What's new

Allen Edmunds Shoe Bank

Went shopping at a local AE shoe store last week for the week long " Black Friday " sale . The Park Ave shoes were not on sale but the Fifth Ave shoes were. I tried on a 10D , but my heels slipped to much , toe box was good . I walked around the carpet and was amazed how slippery the leather soles are , it's been a while for me . Additionally , I've used Brooks Glycerin cross trainers for 20 years with prescription orthotics , so walking in the Fifth Ave was like walking barefoot on a sidewalk. Stacey , my fabulous shoe fitter at the Walnut Creek Calif. AE store recommended a "C" fitting , but had none in stock . I asked if the shoe bank had a "C" fitting in my size and by luck they did , with an additional 25% off and Dainite soles !!....Stacey ordered them for me and I picked them up yesterday . Walking on the AE carpet I could immediately feel how much cushioning the Dainite sole added , much more comfortable .By luck the "blemish " was not bad at all. Looks like on the back of one shoe the cobbler made a small indentation and scuff . Also , one of the holes in the brogue work was punched too deep , an easy fix .I wear a full break in my trousers so it should not be noticeable , although you really have to get very close to see it . I gave the shoes 2 massage sessions with Venetian shoe cream , a leather cream I have used since 1963 . Next a good waxing with Angelus light brown , although these shoes could use tan wax/polish just as well. I am fully satisfied with the purchase , the looks of the shoe , the comfort of the fit and for sure the $200 savings . The only thing I really would like to see is the return of white threads .
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
If you are ever in Port Washington, WI, or close by, I totally recommend a visit to the AE Shoebank. In my job I had traveled a lot to this area as we have a big customer in the next town over, and at the time there as only one hotel in Port Washington. I started going there 1996.....I have been so many times in the Shoebank, and very often came home with a pair, or two of AE shoes. Definitely worth going, and over the years, I have "hooked" many colleagues to get their shoes there.

If you are ever in Port Washington, WI, or close by, I totally recommend a visit to the AE Shoebank. In my job I had traveled a lot to this area as we have a big customer in the next town over, and at the time there as only one hotel in Port Washington. I started going there 1996.....I have been so many times in the Shoebank, and very often came home with a pair, or two of AE shoes. Definitely worth going, and over the years, I have "hooked" many colleagues to get their shoes there.
A big plus is their huge amount of widths to choose from .

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Congrats on the new kicks! They look fantastic. Leather soles are a little slippery when brand new, but much grippier after they're scuffed up a bit in a week or so. I'm surprised you find the Dainite soles cushier than leather. My experienc is very much the opposite. But I'm glad you like them and they're working for you. They should last a long long time and the shoes should be good for many resoles.

Very nice pick up. Although they’ve spread themselves a bit thin over recent years, chasing trends and fashion, AE still make a solid shoe in their core models. The Park Avenue are great and I own 3 pairs of McNeils.
I’m also surprised that you can tell the difference between a leather and Dainite sole, but great for you if you can! I’m of a mind that a quality shoe with a quality leather sole can be worn in wet weather with no problems, as long as you look after it properly. That said I am a big fan of Dainite, definitely adds more flexibility to when you can wear your shoes.

Very nice pick up. Although they’ve spread themselves a bit thin over recent years, chasing trends and fashion, AE still make a solid shoe in their core models. The Park Avenue are great and I own 3 pairs of McNeils.
I’m also surprised that you can tell the difference between a leather and Dainite sole, but great for you if you can! I’m of a mind that a quality shoe with a quality leather sole can be worn in wet weather with no problems, as long as you look after it properly. That said I am a big fan of Dainite, definitely adds more flexibility to when you can wear your shoes.
I agree with you and Roman as well , after a nice sidewalk scuffing leather shoes most certainly do loose the slip and gain the grip . I was surprised at the slight cushioning effect myself, but it's very welcome .

I don't wear dress shoes much anymore but always mainly wore AEs. Sometimes I'd get them on sale at Nordstrom or from one of their shops and sometimes I'd get them from the Shoe Bank. The ones I used over the years mainly had leather soles but I do still have one pair with a dainite sole as well.

In rainy weather I'd mainly wear Totes overshoes with them and a big khaki trench coat. In the snow I would resort to Neos overshoes or simply wear boots and put the shoes on once indoors. My AEs always held up very well.

RE: polishes and conditioners, I always liked the AE polishes in the tube pretty well but a lot of people splurge on Saphir now. Angelus and Lincoln are good lower priced wax polishes you can find at shoe repair shops and the like. For conditioner the one I found that worked best for me was something called Leather Therapy. It also did a better job at preventing mold than other conditioners.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@malocchio

Blemish? Those shoes are perfect! 😀👍

Great pick up. I too recently acquired a pair of shoes from the AE Shoe Bank. I picked up a pair of their Carlyle patent leather shoes for formal attire.

Aside from saving quite a bit of money, like your shoes, I highly doubt that the blemishes on the shoes I obtained would be noticed by anyone. Especially since one blemish was the finishing on the sole by the toe area.

I’m of a mind that a quality shoe with a quality leather sole can be worn in wet weather with no problems, as long as you look after it properly.

Totally agree. If I’m wearing leather-soled shoes in foul weather, I usually throw a pair of Swims over them.

If I get caught in foul weather without Swims then, after inserting shoe trees, the shoes are laid on their side until they are dry.

Afterwards, they get an application of Saphir Sole Guard.

IMG_6998.jpeg
IMG_6997.jpeg

@malocchio

Great pick up. I too recently acquired a pair of shoes from the AE Shoe Bank. I picked up a pair of their Carlyle patent leather shoes for formal attire.

Aside from saving quite a bit of money, like your shoes, I highly doubt that the blemishes on the shoes I obtained would be noticed by anyone. Especially since one blemish was the finishing on the sole by the toe area.

Totally agree. If I’m wearing leather-soled shoes in foul weather, I usually throw a pair of Swims over them.

If I get caught in foul weather without Swims then, after inserting shoe trees, the shoes are laid on their side until they are dry.

View attachment 1759636View attachment 1759637

@malocchio

View attachment 1759636View attachment 1759637
First pair I've seen actually made in Norway . The Norwegian style of shoe leather stitching is the world's oldest modern shoe making .

Haven't worn leather soles in over 25 years. But they are slippery when new. Used to with each new pair find a nice concrete curb and rub the shoe sole back and forth a few dozen times. Repeat with the other foot. Helped out a good deal as I recall other than the occasional odd look.

Top Bottom