What's new

Brooks Brothers (or the like) Shirts

I've never heard of Southwick or H Freeman, Hickey Freeman yes, but I looked at their website and they look like they make some really nice quality merchandise. Will have to search them out. Thanks.

Check out O'Connells Clothing in Buffalo NY. The have a good website. They carry both H Freeman of Phila and Southwick, are great to work with by phone. Southwick is now owned by BB. Both are makers of high quality, traditional men's clothing and are priced reasonably for the quality. I think you will be very happy with anything from them.:thumbup:

I think the Tyrwhitt Sea Island cotton shirts are one of the best shirts I own. For $110 they are a very nice quality, good value shirt.

The color selection is fairly limited, but I have a lot of more expensive shirts and my CT shirts are among my favorites. Only downside, they seem like the may be a bit "heavy" for hot summer. But most of the year they're fine.

(Thanks for turning me on to them Doc)

Ok, so I went and got measured. I've got a 15" neck, so that would be a 15.5" neck size as I understand it, and 34 sleeve measurement. So I'm all set to place my BB order, and then today I'm putting clothes away and notice all the shirts I have now are 16.5" neck size. What the hell? I've lost some weight, but an inch off the neck size, really? Now I'm hesitant to buy anything online.

Thoughts?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think the Tyrwhitt Sea Island cotton shirts are one of the best shirts I own. For $110 they are a very nice quality, good value shirt.

The color selection is fairly limited, but I have a lot of more expensive shirts and my CT shirts are among my favorites. Only downside, they seem like the may be a bit "heavy" for hot summer. But most of the year they're fine.

(Thanks for turning me on to them Doc)
No problem. :wink2:

(Darn, I should have asked CTshirts for a commission or something. :001_rolle) They have been having their end-of-season sale, so (a) now is a good time to buy and get a deal, and (b) the new colours will be coming out soon for spring.

(Each 'season' ... ie twice a year ... they come out with a new line of products. So that means new ties, new cufflinks, new shirts ... the whole shee-bang. About the only thing that stays constant is the "tuxedo" products, and a few of the standard white shirts and a couple blue ones.)

Oh, and I forget if you like the regular tent-fit or the slim-fit shirts ... if you go for the tents, then you might want to try the 180s cotton shirts for summer ... very thin fabric. If they made them in a slimfit, I'd stock up myself.
Ok, so I went and got measured. I've got a 15" neck, so that would be a 15.5" neck size as I understand it, and 34 sleeve measurement. So I'm all set to place my BB order, and then today I'm putting clothes away and notice all the shirts I have now are 16.5" neck size. What the hell? I've lost some weight, but an inch off the neck size, really? Now I'm hesitant to buy anything online.

Thoughts?

How do those 16.5" necks fit you?

Forget about measuring tapes and such, you can feel what fits well. If 16.5 is what fits, that's what you should stick with.

How do those 16.5" necks fit you?

Forget about measuring tapes and such, you can feel what fits well. If 16.5 is what fits, that's what you should stick with.

I put one of them on today. I can fit about 3 fingers between my neck and the collar when it's buttoned.

You might try to find a BB outlet near you - I found good deals on trousers at one of their outlets, and they had plenty of shirts in regular and slim fit.

I've been very satisfied with shirts purchased from Paul Fredrick. If you're a new customer they have a killer deal, 4 shirts for $20/ea - that's a third to a half of their regular prices. I think their trim fit shirts are more true-to-fit than any other similar shirt, but that's just me (5'11", 185). Their no-iron shirts are great. I'm not affiliated with PF, just a satisfied customer. They have a good video on how to take your measurements, too.

JC Penney's Stafford Performance Pinpoint Oxford shirts are actually a very good value. Not as customizable with the sleeve length, and their athletic fit shirt is a bit more full than a slim fit, but for everyday office wear you can't beat 'em. I personally don't care for broadcloth or poplin, but if you want a lighter weight shirt they offer those in slim fit. The JCP website says the pinpoint oxfords are in stores, but I've never found any athletic fit ones in the retail stores, always have to order online.

My advice is, get started with a few top-quality shirts and fill in the gaps with the JCPs.

Last edited:
As another data point, I'm approximately 5'10" and 140lb. The slim weren't slim on me at all, and even the extra-slim are a bit big in the waist. They are the best fit I've seen for an off-the-shelf shirt on me, though.

Broseph, you may want to try T.M. Lewin's "Fully Fitted" Line.

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk

They have a chart (somewhere on that site) that shows the sizing differences with the actual measurments in cm and inches, which is really handy when one brand's 15 is another brand's 15 1/2. Mind you, I don't own any of their shirts, and can't speak to quality.

You might try to find a BB outlet near you - I found good deals on trousers at one of their outlets, and they had plenty of shirts in regular and slim fit.

The BB line of clothing for its outlets, "346", is good, but of a lesser quality than "Own Make".

The BB line of clothing for its outlets, "346", is good, but of a lesser quality than "Own Make".

+1. I own quite a few BB and 346 pieces. My point of view is that the 346 is best suited to the golf course, casual fridays or dinner at a friend's place.

As far as the outlet is concerned, sometimes I think the oultet "346" stuff, isn't even the same line as the in-store 346 stuff that's less formal (cardigans, polos and such.)

+1. I own quite a few BB and 346 pieces. My point of view is that the 346 is best suited to the golf course, casual fridays or dinner at a friend's place.

As far as the outlet is concerned, sometimes I think the oultet "346" stuff, isn't even the same line as the in-store 346 stuff that's less formal (cardigans, polos and such.)

The days of true factory outlet stores stocking overruns and last season's merchandise are just about done. Nowadays they are sourcing product expressly to be sold in outlets. The customer is supposed to think they are getting a bargain, but they aren't buying goods of the same quality as in the "regular" stores. Still, I think BB's outlet stuff is a cut above the regular offerings at Dillards, Macys, Bloomingdale's et al.

The days of true factory outlet stores stocking overruns and last season's merchandise are just about done. Nowadays they are sourcing product expressly to be sold in outlets. The customer is supposed to think they are getting a bargain, but they aren't buying goods of the same quality as in the "regular" stores. Still, I think BB's outlet stuff is a cut above the regular offerings at Dillards, Macys, Bloomingdale's et al.

Ya, pretty sad. The number of manufacturers that have straight to outlet "lines" is growing:

Coach (tell your girlfriends! this will save you like 2 hours on your next trip to the mall)
Banana Republic
Calvin Klein
Brooks Brothers
"Lauren" by Ralph Lauren

However:

Lacoste Outlets are real outlets.
Burberry "Outlet" Stores are real outlets. But they're really just places where they sell more normal priced stock. (I saw an overcoat regular price 1100.00 USD, on sale for 1050.00 USD...... WOW DEAL!!!!!!!!:glare:)

Gents:

I've enjoyed the spirited discussion of BB v. JAB, however I want to voice my opinion.

In my humble opinion the men's dress shirt is, for all intents and purposes, underwear. It is a consumable and disposible item of utility not fashion.

I own both BB and JAB dress shirts, and I prefer, hands down, the JAB shirt. In my opinion they are bother cheaper and of higher quality. For example, my white BB shirts are much thinner than my JAB shirts.

As to fit I am 5'6" and about 130 lbs. This makes me very slender. Both the JAB tailored fit and BB slim fit are too big on my frame. I'm not going for the super chic tight look, only a shirt that isn't baggy. I am going to try the BB extra slim fit sometime soon.

I wear both the slim and extra slim with Brooks Brothers. Best bang for your buck is their must iron oxford shirts.

I haven't bought a Brook's Brothers shirt before but I have bought a nice Merino Wool Vest from them. I swear it's the best vest I have and it's really really nice and comfy.

Sorry for the slightly off topic. =)

I recently received an order of BB shirts (non-iron, slim fit). I'm 6'1", 200lbs and they fit absolutely perfectly, but I think that fit is very subjective.

Although I'm fairly muscular (definitely much bigger across the chest and shoulders than the waist) I'm not a huge fan of anything super-fitted. I find that the slim fit is a really good balance of being tidy, but with out looking tight.

They wash really, really well, and I'm looking forward to ordering another three pack down the road.

All of my dress shirts are from Brooks. At 6'2" and 200lbs they fit pretty well. Of course the "Slim" fit are American Slim so they are what I consider a normal fit. I have both those and the Extra Slim Fits. I feel the extra slims are a great fit except for my shoulders. I would make sure you go into the store and try them both on before buying. Also, they run a 3 for $199 deal almost 24/7 so I wouldn't panic about the price. If you get their card on your first purchase you also get an additional 20% off.
All 15 or so of my shirts are brooks and until I can afford custom I don't see myself switching off of these.

There are many high quality shirts out there, Brooks Bros, Jos Banks, Freeman, Joseph Abudd (sp?) to name a few. Like shaving equipment, though, not every shirt suits every guy. Try them on.

I've always found "slim fit" to be useless. If you have an athletic build, buy regular shirts and have them tailored. The extra few bucks is well spent.

I tried a BB Slim on for the first time on Saturday. It's a perfect fit for me. I couldn't believe how nice it was. Even SWMBO commented on the fit, and she was distracted by a two-year-old pawing at the nice suits.

Of course, she also said it was a nice way to spend MY personal discretionary budget, so that means I'm on my own, cost-wise. Sigh for fiscal responsibility.

Go British.

TM Lewin
Charles Tyrwhitt
Harvie & Hudson
Hawes & Curtis

All are well-made and you can get them for far less than a Brx Bros set. Brx Bros usually prices 3 for 179 or 3 for 149, the Brits will offer 4/100 or 3/75 in pounds. Then, take away the VAT and that covers shipping (often the VAT reduction is larger than the shipping price), and when you convert the GBP into dollars, you still have substantial savings (total in the $40/shirt range, which is great for that quality level).

I'm not sure what has happened to BB's shirts but the last several that I bought have become very uncomfortable around to the collar, very scratchy and chaffs my neck. The cotton isn't as smooth as it use to be and this seems to only be happening with the basic solid color dress shirts, not the fashion styles, ie stripes. I've only had them a couple of months and thought that they may soften some after a few washes but they have not. I still have the online receipts and seriously thinking about returning them. I really want to try a new menswear designer from the US called Ledbury. Does anyone have any experience with them? I heard about them while reading an article in the Wall Street Journal about new menswear designers.

Here's the WSJ Article: Menswear's New Designers

Thier website: Ledbury

Last edited:
Top Bottom