight for the first time in months.

I filled my bowl with hot water, dropped it in and watched it bloom and the tips turn white. I dont think it was in the bowl 30 seconds, but it is very well broken in.

I think as soon as it blooms in the water its ready, and that wont take long.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
:001_unsur Can you explain what you mean by "blooms in the water" please Mike?

My Omega dries in the same shape it had when new, with the exception of the odd stray bristle that feels a need for independence lol.

When I put it in my bowl, the knot relaxes, opens up and it blooms much the same as a badger knot does but not nearly as much.

My Omega dries in the same shape it had when new, with the exception of the odd stray bristle that feels a need for independence lol.
:laugh: :001_cool:
When I put it in my bowl, the knot relaxes, opens up and it blooms much the same as a badger knot does but not nearly as much.
Got it, thanks.:thumbup1: I'll just stand and watch it next shave (rather than getting on with other stuff).

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Got it, thanks.:thumbup1: I'll just stand and watch it next shave (rather than getting on with other stuff).

Mine is well broken in so that may affect the time it will take, but you should see the bristles relax and open up. Mine swells quite a lot, but as soon as I lift it from the water, it goes away.

Mine is well broken in so that may affect the time it will take, but you should see the bristles relax and open up. Mine swells quite a lot, but as soon as I lift it from the water, it goes away.
My white Bigger Bambino has clocked up 56 shaves and has very soft (not to mention bifurcated and trifurcated) tips. :001_smile

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have no idea how many shaves I've used my Omega for, but it was my only brush until I got the Yaqi Silvertip. I'd guess 6-7 months of every other day use and I'm not gentle with my brushes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Maybe I was getting mixed up with badgers and boars. :001_unsur

Following your posts Al, I gave my Bigger Bambino a one minute soak (vs five seconds) followed by a more vigorous than usual shake to remove all possible surface wetness... and got an excellent lather and much improved flow-through (and importantly for me, still no mess).

I've just had my second shave using the one minute method as above and it was even better. I'll be sticking to this with my boar brushes from now on.

Many thanks Al, you're the man! :thumbup1:

Good to hear, Cal. Just remember the soak isn't for adding more water to the lather, but to soften up the bristles and make sure they move properly (and stop robbing the lather of moisture). You have to soak till the internal structure of the bristles is full, which might vary from brush to brush.

Good to hear, Cal. Just remember the soak isn't for adding more water to the lather, but to soften up the bristles and make sure they move properly (and stop robbing the lather of moisture). You have to soak till the internal structure of the bristles is full, which might vary from brush to brush.
:001_cool: Got it! :001_smile

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers (Jim): I'm definitely going to evaluate Wholly Kaw sometime. It's at or near the top of my list of soaps that I haven't tried but need to try.

I'll be interested in what you find, Grant.

There are a lot of good soaps. I think the big deal is proper hydration of good soaps. Easier to get it right face lathering. Just my opinion, but it works out right for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom