What's new

Brotherhood of Razorock Gamechanger (BORG)

I went with the .76 solid bar to start off, figured I go medium first and see how it is in comparison to Henson.
First shave with GC, off to a great start! I used treet black carbon steel blade, Stirling unscented beeswax soap and Lockhart's goons milk AS, which has been my usual combo.
I was only shaving one days growth, but compared to yesterday's shave with al13, this .76p feels like a hot knife through butter. I really understand why the old heads in this hobby love a heavy razor now, it was just gliding through the stubble, I feel like somehow I felt the blade even less than with Henson. I think the weight really makes a big difference, with al13 I find I need a fair bit amount more pressure, and that was causing me to still have a bit of irritation and razor rash.
Wtg pass was leisurely, relaxed, and I feel I was already closer than normal. Did another pass atg on face and xtg on neck, baby smooth with just a little blade buffing after on my tricky spots. The xtg pass blew my mind, I got used to feeling more tug and pull in this direction with the Henson, but there was none at all with GC!

Col. conks alum block revealed only a very slight irritation around my chin but no nicks or weepers at all, I think this is one of the best shaves I've had since I made the switch!
I still have about a week before my 100 days is up for Henson, gonna give this another couple of shaves to really get accustomed to the differences and make up my mind 100%. Based on today, I think Henson will be heading back to the factory though :p

First shave with GC, off to a great start! I used treet black carbon steel blade, Stirling unscented beeswax soap and Lockhart's goons milk AS, which has been my usual combo.
I was only shaving one days growth, but compared to yesterday's shave with al13, this .76p feels like a hot knife through butter. I really understand why the old heads in this hobby love a heavy razor now, it was just gliding through the stubble, I feel like somehow I felt the blade even less than with Henson. I think the weight really makes a big difference, with al13 I find I need a fair bit amount more pressure, and that was causing me to still have a bit of irritation and razor rash.
Wtg pass was leisurely, relaxed, and I feel I was already closer than normal. Did another pass atg on face and xtg on neck, baby smooth with just a little blade buffing after on my tricky spots. The xtg pass blew my mind, I got used to feeling more tug and pull in this direction with the Henson, but there was none at all with GC!

Col. conks alum block revealed only a very slight irritation around my chin but no nicks or weepers at all, I think this is one of the best shaves I've had since I made the switch!
I still have about a week before my 100 days is up for Henson, gonna give this another couple of shaves to really get accustomed to the differences and make up my mind 100%. Based on today, I think Henson will be heading back to the factory though :p

Nice first outing! I hope the next are just as good. Before you send the Henson back, try a sharper blade, it seems to benefit.

Nice first outing! I hope the next are just as good. Before you send the Henson back, try a sharper blade, it seems to benefit.
I was using treet black beauties with my Henson as well, went through couple sample packs and found I liked them the best overall. I tried feathers but found them a little too harsh for my skin. Tbh I definitely don't think the Henson is bad, it was a great introductory piece to get the basics down for me, and if I had more disposable income and bathroom space I'd probably just keep both. The hair being left behind is definitely more on my novice technique than the razor itself, however having tried the GC now, it does get me much closer to my ideal shave with much less effort. I kept telling myself I should go longer before trying another razor, but I'm glad I made this purchase just to actually see for myself. My motivation to return the Henson is pretty much 95% monetary and 5% performance :p

Is it a common thing for blades to be difficult to remove from the Game Changer base plates? I have to use something thin and flat to help pry the blade out of mine. It doesn't just slip off by itself.
Not that I can remember no. What might happen is that inadvertently the blade gets stuck between the baseplate and the cap causing minor damage to the middle of the blade. That has happened to me.

Guido

Is it a common thing for blades to be difficult to remove from the Game Changer base plates? I have to use something thin and flat to help pry the blade out of mine. It doesn't just slip off by itself.

Yep. I had read about this before I bought mine. I have three plates and I find that it does it with some brands of blades and not with others. When it happens, I place the base plate on the counter and press down on one side of the blade. It usually pops off the posts.

Neil

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I love my Game Changer.

I started out with .68-P base plate and found it to be a little mild for my liking, possibly because I shave every-other day. I tried the .84-P base plate and like the efficiency and audible feedback, so it has been my 'daily-driver'. However, I do occasionally get some weepers with the .84-P even with relatively mild Astra Platinum blades, so now I'm considering trying the .76-P base plate thinking it might be a happy medium for me.

Maybe I can catch them on sale at Italian Barber sometime. :)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I love my Game Changer.

I started out with .68-P base plate and found it to be a little mild for my liking, possibly because I shave every-other day. I tried the .84-P base plate and like the efficiency and audible feedback, so it has been my 'daily-driver'. However, I do occasionally get some weepers with the .84-P even with relatively mild Astra Platinum blades, so now I'm considering trying the .76-P base plate thinking it might be a happy medium for me.

Any thoughts?
I am putting those exact three plates through their paces right now with a FlyDear Platinum which is comparable to the Astra SP with sharpness. I found the .84 a bit rough for me, and the .68 is comfortable but my stubble returns too quickly so I'll be testing the .76 in two days to see if it can straddle the fence between.

I'll probably repeat the trial with a Treet Platinum and a Gillette Silver Blue.

I love my Game Changer.

Any thoughts?
The .84-P base plate gave with the closest and smoothest shave I’ve had yet. The high blade feel forced me slow down and be mindful of the blade angle and pressure, but this ultimately resulted in a much better shave. I haven't noticed any irritation from the .84-P aggression yet, but it I ordered the .76-P base plate to try out as well.

I love my Game Changer.

Any thoughts?
I have the .68 and .84 oc. The .68 is too mild and the .84 is a little harsh for everyday. Have a Lupo. 72 and it has become my daily driver for the last 6 or eight months.

I’ll be trying out the Lupo .72OC soon. The SB was sold out, and I figured the .58 would be too mild and the .95 would be too aggressive.

The GC .84 is awesome but I was a little worried it would feel like too much daily. The .76 is on the way for me to try out.

It happens some times to me. It seems to happen more when I put the glue dots down towards the baseplate or the baseplate and blade are wet. I don't have to pry it off, but it is a bit challenging to remove now and then. The DSCosmetic S9 solves this issue by having two grooves on each side of the baseplate. RR should copy that.

The GC-0.76P with the Vintage Thin Handle performed flawlessly this morning, BBS.

I started back in January with the GC-0.84P and really liked it, but it seemed for me a little much for everyday use. Then I ordered the 76 bottom plate and everything fell right into place. I did order the 68P plate afterwards but didn’t like it as much as the 76P. I am still in awe of the Game Changer, especially when I consider the price point.

Have a blessed day everyone.
IMG_3922.jpeg

Second shave with GC 76 this morning. Almost flawless, one little Nick on my neck from driver error, but still overall dfs-bbs in 2 passes. I got used to moving a little more quickly with the Henson, but the GC is forcing me to be more mindful of the blade which is a good thing, like one of the recent comments mentioned.
Tried my Henri and Victoria AS today instead of goons milk, partly to get a little more Canadian content in my shave 😁 🇨🇦 but also missed that cognac and Cuban scent.

At this point I think my game is officially changed 😂 gonna take tomorrow and possibly Saturday off and see how she handles a little more growth.
Have a great day everyone!

May 3, 2024 Friday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Soap: Razorock New York
Brush: AP Shave Co. 24mm G5A (2)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Barbero alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

This was a three pass shave. The Overlander / Personna Lab Blue combination has been top notch, super close and very comfy.
The AP Shave Co. brush is a very good brush.
No drama, no irritation. It's a great way to start the weekend!

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 05_03_24.jpg

Top Bottom