What's new

Butterfly style razor blade that is mild like Merkur 34C

I would not consider the R1 a truly Rockwell safety razor.

The 2c, 6c, 6s and model T are designed by Rockwell. The R1 is a Chinese razor that some sellers rebrand, including Rockwell.

In fact the "Rockwell" R1, Is also called Vikings Blade Chieftain, Baili Barber safety razor, and who knows if there are others out there.

I would go with a Gillette vintage, instead of a Rockwell R1.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

QRTAS

If you want an inexpensive, new, mild and smooth TTO, why don't you try Feather Popular?
The Popular is a really smooth and mild razor, and you can get it almost for free ;)

Or why not a Parker 87R? It's good looking and quite mild.

If you want something vintage I would suggest Schick Krona, another incredible smooth and mild razor.

The Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO is readily available and would shave about the same. I think they may be manufactured by Weishi but that has not been confirmed.

The Vikings blade Chieftain is pretty close

+1 on the vintage Gillette adjustables (Slim or Fat boy). I like them both.

The only modern TTO that I have used is a Weishi 9306F, which has been terrible for me. Misaligned TTO doors and safery bars with different blade gaps on each side produce a shave that is inefficient, yet bloody and irritating.

Others have written good things about the Parker TTO razors, but they might be more aggressive than what you want.

^ I agree, for a mild daily driver a simple and cheap but like new Super Speed can be had for under $30 and works so well.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Despite having over a dozen vintage and modern razors, including a Merkur 34, a 'black handle' 70s Super Speed has been my daily razor since 2015. The thing I liked about the 34 was the heft- the weight and the balance. Even though I haven't used the 34 in yonks I still remember the rather unique feel of it in my hand. The only vintage TTO that has a similar sense of weight and balance is the 'red tip' Super Speed. It is a terrific shaver, and to my mind would feel the most similar to the 34. But honestly any Gillette TTO will be a terrific option.

Baili, Weishi, Parker, Van Der Hagen, Razorock Quick Change, Rockwell R1. FWIW, the Weishi and Van Der Hagen are the same thing, as are the Baili TTO, Razorock and Rockwell.

On a whim I bought a Weishi long handle TTO this week. I liked the metallic black coating and for less and $20 I thought, why not. I’ve been using various vintage Gillettes for years including an Open LC, 46-47 Aristocrat, various Techs, Slim adjustable and Knack TTO. I also tried a new King Gillette recently, which I didn’t care much for.
I actually really like the Weishi, very smooth glide, likely due to the coating, moderately aggressive (what ever that means) and solid in the hand. I liked the weight, balance and grip better that the KG. Not sure how long it will last but I’ll work through a few blades to find the right mix. I did not try the included blades, thought it might taint my evaluation.
Love to hear others thoughts on this razor.

Top Bottom