What's new

Bob Dylan Appreciation Thread - Favorite Album/Song/Cover

I'm tempted to say the short answer is, Every One. But that's bias. My favorite from him is Infidels. Lyrically, he skips around good and evil, "Sweetheart Like You," "Man of Peace." As we all know, he's written some good, humorous, deep, image-evoking lyrics, but "In your father's house they're many mansions, each one's got a fire-proof floor," has gotta count towards something! :)

When I was a "kid," I thought Jokerman was about Reagan, but I'll not speak politics--just sharing an observation from when I was about 19.

Scenically he invokes war (Neighborhood Bully, License to Kill), peace (Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight), and his usual political commentaries, "Union Sundown."

Lastly, and maybe most striking is the lineup of musicians on that album. Mick Taylor from the Stones? Are you kidding me? Sly Dunbar from Reggae fame on drums. Mark Knoffler played guitar on nearly every song, and if I'm not mistaken, produced the album. Dylan has always had his pick of musicians, when he calls Eric or George, they come 'a runnin'.

I'm just a garden variety Dylan nut. My opinion is likely by far the most biased and least objective. But life is funny. In '83 I was a freshman in college and was living out which were to become the best 4 years of my life. Did that influence my decision about that album? Not a friggin' chance.

The man could take down Chuck Norris with one punch. Some walk on water, Dylan routinely swims through land! LOL.

Anyways, I vote for Infidels, but Blonde on Blonde, Freewheelin', and a couple of others are right up there too.

You Tube outtakes or alternate versions of songs from Infidels, and you'll see the actual musicians, not the models--like that blonde who plays the "lead" in Sweetheart Like You.

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?

(Hmm, you're right, let me tell the second mother this has been done.)
But would you include this one?
Bob_Dylan_-_Christmas_in_the_Heart.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I mentioned this before: I really like Slow Train Coming, even though the lyrics don't always thrill me. The band is tight. Mark Knopfler is brilliant, as usual.... the melodies are strong, etc.

Question....do any of you know if Dylan still smokes cigarettes?

Cigs or no cigs, I can't believe Dylan's still alive. His motorcycle wreck after Highway 61 almost killed him. As for cigs, I smoked 2 packs a day of Lucky's, Pall Mall, non-filter Kool, and those funny cigs from the 60s to late 70s. No one in college or basic/advanced infantry training after that ever bummed a cig from me. If I didn't quit cigs after my 1st was born, I'd be long dead.

You know, I think I really like this track and virtually the entire Good as I Been to You album. Probably the World Gone Wrong album, too. Both albums all covers of traditional songs, with largely just Dylan and his acoustic guitar, all played straight up.

Dylan seems like a much better guitar player than I thought he was and he really knows this material. I think he is in good voice. These albums contain music that fits Dylan well, unless Dylan does Broadway hits. Most tracks definitely worth listening to. Now if you ask me whether it is very important that the world have Dylan's versions of each of these songs, I might say, "Not really." Does anything here approach the importance to music, culture, life, whatever, of something like Visions of Johanna, I would answer "absolutely not." Do I own these albums. Yes. Have I listened to them much over the decades. No.

Top Bottom