What's new

Bob Dylan Appreciation Thread - Favorite Album/Song/Cover

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think Daniel Lanois was one of the best things to happen to Dylan. He gets Dylan’s voice the best ever. One man’s opinion.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I think Daniel Lanois was one of the best things to happen to Dylan. He gets Dylan’s voice the best ever. One man’s opinion.
Years ago, I saw Lanois live at the City Winery here in Music City. Great show!

He’s great.

I might add: Mark Knopfler is great with Dylan too. I love Knopfler. I listen to his stuff a lot.
Mark Knopfler is outstanding. I saw him live a few times. The first time I saw him in Philadelphia a few years ago, he and his band were the opening act for Dylan. This was when Knopfler was touring for his Privateering album. Then Mark did a few songs with Dylan. It was one of the best concerts I have been to.

Mark Knopfler is outstanding. I saw him live a few times. The first time I saw him in Philadelphia a few years ago, he and his band were the opening act for Dylan. This was when Knopfler was touring for his Privateering album. Then Mark did a few songs with Dylan. It was one of the best concerts I have been to.

Private as Dylan is, there’s no saying Knoffler and he are close; but given their long collaboration it wouldn’t be surprising. Knoffler produced Dylan’s Infidels in 83.

To your point, Knoffler is certainly in the same league as Chet Atkins, Joe Walsh and dare I say Clapton.

When you listen to "When We Was Fab" by George Harrison, you can hear ELO's influence, as Jeff Lynne produced that song and IMO, he has his "fingerprints" all over it. It's Harrison, and all his style and glory, but unmistakably influenced by the sound of ELO brought to you by Jeff Lyne.

In the same way, in Dylan's "Jokerman," has all the glory and style of Bob, but Mark Knoffler's fingerprints are similarly on that song. I beleive that's Knoffler playing the lead in "Sweetheart Like You," too. Almost unmistakable.

I’ve never had the pleasure of seeing him, but Love Over Gold is some guitar virtuosity to be sure. He is a shining master of the instrument.

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
5eece395cc3cac3f3a5556b09a77889b.jpg

Top Bottom