What's new

Brass General thoughts

Here here. I’m going back and forth between the two (Brass and SS) and I agree with you on the Brass being the “go-to”. I’m waiting to pick up a Charcoal Goods handle for it. Spendy, but with what might be two different products that may not be around forever, it will be pretty sweet. Still trying to decide to keep it shiny or let it patina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been considering a couple of handles from Charcoal Goods also. Just a bit pricey, but still leaning towards getting one or two, the Florian Cross and/or the Tritium handled one if it ever becomes available again. They both look gorgeous...
9CF21110-F178-4AB4-B47D-189320AE54F1.jpeg

E0591C79-76D8-44E7-AB85-268FA940997A.jpeg

F93A0AA9-FB0F-4033-A0E1-021024561296.jpeg

Let’s revive another thread, Darn it!!
This time the Brass General. Yesterday, the OneBlade. The BG just provides an excellent shave with a high priced look and class. Works well with almost any blade, but if you want a bit more blade feel without sacrificing much at all in smoothness, the BG and Feather Pro Super is the ticket for a glorious and satisfying shave.....

9DC5E6EA-7EBD-4A2A-BD0E-E84A6B029DAA.jpeg

@GlazedBoker, Thanks for the revival!

I’ve been rediscovering the Feather Proguard blade recently, your posting reminded me I haven’t used the Brass General for a bit. Loaded up the Proguard, on it’s 16th shave, in the razor and had at it. Surprisingly I had a comparable DFS+ / BBS- shave like I normally get with more aggressive setups. I am convinced I must be using the right shallow angle for this razor. Very pleased I haven’t sold off this razor!

I’ve been rediscovering the Feather Proguard blade recently, your posting reminded me I haven’t used the Brass General for a bit. Loaded up the Proguard, on it’s 16th shave, in the razor and had at it. Surprisingly I had a comparable DFS+ / BBS- shave like I normally get with more aggressive setups. I am convinced I must be using the right shallow angle for this razor. Very pleased I haven’t sold off this razor!
Hi David - okay you guys persuaded me. I'm going to give mine another go tomorrow. I like it overall but I've gone back to the S1 and really liked it a lot. But I'm going to give the BC a go and see how it works again for me.

:thumbsup:

That’s the only blade that I haven’t tried it with yet. Actually, I haven’t used any guarded blades with the Brass General. You’ve piqued my interest @davidsilva. ProGuard it is on the next shave...
I just got to know!

Thanks for firing up this thread, Gus! Like David, I find the guarded blades (both Feather and Kai) to work very well, every time. I've gone to guarded blades exclusively in the Asylum RX, but haven't used them in the General. I'm inspired to try one. Thanks, guys!

Is there much difference between the brass and stainless steel versions of this razor? The handles look much different. Any weight difference? Gap?

I really enjoy my SS General. I haven't zoned in on one blade yet for it. I have tried the Feather Professionals, Supers, and Schick Prolines in it. I have yet to try the ProGuards or Protouchs in it.

@DELove, Hi Kenrick!
I really love my ATT SE1 too, and had ignored the brass general. Don’t know why, but seems I am becoming more blade and razor agnostic ;), though I certainly have my favorites...

Thanks for firing up this thread, Gus! Like David, I find the guarded blades (both Feather and Kai) to work very well, every time. I've gone to guarded blades exclusively in the Asylum RX, but haven't used them in the General. I'm inspired to try one. Thanks, guys!

Hey Scott! Guarded blades may not be the ultimate blade forward design, but they work better than I remember!

Is there much difference between the brass and stainless steel versions of this razor? The handles look much different. Any weight difference? Gap?

I really enjoy my SS General. I haven't zoned in on one blade yet for it. I have tried the Feather Professionals, Supers, and Schick Prolines in it. I have yet to try the ProGuards or Protouchs in it.

@96-foxtrot, from what I’ve read the brass general is a bit heavier than the SS version. The design should be the same, only the metal is different.

Glad that you’ve trued the Schick Prolines, a favorite blade here!

@DELove, Hi Kenrick!
I really love my ATT SE1 too, and had ignored the brass general. Don’t know why, but seems I am becoming more blade and razor agnostic ;), though I certainly have my favorites...
I had a spectacular shave today with my brass General and a Schick blade. Super shave. The two razors are very close. But I give the edge to the s-1. Though I can get a beautiful shave from either one with no problem.

I’ve shaved with both the Brass and SS Generals, and the shave feel is similar across both. The Brass Head is a touch heavier but, interestingly, you get a tad more blade feel (in a good way) with the SS. Both are very smooth but I ended up keeping just the SS. Funny, at one point I was going to keep the Brass and get the head assembly plated in rhodium. I wonder if anyone’s done that already.
The SE-1 is slightly more efficient IMO. I’ve been reaching for it more lately as I’m making my way through a blade sampler.
Both the General and SE-1 are top class SE’s though.

I’ve shaved with both the Brass and SS Generals, and the shave feel is similar across both. The Brass Head is a touch heavier but, interestingly, you get a tad more blade feel (in a good way) with the SS. Both are very smooth but I ended up keeping just the SS. Funny, at one point I was going to keep the Brass and get the head assembly plated in rhodium. I wonder if anyone’s done that already.
The SE-1 is slightly more efficient IMO. I’ve been reaching for it more lately as I’m making my way through a blade sampler.
Both the General and SE-1 are top class SE’s though.

The OP had his replated @imatabor. I believe there is a thread here somewhere where it is described in detail with a couple of pics. It actually looks very, very nice...

Movie Night shave. Went with the Brass General, Schick Proline and the B&M Seville line up. A fantastic shave in the end and smelling like a Million Buck$$$. The Brass General is just plain awesome....

C2009F82-5483-4C66-AAD1-B0D7408C445A.jpeg

Top Bottom