What's new

Bob Dylan Appreciation Thread - Favorite Album/Song/Cover

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Any thoughts on his Christmas album? As much as I like Dylan, I find it unlistenable.
I do have it. I've listened to it a few times during the holidays. I've quite forgotten about it honestly. My favorite Christmas album is Leon Redbone's Christmas Island. A childhood favorite.

Any thoughts on his Christmas album? As much as I like Dylan, I find it unlistenable.
If I have, I have repressed it! I may be alone in having been a big Dylan fan in the past, but thinking that he has put out an awful lot that does not appeal to me, since, say, John Wesley Harding. And as much as I like his backing bands, I do not have a great desire to see him live. From what I hear he has phoned in some bad shows, or at least shows people have not liked. But Dylan has always done whatever he has wanted to do, and I am willing to entertain the thought that he is ahead of me. Maybe I will come around some day. I did to some extent late when Joni Mitchell decided to be a jazz man!

Reminds me of Neil Young in this way. I think Neil has put out some bad material over the years. But he does what he wants. I think his shows are good, though. He does not try to give "Powderfinger" a new melody and arrangement, or decide he needs a different signing voice from time to time!

I wonder if Hendrix was still alive whether I would be saying the same types of things about him.

I do have it. I've listened to it a few times during the holidays. I've quite forgotten about it honestly. My favorite Christmas album is Leon Redbone's Christmas Island. A childhood favorite.
I love Leon Redbone's Christmas Island! It's what I think of as a non-traditional traditional album. My favorite in that type of category is Pink Martini's "Joy To The World". (Which, ironically, doesn't contain the title song.) Dylan's Christmas album takes me out of that space I want to go to when I listen to Christmas music. Some may like it but it's not for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
for ___ and giggles, I put Dylan's Xmas album... I've never heard it.

Edit: unlistenable.... I put on Leon Redbone's Christmas Island. I've never listened to it before... so thx. So far.. it's pleasant.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Redbone's Christmas Island was always a family favorite. That CD was the most played in our house and cars over the holiday.
That's why I love this place. No one, I mean....no one has ever mentioned Leon Redbone's Christmas Island to me ever. I first saw the Frosty the Snowman video in my parent's house in Rocklin, CA back in the late '80s. Not sure why but I was fascinated with it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That's why I love this place. No one, I mean....no one has ever mentioned Leon Redbone's Christmas Island to me ever. I first saw the Frosty the Snowman video in my parent's house in Rocklin, CA back in the late '80s. Not sure why but I was fascinated with it.
It's very nice. I had no idea he's recorded a Christmas album.... his voice works well with the tunes. Parlor Christmas music. ;)

I am willing to entertain the thought that he is ahead of me. Maybe I will come around some day. I did to some extent late when Joni Mitchell decided to be a jazz man!
Talking about late, I'm 62 and I didn't discover Joni Mitchell until last year! I guess I didn't really "discover" her, I knew of her and a couple of her radio hits but I never listened to her work. I think it's when I read that Rolling Stone rated her one of the top 10 songwriters of all time that I thought I should give her a chance. (I like her jazz influences.) I started with "Blue" and "Court and Spark", enjoyed them so much that eventually I bought each of her releases up to and including "Hejira". After that I have to work too hard to try and enjoy her music when I want it to be effortless. As far as Dylan and his holiday album, I don't think the line of thought that he is ahead of me will ever apply. Hearing him rasp and croak through Christmas songs is just bad and painful to listen to. :biggrin1:

It's the album that introduced me to the Night Tripper. ;)
I get cynical about Christmas albums when everyone and their brother puts one out. It's usually just a cheap cash-grab. LB's Christmas Island defies that category. Yes it contains a lot of typical songs you hear but they take on a new life delivered in his distinctive style. My favorite song on the album is "That Old Christmas Moon" which shows that you can put out new and different songs on a Christmas album and they can be just as good or better than the traditional songs. That's what I really like about Pink Martini's Joy To The World Christmas album. It's got a definite Christmas/holiday vibe but there are several original songs with some of the traditional songs sprinkled in. It's different too in that it's kind of a "world album".

Top Bottom