What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Soap: BOSC (A croap made from MdC Citrus and Proraso Red ASL)
What a weird coincidence. I frankensoaped a Proraso Red today also.

I've had a thin sliver of a Stirling Bay Rum sample kicking around, homeless since the MWF took permanent residence in the Old Spice mug. Today, I thought, hmmm, sandalwood and bay rum, that might work, so I pressed the sample into my Proraso Red tub on top of the existing soap, leaving lots of old soap exposed.

Lots of great lather as you would expect, but even though the Proraso has a pungent true sandalwood scent, it was completely overpowered by the bay rum. The new Proraso Pro (5th shave) performed well again, easily holding 4 passes worth of lather. It's finally staring to bloom.

Yet another CHANGE today. My BOSC soap experiment was probably a bit silly, but knowing nothing about soap science I just went ahead and did it. I guess mixing ASL and Soap is a dumb idea... the fragrance was great but the lather was lousy. So today back to MdC straight. I also thought my new BOSC razor deserved a new blade so today's shave was with a new Personna Red (my benchmark blade).

SOTD

Brush:
Shavemac Ferrari (Silvertip 2-Band)
Soap: Martin de Candre Citrus
Razor: BOSC 3F by Karve
Blade: Personna Red (1)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2018-6-30_2-29-42.png

I'm still early in the "getting to know you" stages with the brush and the razor. More shaves are required. But I definitely like them.

That was another very nice shave.:001_smile Testing continues to see if I can move on to excellent. :yesnod:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm clueless on soap science too. Far too clueless to start attempting to mix stuff. I have enough trouble just figuring out how to get the best from a new one :D

I also like shaves best once I've gotten to know stuff too. That's one of the reasons the straights/shavette will just be occasional shaves. I'd get frustrated trying to stick with it constantly throughout the learning curve. I don't mind the first shave or two with something new, but I do get frustrated with prolongued periods to adjust to new stuff. I'm hoping the hollow ground SEs will be quicker to adjust to.

So do you have to wear sunglasses to avoid glare from the hi-viz razor, Cal? :lol1:

Yet another CHANGE today. My BOSC soap experiment was probably a bit silly, but knowing nothing about soap science I just went ahead and did it. I guess mixing ASL and Soap is a dumb idea... the fragrance was great but the lather was lousy.
Not a silly idea at all - you just lack patience and seek immediate gratification ;-)

Alcohol does indeed kill lather, but if you wait long enough to let it evaporate, the results are awesome.

My last experiment was grating a Palmolive stick, and pickling it in Aqua Velva Ice Blue. After a week or two of airing out, I now have my authentic Aqua Velva scented soap. Performance has not diminished in the least.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-6-27_23-39-29-png.893801

Holy Hannah, Cal, that is one ugly razor! It’s not permanently stuck like that, is it?

If you're talking about this razor, Spike, I can see what you mean, but I still see the razor as over the top BOSC and unique and very good looking. My guess is it looks a lot better, too, in real life.

What would your BOSC color scheme be for the same razor?

Happy shaves,

Jim

What would your BOSC color scheme be for the same razor?

Setting aside my obsessive fondness for brushed stainless steel, I very much admired Cal’s Darth Maul black & red DOC. I also find these fabulously attractive:

EC430F6E-E751-46B7-89B6-E8CF76618E4A.jpeg

I believe the BOSC color scheme is copied from Cal’s previous Caledonian lion avatar. While I am a deep cut Celtophile and respect it in that context, the red on yellow hurts my eyes. Other reactions are, of course, available.

Not a silly idea at all - you just lack patience and seek immediate gratification ;-)
:001_unsur Me? A member of B&B. How could that POSSIBLY be? :001_huh: :001_rolle :001_smile :laugh:
Alcohol does indeed kill lather, but if you wait long enough to let it evaporate, the results are awesome.
Thanks Rudy, I didn't realize that. I'll take the lid off and let it dry... and come back to it at a later date. :thumbup1:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That’s an open comb Calypso from Above The Tie. Aluminum, unfortunately, so would be very light weight.

Calypso SE1, also aluminum.

DSCN6984_large.jpg

The colour scheme alone is one reason I really like the Calypso SE1, but the weight....not so much.

"When assembled, the Calypso SE1 weighs in at 39 grams, total length is 3¾"."

Calypso SE1 - Aluminum Single Edge Safety Razor

Fatip Grande and my Single Ring. I find the Single Ring very light.

IMG_2624.jpg IMG_2625.jpg

I'll take the lid off and let it dry... and come back to it at a later date.

Theres always flambe. Ask yourself Cal, how BOSC am I, really? lol

Theres always flambe. Ask yourself Cal, how BOSC am I, really? lol
There's a difference between Crazy and Stupid. I ain't eatin' no soap! :hand:
While we've got some sun, I bet the parcel shelf or dashboard of the car would be a good spot to speed up the evaporation. :p
:laugh: That reminds me of working up in the mountains in Oman. We used to fry eggs on our Land Rover bonnets (hoods to you 'mericans).

I have another CHANGE to report. Yesterday I replaced the Karve 76.2mm (3"), 61 gram brass handle with my Shavemac Ferrari 75mm, 15.3 gram resin handle. I liked the change very much but didn't want to report it until I had another shave in.

The Karve handle is very nice and has great grip, but IMO it's just too heavy (the head weighs 37.2g). I've always liked good hand tools, most of which have the weight at the business end with light handles. Imagine weilding a 14 pound sledge hammer with a 23 pound handle.:crazy: So I'm thinking that my nicely Cerakoted brand new 3" handle may have taken very early retirement.

SOTD

Brush:
Shavemac Ferrari (Silvertip 2-Band)
Soap: Martin de Candre Citrus
Razor: BOSC 3F by Karve
Blade: Personna Red (7)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2018-7-7_1-32-52.png

I'm really enjoying my BOSC 3F, but due to the handle change I won't be reporting on my findings for a while yet.

That was another very nice BBS shave with my very nice kit. :punk:

Top Bottom