What's new

Blutt plate decision

Hope this photograph is good enough to gain your interest about the Blutt BR-1 w/1.20 base plate. It's my first effort with a light box... I see I need additional light coming from the front... but where I won't cast a shadow. Or maybe I take of the cloth that is filtering the light.... I'll have to try that.

Edit: the SV brush handle needs more light so you can see the beautiful Cocobolo wood grain.
Well, if we’re being ultra-critical about the photograph, I am a huge fan of not-beige backgrounds. Beige signifies the drabness and futility of existence - it is the colour of giving up on life.

You do know what a slippery slope it is to take ‘shave-of-the-day’ pics, right? You’ll start buying more razors and brushes and soaps just because they are photogenic or are a colour that matches something else you use sometimes. Also, artistically, there’s a reason why Van Gogh painted sunflowers rather than boar hair and tubes of shaving cream (and not just because of the risk of nicking an ear with the razor).

Also, also, sorry, I just came straight from the controversial opinions thread so I haven’t adjusted back to voicing normal opinions quite yet. Maybe I should have posted some of this there. In fact I will….

Hope this photograph is good enough to gain your interest about the Blutt BR-1 w/1.20 base plate. It's my first effort with a light box... I see I need additional light coming from the front... but where I won't cast a shadow. Or maybe I take of the cloth that is filtering the light.... I'll have to try that.

Edit: the SV brush handle needs more light so you can see the beautiful Cocobolo wood grain.
Yes my interest is piqued, LOL! Great picture to inspire!
I think the Blutt is on my list (it's been for a while). But time to put the brakes for a bit.
I've already exceeded my razor buying threshold in such a short time. I still have 3 razors that
have yet to arrive.😐

It would be interesting if a "shave stuff photo expert" member from B&B would start an educational thread about photographing our stuff. I don't know if someone's already done it, but I've never seen one!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, if we’re being ultra-critical about the photograph, I am a huge fan of not-beige backgrounds. Beige signifies the drabness and futility of existence - it is the colour of giving up on life.

You do know what a slippery slope it is to take ‘shave-of-the-day’ pics, right? You’ll start buying more razors and brushes and soaps just because they are photogenic or are a colour that matches something else you use sometimes. Also, artistically, there’s a reason why Van Gogh painted sunflowers rather than boar hair and tubes of shaving cream (and not just because of the risk of nicking an ear with the razor).

Also, also, sorry, I just came straight from the controversial opinions thread so I haven’t adjusted back to voicing normal opinions quite yet. Maybe I should have posted some of this there. In fact I will….
I'm color blind... so what colors do you recommend?

My wife helped me pick out the background... she thought it was a light yellow... but she agrees.. it looks beige now. Light Blue, with a bluer light?

Last edited:
I'm color blind... so what colors do you recommend?

My wife helped me pick out the background... she thought it was a light yellow... but she agrees.. it looks beige now. Light Blue, with a bluer light?
If it was up to me I would mainly go with white or black, and then sometimes use colours but go bold rather than pastels. But if you have a nice ivory or light grey that could be nice. I dunno, try the blue, see what you think. I’ve seen your kitchen table and your red teapot (or kettle?) so I know you have refined taste.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If it was up to me I would mainly go with white or black, and then sometimes use colours but go bold rather than pastels. But if you have a nice ivory or light grey that could be nice. I dunno, try the blue, see what you think. I’ve seen your kitchen table and your red teapot (or kettle?) so I know you have refined taste.
My wife has refined tastes.... but we usually agree on things so perhaps it's contagious. They did provide some bolder colors... and I have three different light shades.... blue like morning, bright like midday.. and the golden hour which is what I tried. It might be too warm. I am going to have to get some light from the front to show the brush handles. That might be tricky... as I'm getting pretty close with my phone and could easily cast a shadow.

I might have to break out the big boy camera and my RRS tripod... then do quick edits in Lightroom. I can use a zoom lens that way.... and stay out of the way of the light. I wasn't horribly disappointed for my first try and I was in a bit of a hurry because we're almost out the door for the Arts Festival.

A side note: man, do I love this Blutt with the 1.20.... so clean and smooth. The 7 O'clock blades work well with it too.

You obviously don't need any advice with regard to photography, but my 2 pennies is: get a hand held, adjustable colour temperature fill light(battery powered). With the camera stable, you can move it around to find the area that needs light. I have always wanted to put my shave of the day on my film light box, but it is packed away. I always thought the spooky uplighting would be perfect for those brush handles of yours, there are other ways to rig-up up lighting. Or buy a cheap product tent and set up your SOTD inside it then you can just illuminate the whole thing!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You obviously don't need any advice with regard to photography, but my 2 pennies is: get a hand held, adjustable colour temperature fill light(battery powered). With the camera stable, you can move it around to find the area that needs light. I have always wanted to put my shave of the day on my film light box, but it is packed away. I always thought the spooky uplighting would be perfect for those brush handles of yours, there are other ways to rig-up up lighting. Or buy a cheap product tent and set up your SOTD inside it then you can just illuminate the whole thing!
Thx, Aaron... I ordered some inexpensive tripod mounted LED lights with filters. A hand held would be tough to negotiate. These are USB powered but that will be easy to set up at that Teak table I often use.. or at the light box in the garage.

Some threads invite distraction. This is definitely one of those. Fun for all!

So how come no one mentioned Tatara? Another European line of top quality DEs. Can anyone compare the Blutts or the Lambdas to the Tataras in the same categories?

BTW, another distraction: I wish at least one of these guys would offer a slant. Maybe they could out-shave the ATT S1 or the FOCS. Maybe!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That pic looks fine to me...I have tried that blade a couple of times and hated it.
Found it tuggy and a little unrefined TBH.

I reckon changing to a better blade would elevate this razor for sure.
Which blades would you recommend?

I would definitely try some PolSilvers if you have them.
Or Wizamets....or Gillette Platinum. First one, not easy to
find...2 and 3 easier to source.

This is a bt of a side rant but when you think about it, you can spend
$700 on a piece of beautifully sculpted metal—but the item that performs
the most critical function is a 10 cent blade edge. I always try to remember that.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I would definitely try some PolSilvers if you have them.
Or Wizamets....or Gillette Platinum. First one, not easy to
find...2 and 3 easier to source.

This is a bt of a side rant but when you think about it, you can spend
$700 on a piece of beautifully sculpted metal—but the item that performs
the most critical function is a 10 cent blade edge. I always try to remember that.
I have 249 Wizamets and 100 Gillette Platinum "Light"s. As you can see... I'm so new to DE shaving as opposed to AC shaving, I've only used one of the Wizamets. ;)

I'll use one of each of those.... though for me, the 7 O'clock blacks are pretty smooth. I also have some Perma-Sharps on hand. I liked the King C Gillette blades a lot..... but I've only tried them in my British Flat Bottom Tech so far and I only bought 10 of them. I also have some Personna Labs Platinum "Blue" around... I don't remember how many (It looks like I have ~ 170 of those around) ... I gave some tucks to our youngest son. I have a few tucks of Kai Captains on hand as well. That is for my "premium" blades, though that is subjective. I'm basing that one the opinions of others. I don't know enough to have my own thoughts really.

My plan was to try the above and see how they work in my various razors.

ive only used Nacets in the Blutt so far - and they perform very well!

this razor has such tight tolerances, and is so well-made, with apparent “forgiving” geometries… I think any blade in the top-tier of “sharpness” will work very well

and if you want to try and amp-up the efficiency a smidge… a Kai might be worth trying…

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
ive only used Nacets in the Blutt so far - and they perform very well!

this razor has such tight tolerances, and is so well-made, with apparent “forgiving” geometries… I think any blade in the top-tier of “sharpness” will work very well

and if you want to try and amp-up the efficiency a smidge… a Kai might be worth trying…
I've been using mild razors.... the British Flat Bottom Techs are a little bit more efficient than my Claymore Evo, perhaps, but not much. The Blutt w/1.20 is a full step up in efficiency for me... I don't need the Kai blades at this point... but I do have some.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I figured, we might as well make this "The" Blutt thread since so many people have replied to it.

I had a wonderful shave yesterday morning... an unusual morning shave for me as I'm typically a late afternoon shaver. We had a bunch of stuff to do in the AM and I didn't get a shave in on Friday night as planned so... I was able to track how long the Blutt BR-1 with 1.2 base plated shave lasted. I was still smooth at both the 10 and 12 hour face checks. I did a smooth test again right before bed so let's say 14 or 15 hours and I could feel the whiskers on my upper lip and in the chin area... not bad. I did one small bleeder because I hit that bump again that I had already opened up with the Era L4OC. I can't blame that on the Blutt. I remember going over that spot, making sure I got all the hidden hairs around the bump... and I got too close. A bit of liquid styptic and all was well.

I'm still using the Wizamet Super Iridiums for all these new DE shaves I'm doing. it's giving me a baseline but I might have to start venturing out a bit and try some of my other blades. I know I have a Kai loaded in my Overlander for the next time I have that urge to try it again.

Right now, I am experiencing that problem... I have 4 razors that I just love and I want to use one of them. Oh well.. as I said.. First World problems.

I think I hear the Athena calling my name for tomorrow's shave... and what the goddess wants, the goddess gets. <eg>

RE_Dec1stShave.jpg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I figured, we might as well make this "The" Blutt thread since so many people have replied to it.

I had a wonderful shave yesterday morning... an unusual morning shave for me as I'm typically a late afternoon shaver. We had a bunch of stuff to do in the AM and I didn't get a shave in on Friday night as planned so... I was able to track how long the Blutt BR-1 with 1.2 base plated shave lasted. I was still smooth at both the 10 and 12 hour face checks. I did a smooth test again right before bed so let's say 14 or 15 hours and I could feel the whiskers on my upper lip and in the chin area... not bad. I did one small bleeder because I hit that bump again that I had already opened up with the Era L4OC. I can't blame that on the Blutt. I remember going over that spot, making sure I got all the hidden hairs around the bump... and I got too close. A bit of liquid styptic and all was well.

I'm still using the Wizamet Super Iridiums for all these new DE shaves I'm doing. it's giving me a baseline but I might have to start venturing out a bit and try some of my other blades. I know I have a Kai loaded in my Overlander for the next time I have that urge to try it again.

Right now, I am experiencing that problem... I have 4 razors that I just love and I want to use one of them. Oh well.. as I said.. First World problems.

I think I hear the Athena calling my name for tomorrow's shave... and what the goddess wants, the goddess gets. <eg>

View attachment 1565757
That's an interesting spoon, Kim. :001_smile

Thanks, Eric. My wife inherited it from her grandparents. I've used it for grapefruit for years. I have no idea where it was manufactured.
For some reason this tickled me.

“…and to my grandson-in-law, Kim (the male variety), I bequeath my slightly rusted teaspoon with the odd handle, on condition that he uses it for grapefruit”.

I would have enjoyed that will reading immensely. It has inspired me to think a lot harder about my own last testament and the abundant possibilities for humour and veiled insults that the format offers.

Top Bottom