What's new

Blutt plate decision

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
received this razor yesterday and had my first shave with it this morning…

1.20 plate

VERY NICE!

thanks all for the great advice
I have a firm resolve to wait until next year before making a decision on a high end DE razor... thx so much for weakening it. <eg> ;)... in case you don't know me well enough yet.... eg means "evil grin" and denotes an attempt at humor.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a firm resolve to wait until next year before making a decision on a high end DE razor... thx so much for weakening it. <eg> ;)... in case you don't know me well enough yet.... eg means "evil grin" and denotes an attempt at humor.
Edit: My wife made a couple huge jewelry scores here in Bali... so my Blutt BR-1 with the .86 and 1.2 plates has been shipped. I have no idea how long it takes to get a package from Switzerland to Florida via Swiss Post, but I'm about to find out.

We don't get back to the States until Sept. 21st so hopefully, it will have arrived before we do.

Edit: My wife made a couple huge jewelry scores here in Bali... so my Blutt BR-1 with the .86 and 1.2 plates has been shipped. I have no idea how long it takes to get a package from Switzerland to Florida via Swiss Post, but I'm about to find out.

We don't get back to the States until Sept. 21st so hopefully, it will have arrived before we do.
I don't approve of your plot to defile the razor with yet another Crown handle because I think that is a disservice to a razor of this caliber. You may very well find out that the design of the handle, like my Blackbird, impacts the balance of the razor and therefor defines the makers intention. It is of course your money, but that is my opinion. One I am not alone in.

That being said, congratulations on falling further down the rabbit hole! You will almost certainly have your Blutt and your shiny re-plated Gillettes waiting for you when you get home. Maybe you should really think about getting some blades that are on the dull end of the spectrum, not garbage mind you. I guess you have the Wizamets so...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't approve of your plot to defile the razor with yet another Crown handle because I think that is a disservice to a razor of this caliber. You may very well find out that the design of the handle, like my Blackbird, impacts the balance of the razor and therefor defines the makers intention. It is of course your money, but that is my opinion. One I am not alone in.

That being said, congratulations on falling further down the rabbit hole! You will almost certainly have your Blutt and your shiny re-plated Gillettes waiting for you when you get home. Maybe you should really think about getting some blades that are on the dull end of the spectrum, not garbage mind you. I guess you have the Wizamets so...
I'll try it with the OEM handle first... with the Claymore Evo, the OEM handle is pretty heavy and did assist in driving the razor. That said, the lighter Ti handle made it easier to use and didn't take away from the shave itself, but actually improved it.

We'll see how the Blutt handles. The blades I have on hand: Astra SP greens, Kai, Personna Labs Blue, Wizamets, a few KCG's, I'll start with the .86 plate to get a feel for the razor.

I don't think having 4 razor models is much of a rabbit hole, personally.

Edit: I already own two Timeless Ti Crown handles.. polished and matte. I'll try one of those... no extra money needed.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have the Blutt with 0.99 and 1.20 plates and if you like the Blackbird I think you would be disappointed with the 0.99 plate - it won’t be efficient enough for you. It doesn’t really feel any smoother than the 1.20 plate anyway. And if you wanted a milder feeling option I guess the 0.86 plate is a better choice than the 0.99 (I don’t have the 0.86 but it gets a lot of recommendations).

I know the Blutt website makes the 1.20 plate sound too aggressive - they say it’s for weekly shavers or something like that. It’s nonsense, the descriptions are written for people who haven’t used a DE razor, just to try and indicate that the higher gap plates are progressively more efficient.

Anyway, you will surely find the 1.20 plate is a lot smoother than the Blackbird. It is efficient enough but won’t be quite as efficient as the Blackbird. Compared to the Blackbird the 1.20 Blutt will feel like a more mild and comfortable razor, but it still should have enough efficiency to satisfy you.

The Blutt is excellent, by the way. With the 1.20 plate I find it to be the most comfortable high efficiency razor I’ve used (together with the Rocnel Sailor). And it is really nicely put together.
An update. I’ve had 3 shaves with my Blutt using the.86 base plate. Since then, I’ve used my Overlander twice. To me and my face, they are quite close. The main difference for me is the blade tabs aren’t covered on the Blutt as the are on the Overlander, which means getting around my nose is a bit easier with the Blutt. If Karve covered the tabs but relieved the corners like RR did with their Lupos, that would be a minor improvement.

So, I shaved with the 1.20 base plate for the first time a few hours ago. There is quite an improvement in efficiency at no cost to the smoothness, at least for me. As @Mr. Shavington told me, the Blutt BR-1 is a step up in efficiency from my Claymore Evolution and it certainly is that. This confirms my conclusion about the razors I enjoy. I am quite happy I purchased the Blutt and love both base plates. The 1.2 base plate is as efficient as I’ll ever need. For me, and am never saying “never”, I don’t feel the need to buy either of the very fine Blackland razors so popular here, i.e., the Vector or the Blackbird. I don’t need that level on the efficiency scale.

I have a Lupo 95OC in the queue and I’m hoping it isn’t too much for me. I also have the 72SB base plate so I’ll be able to compare the two like I did with the Blutt BR-1.

The 1.2 base plate is as efficient as I’ll ever need. For me, and am never saying “never”, I don’t feel the need to buy either of the very fine Blackland razors so popular here, i.e., the Vector or the Blackbird. I don’t need that level on the efficiency scale.
The Blutt BR-1 1.20 might be the very best razor I've ever used.

It scores very high on both the "efficiency" and "comfort" scales.
Maybe not a 10/10 in both (or either); but certainly 9/10 in both, for sure.

For me, it's the "easiest' to use, and always produces great results.

Other top razors have their quirks: narrow cutting angle range, requires extra-light pressure, only works with this specific blade, etc. The Blutt is none of that fuss. Just "shave"... and it just works.

An update. I’ve had 3 shaves with my Blutt using the.86 base plate. Since then, I’ve used my Overlander twice. To me and my face, they are quite close. The main difference for me is the blade tabs aren’t covered on the Blutt as the are on the Overlander, which means getting around my nose is a bit easier with the Blutt. If Karve covered the tabs but relieved the corners like RR did with their Lupos, that would be a minor improvement.

So, I shaved with the 1.20 base plate for the first time a few hours ago. There is quite an improvement in efficiency at no cost to the smoothness, at least for me. As @Mr. Shavington told me, the Blutt BR-1 is a step up in efficiency from my Claymore Evolution and it certainly is that. This confirms my conclusion about the razors I enjoy. I am quite happy I purchased the Blutt and love both base plates. The 1.2 base plate is as efficient as I’ll ever need. For me, and am never saying “never”, I don’t feel the need to buy either of the very fine Blackland razors so popular here, i.e., the Vector or the Blackbird. I don’t need that level on the efficiency scale.

I have a Lupo 95OC in the queue and I’m hoping it isn’t too much for me. I also have the 72SB base plate so I’ll be able to compare the two like I did with the Blutt BR-1.
Fantastic to hear you like both the razors and very helpful to learn how the Blutt 0.86 plate stacks up. Sounds like between the Blutt 1.20 and the Overlander I’ve no compelling need to get the 0.86 plate as well. I do like these razors.

Have you considered the Lambda Athena? A new batch should be released any day now and it’s in the same league performance-wise as the Blutt and Overlander, but rather beautifully presented and with an innovative design and a unique kind of shaving feel. If there was ever another razor brand to earn the prestige that Wolfman and Rocnel have, I think Lambda might be it, but the price (for now) is great value for what the Athena is.

Not that you need any more razors, and it’s going to be a while before you’ve used all the ones you bought recently.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Blutt BR-1 1.20 might be the very best razor I've ever used.

It scores very high on both the "efficiency" and "comfort" scales.
Maybe not a 10/10 in both (or either); but certainly 9/10 in both, for sure.

For me, it's the "easiest' to use, and always produces great results.

Other top razors have their quirks: narrow cutting angle range, requires extra-light pressure, only works with this specific blade, etc. The Blutt is none of that fuss. Just "shave"... and it just works.
I still have a few DE razors in my queue waiting for me to get around to them, but I have so say... as of today, the Blutt BR-1 with either base plate is my favorite among the DE's I own. I really enjoyed the close shave I got with the 1.20 and that will most likely end up as my preferred base plate but I can see me using the .86 if I'm having a skin issue or some similar circumstance for its reduced efficiency. I was pleasantly surprised the 1.2 had zero learning curve (again, this is just my own experience) and gave me such a smooth, effortless shave.

I admit, I was a bit nervous before that first WTG stroke, but that immediately dissipated. If I was only going to buy one plate, the 1.20 would be my choice. If someone wants a feel more like the Overlander, as I mentioned above, the .86 will provide that milder shave.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Fantastic to hear you like both the razors and very helpful to learn how the Blutt 0.86 plate stacks up. Sounds like between the Blutt 1.20 and the Overlander I’ve no compelling need to get the 0.86 plate as well. I do like these razors.

Have you considered the Lambda Athena? A new batch should be released any day now and it’s in the same league performance-wise as the Blutt and Overlander, but rather beautifully presented and with an innovative design and a unique kind of shaving feel. If there was ever another razor brand to earn the prestige that Wolfman and Rocnel have, I think Lambda might be it, but the price (for now) is great value for what the Athena is.

Not that you need any more razors, and it’s going to be a while before you’ve used all the ones you bought recently.
The Athena is probably the most beautiful razor I've ever seen. In retrospect, I should have just bought one instead of the Lupo, R41 and 37C HD slant. LOL the price would have been close, I think. Though with the state of the British pound, the R41 and 37C were Very inexpensive, so maybe not.

I'm not regretting buying the ATT X1 AC slant, that I will say... what a lovely shaving razor.

I'll have to think about the Athena.... that's usually dangerous for me.

I can't tell you how impatiently I have been waiting for an update, but I knew eventually it would come. It appears to have been raining safety razors at your location so it's no surprise now that it has taken a while(no offence intended). I am glad that recommendation worked out, but I guess it became redundant since you got an Overlander. At least you skipped the .99 plate and didn't add it last minute.

I am actually glad to hear that the .86 is close to the Overlander as I have no intent on getting one, but I wanted to know why people have been raving about them since they came out. This sounds like a good alternative for those without one that want the ability to have two razors in one, like my Tatara. But the new Green Cult has my name on it unfortunately...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

The accompanying photograph with the Blutt BR-1 with its 1.20 base plate:
RE-SOTD 10_19_2022.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Me too! Lol!!
I've been glancing at it for months and this darn thread doesn't do me any good🤣
Hope this photograph is good enough to gain your interest about the Blutt BR-1 w/1.20 base plate. It's my first effort with a light box... I see I need additional light coming from the front... but where I won't cast a shadow. Or maybe I take of the cloth that is filtering the light.... I'll have to try that.

Edit: the SV brush handle needs more light so you can see the beautiful Cocobolo wood grain.

Top Bottom