What's new

Brass General thoughts

I know that many of you have moved on from the Brass General and that the Core is all the rage but I have never been known to be on the cutting edge.

A kind member has let me borrow his Brass General. I have and love the aluminum older brother so I jumped at the chance to try this one.

First thing is this thing is a beast. I know that brass is heavier than aluminum but I was shocked at the weight of this thing!

Second the bare brass doesn't thrill me. Some here have talked about how beautiful it is but I think it looks plain. Now give it some time to let the brass age and I might change my mind.

Third and the most important is the shave. I put in a new Feather Pro and went to town. I found the aluminum General to be almost brainless. Some one said it well when they said it just wants to shave. The brass was the same but different. The angle was almost no brainer but it is more aggressive. The blade feel was the same but I guess the weight added to its aggression. Ended up with a close shave but with several small weepers (something I never got from the Aluminum General ).

Final thoughts are that I will give it a few more shaves to tweek my shaves before I make a final decision.

I don't have an aluminum version to compare it to, but I am very pleased with my Brass General. I do own both Cobra razors, a V1 Mongoose, and an ATT SE1, and to me, the Brass General is as good as any of them, and milder and smoother, too. I prefer milder razors, and the Brass model feels just about perfect to me. So far, after two shaves using the Feather AC Pro blade, I have had two BBS shaves without any nicks, cuts, weepers, or any irritation whatsoever. I agree that its looks are not prepossessing, but Colonial warned that it was not a "jewelry finished" razor at the time I ordered. Even so, I'll bet that some Brasso and elbow grease will improve its overall appearance markedly--and 28 years in the military lends some experience in brass polishing.

I only have the black aluminum version and can say it is used at least 3 days a week in my rotation. I only use it and my Schone OC at the current time as they seem to be the only razors I own right now that get the job done efficiently. I wasn't real crazy for the looks of the brass model Colonial did and that is what has kept my from buying one and besides, I am waiting for the stainless version to be released...

Don't be too hasty @imatabor. Give it a few shaves. Yes, it is a simple looking razor. But that's the beauty of it, simplicity. And let's face it. How many all brass razors are out there that are configured for Artist Club style blades? Anyone? Number? Take a guess? Exactly......0. It is exclusive and rare. And for the price it's as good as they come. Mild yes, but very few can give as close a shave while still being efficient and comfortable to boot. And in my opinion, paired with a Feather Pro Super, probably the best SE for under a $100. (I haven't tried the SS Hawk from RR, but hopefully when they are back in stock I can get my hands on one and compare.)

Don't be too hasty @imatabor. Give it a few shaves. Yes, it is a simple looking razor. But that's the beauty of it, simplicity. And let's face it. How many all brass razors are out there that are configured for Artist Club style blades? Anyone? Number? Take a guess? Exactly......0. It is exclusive and rare. And for the price it's as good as they come. Mild yes, but very few can give as close a shave while still being efficient and comfortable to boot. And in my opinion, paired with a Feather Pro Super, probably the best SE for under a $100. (I haven't tried the SS Hawk from RR, but hopefully when they are back in stock I can get my hands on one and compare.)
Not being hasty at all. Just experiencing the learning curve.

IMG_0079.GIF

What??

LOL!!!!

Enjoy the shaves. I think you will come around to like the shave it gives. I think the weight of the razor helps. But then again, you might like light razors so it's tough to say. Either way have fun with it..... :thumbup:

I have a General aluminum head and I have the brass General. I also have the ATT SE razor. I think the ATT and the General shave the same. I can't tell the difference. I like the aluminum head General paired with a stainless steel handle. I thought it was perfect. Then I bought the brass one and I find they shave the exactly the same.
I have been switching back and forth between the two Generals and enjoy them both.

The reason I got the brass one was partly because like 'GlazedBloker' said, it's a unique razor. A one of a kind. I do not plan on polishing it at this time. I want to see it get that used look to it. However I never did like the plain handle. I almost did not buy it because of that. Now I'm glad I did.

I ended up getting a different handle for my brass General.

View attachment 798018
Ooooo - where did you get that? I have looked high and low to find one and haven't been able to.

I'd like to find a bigger one than comes with it. How is the one you bought for size, length and weight? I love big and heavy.

I should have mine by Saturday. So far I have their aluminum head and love it.

In a couple of weeks I have two GEM razors coming. A brass Clog Pruf and an MMOC. Can't wait to see how they compare to the brass General.

Ooooo - where did you get that? I have looked high and low to find one and haven't been able to.

I'd like to find a bigger one than comes with it. How is the one you bought for size, length and weight? I love big and heavy.

I should have mine by Saturday. So far I have their aluminum head and love it.

In a couple of weeks I have two GEM razors coming. A brass Clog Pruf and an MMOC. Can't wait to see how they compare to the brass General.

I got it on eBay. It is 87mm (3 7/16") long. Just slightly longer than the one that came with it. It does have some heft to it. I really like it. After owning many razors of all types I think this one is my RAD killer.

(I haven't tried the SS Hawk from RR, but hopefully when they are back in stock I can get my hands on one and compare.)

They are back in stock, I checked earlier today.

I got it on eBay. It is 87mm (3 7/16") long. Just slightly longer than the one that came with it. It does have some heft to it. I really like it. After owning many razors of all types I think this one is my RAD killer.
Can you give me a link? Or PM me with it.

What did you pay for it? It is really nice.

Thanks

I have a Brass General too. It is a very mild shave but one of the best and it is the heaviest razors that I have ever used. My Brass General has the original tapered brass handle, so that may make it heavier. It is in regular rotation with my SS Hawk. The SS Hawk is much nicer the Alum. version of the Hawk and more aggressive than the Brass General but not excessively so.

I like the brass so much that I recently bought a GEM Bullet Tip that has flaking gold plating. I plan to strip the Bullet Tip down to bare brass, so it can patina along with the General.

(I haven't tried the SS Hawk from RR, but hopefully when they are back in stock I can get my hands on one and compare.)

They are back in stock, I checked earlier today.
Ummm, you sure? I'm on the website now and the S/S RR SE DLC shows it is out of stock. Perhaps you're looking at something else? Plus I'm on the notification list for whenever it gets back in stock and I have not received any notification.

"Plus I'm on the notification list for whenever it gets back in stock and I have not received any notification."

Yes, I'm sure it was back in-stock yesterday morning. I checked on a wim when I read at another site that someone had just received one. I was also surprised, as I was on the notification list and didn't recieve any notification either (I was considering buying a second one, I like it that much).

A month ago when I got my first one I was told by IB that they had a back order of about 1000 requests and that any that would become available would likely go fast. Whether that was an accurate number or not I do not know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom