What's new

Brass General thoughts

I’m probably in the minority here but, I’ll say it anyways. To me and it’s just my personal opinion and experience, this is the best razor that the House of Colonial Razors ever produced, period. I’ve shaved with every iteration, SS, Alum & V2 variant. All of them shave very well. But, this one is an epiphany for shavers that want one of the best combos in both smoothness and efficiency. Smooth, mild and oh so deceptively efficient with one’s choice of AC blades. Tonight I installed a once used Feather Pro and this razor is just so smooth on the face. Yes, a bit heavy & bulky but, that just gives it personality and character. Best of all, the Brass Gen. with a Pro Super installed is just a thing of shave beauty. The only other razor that tames this ferociously sharp blade is the Paradigm Ti SE. Yet, for me the Brass Gen. just gives me a slightly better feeling shave with improved blade feel and about 95% of the Paradigm Ti’s ease of skin feel. It is a real shame that this razor was dropped from production by Colonial. Weight might be it’s Achilles heel for some but, that same negative turns it into a razor that does all the work without having to worry about exerting an ounce of pressure during the shave. Phenomenal performer.....

376045A2-AC14-4663-9EE8-FA1B46ED846E.jpeg

I’m probably in the minority here but, I’ll say it anyways. To me and it’s just my personal opinion and experience, this is the best razor that the House of Colonial Razors ever produced, period. I’ve shaved with every iteration, SS, Alum & V2 variant. All of them shave very well. But, this one is an epiphany for shavers that want one of the best combos in both smoothness and efficiency. Smooth, mild and oh so deceptively efficient with one’s choice of AC blades. Tonight I installed a once used Feather Pro and this razor is just so smooth on the face. Yes, a bit heavy & bulky but, that just gives it personality and character. Best of all, the Brass Gen. with a Pro Super installed is just a thing of shave beauty. The only other razor that tames this ferociously sharp blade is the Paradigm Ti SE. Yet, for me the Brass Gen. just gives me a slightly better feeling shave with improved blade feel and about 95% of the Paradigm Ti’s ease of skin feel. It is a real shame that this razor was dropped from production by Colonial. Weight might be it’s Achilles heel for some but, that same negative turns it into a razor that does all the work without having to worry about exerting an ounce of pressure during the shave. Phenomenal performer.....

View attachment 1195234
The Brass General is the one that made me love AC SE shaving! I haven’t been able to get one but I was fortunate to try John’s nickel plated one. Love the weight and feel...really smooth shaver. I wish they would continue producing them!

View attachment 1195234
You're getting a lovely patina on that brass - mine is not nearly so developed and I've owned it since its release. I agree with you wholeheartedly however. I've been using the old black aluminum for a more agile change of pace but I think I need to bring this one back into my rotation.

I know that many of you have moved on from the Brass General and that the Core is all the rage but I have never been known to be on the cutting edge.

A kind member has let me borrow his Brass General. I have and love the aluminum older brother so I jumped at the chance to try this one.

First thing is this thing is a beast. I know that brass is heavier than aluminum but I was shocked at the weight of this thing!

Second the bare brass doesn't thrill me. Some here have talked about how beautiful it is but I think it looks plain. Now give it some time to let the brass age and I might change my mind.

Third and the most important is the shave. I put in a new Feather Pro and went to town. I found the aluminum General to be almost brainless. Some one said it well when they said it just wants to shave. The brass was the same but different. The angle was almost no brainer but it is more aggressive. The blade feel was the same but I guess the weight added to its aggression. Ended up with a close shave but with several small weepers (something I never got from the Aluminum General ).

Final thoughts are that I will give it a few more shaves to tweek my shaves before I make a final decision.
ANYONE KNOW OF SOMEONE MAKING A COPPER RAZOR???? I am an electrician and that would just be C OOOOOOOO L :)

Felt like having an SE shave today and I wanted it to be smooth yet effective in bringing down whiskers that would be devastating to the hairs but, ultra nice on the skin. That was an easy choice in my shave den, the Brass General. It works extremely well with any blade one uses and in my experience once a Feather Pro Super is installed, it transforms this mild mannered hair reducer into a smooth slicing whisker whacking ninja. Blade feel is slightly enhanced by the natural origin of the Pro Super being slightly wider than the Feather Pro. And that tiny margin in extra width makes all the difference in producing a masterful shave once the Brass General & Pro Super are in unison. The weight of the razor with that fine Japanese steel is a perfect union of shave feel nirvana. Performance and the end result is just exquisite. The feel is unique and solely owned by this razor. For me it combines a perfect union of cutting prowess and superb comfort that only a handful of razors match and arguably surpass regardless of tool classification in either the DE, SE or Injector world.

Just pure class and a true modern classic….

9B65353A-751A-4B5C-9BC2-9AAB5D764963.jpeg

Felt like having an SE shave today and I wanted it to be smooth yet effective in bringing down whiskers that would be devastating to the hairs but, ultra nice on the skin. That was an easy choice in my shave den, the Brass General. It works extremely well with any blade one uses and in my experience once a Feather Pro Super is installed, it transforms this mild mannered hair reducer into a smooth slicing whisker whacking ninja. Blade feel is slightly enhanced by the natural origin of the Pro Super being slightly wider than the Feather Pro. And that tiny margin in extra width makes all the difference in producing a masterful shave once the Brass General & Pro Super are in unison. The weight of the razor with that fine Japanese steel is a perfect union of shave feel nirvana. Performance and the end result is just exquisite. The feel is unique and solely owned by this razor. For me it combines a perfect union of cutting prowess and superb comfort that only a handful of razors match and arguably surpass regardless of tool classification in either the DE, SE or Injector world.

Just pure class and a true modern classic….

View attachment 1396372
I love Feather Pros and now I feel I should try the Supers, but not in the SE2.

ANYONE KNOW OF SOMEONE MAKING A COPPER RAZOR???? I am an electrician and that would just be C OOOOOOOO L :)

Atelier Durdan makes the La Faulx SE in multiple alloys from Stainless, Titanium, Brass & Copper. Shoot him an email in what you’re looking for. He’s a class act, easy to talk too and very accommodating.

This is the cream of the crop of SE razors for me, the Brass General. No longer available and I’m not telling anyone to go out and find one one asap because honestly, it’s nearly impossible to find one. This razor rarely ever pops up on the b/s/t and other auction sites. But, if it does it is a razor worth acquiring if reasonably priced.

Stirling Gin & Tonic backed up the Brass General paired with a Schick Proline that just brought the hammer to the whiskers in 3 easy passes. Not to mention with a nice mentholated feel to cool off from the heat.

Brass General & Stirling are a most excellent combination especially in the scorching heat. But, I’d bet they’d both work in the cooler days as well.

B889DF0B-44DC-4BF7-B106-93631FE0B1B0.jpeg

This is the cream of the crop of SE razors for me, the Brass General. No longer available and I’m not telling anyone to go out and find one one asap because honestly, it’s nearly impossible to find one. This razor rarely ever pops up on the b/s/t and other auction sites. But, if it does it is a razor worth acquiring if reasonably priced.

Stirling Gin & Tonic backed up the Brass General paired with a Schick Proline that just brought the hammer to the whiskers in 3 easy passes. Not to mention with a nice mentholated feel to cool off from the heat.

Brass General & Stirling are a most excellent combination especially in the scorching heat. But, I’d bet they’d both work in the cooler days as well.

View attachment 1688391
I agree with your assessment Gus. The Brass General is a fantastic razor. I need to break mine out soon.

August 9, 2023
Brass General
Kai Captain Protouch MG
Simpson CH2 Synthetic
SV Felce Aromatica
Shave Soap & Aftershave

@GlazedBoker I finally got around to pulling out my Brass General. It has been a long time since I have used the razor. This morning I was reminded just how good it shaves for me. I really need to use the General more often.

That patina Clint is freakin awesome! And always, a fabulous shot of your gear. :thumbup:

Top Bottom