What's new

Blutt plate decision

Cross posting this in Lambda Athena thread:

Has anyone who has used both the Blutt 1.20/0.99/0.86
and the Lambda Athena got any observations as to how they
might compare?

Thanks!
I think an interesting comparison would be between the Athena and the Blutt 0.86 plate, but I don’t have that plate. The Blutt 1.20 is significantly more efficient than the Athena, but it has some blade feel and even though the Blutt 1.20 is very smooth for an efficient razor, the Athena is way smoother since it has no blade exposure and no blade feel. I have the Blutt 0.99 plate but it’s hard to compare - the Athena is of course smoother, but I’m not sure the Blutt 0.99 is more efficient - if it is it’s not by very much.

I like my Blutt 1.20 and Athena pretty equally. They are both among the best razors you can get today, but one is highly efficient (but nicely smooth) and the other is extremely smooth (but nicely efficient). I just don’t know what the Blutt 0.86 is like.

Does this help? If you want a highly efficient razor and don’t mind some blade feel (which is unavoidable) then get the Blutt 1.20. If you want a smooth, comfortable razor that is still satisfyingly efficient then get the Athena, or try the Blutt 0.86.

For looks, interesting design, and finish quality, the Athena is in a different league. But both razors are extremely well made.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I like my Blutt 1.20 and Athena pretty equally. They are both among the best razors you can get today, but one is highly efficient (but nicely smooth) and the other is extremely smooth (but nicely efficient). I just don’t know what the Blutt 0.86 is like.
Thank you, even if I am slightly derailing this.
This was very helpful for me, though not regarding the Blutt, I am wondering if my preference of the Athena looks over the Ares will suffice for me, as I in general like more aggressive razors. I see only one solution, let's see what the third Lambda razor will be. Fancy looks and aggression more in the Ares range would be appreciated.
I should throw a dice if I can't decide once Ares and Athena are available again, or just take the first one to show up in the shop again...^^

Thank you, even if I am slightly derailing this.
This was very helpful for me, though not regarding the Blutt, I am wondering if my preference of the Athena looks over the Ares will suffice for me, as I in general like more aggressive razors. I see only one solution, let's see what the third Lambda razor will be. Fancy looks and aggression more in the Ares range would be appreciated.
I should throw a dice if I can't decide once Ares and Athena are available again, or just take the first one to show up in the shop again...^^
For the quality Lambda offers, I think if you are on the fence you should just buy it. The price is really low for what it is, including the beautiful mahogany box. It is such a good razor there will always be people who want it - more as the brand becomes known. The Athena is unique - nothing else performs quite like it and it is worth buying just for that. If you ever decide to sell it you will probably get at least what you paid, and maybe a lot more if you hang on to it and the razor someday gets the recognition it deserves.

Can you point to anything on the Athena that is inferior to a Wolfman, other than the price? What is it, €170 plus shipping?

Last edited:
I would think Athena. It's a fun experience to try the paradox of a mild yet ridiculously (relatively of course) efficient razor.

Anyway, I agree with @Mr. Shavington that the Blutt 1.2 is more efficient than the blackbird SB and way smoother.
That's not exactly the way I read it in post #6 of this thread.

+1 I agree with @guitarslinger completely…smoother than the Blackbird and not as aggressive.

To me, efficiency wise there is no debate that the Blackbird is more blade forward and more efficient than the Blutt 1.20. I really enjoy the Blutt 1.20, more so than the Athena for me. In fact because of this thread I’m making it my SOTD.

-I no longer have the Athena as the Karve Overlander to me is just as smooth (maybe smoother) and just as efficient, depending on selection of blade (Kai or Feather is what I used in both).

-Of note, at first my Overlander was not better than the Athena due to drag. Once my Overlander got the 24k plating treatment it became its own animal. Ever since the Overlander shaved better than the Athena -without a doubt, for my face of course. Some may have a different experience. Although I like the Athena head for its engineering ingenuity, I was not a fan of the baseball bat handle.

-
:001_wub:
Blutt 1.20 is staying in the den for the foreseeable future. Super smooth and efficient enough to get the job done. Highly recommend this razor!

Last edited:
I have the Blutt 0.99 plate but it’s hard to compare - the Athena is of course smoother, but I’m not sure the Blutt 0.99 is more efficient - if it is it’s not by very much.

Reason I asked is because I am not going to follow the time honoured "just get both"
approach hehe.

These days Im leaning more towards ridiculously comfortable and acceptable efficiency.
I have convinced myself that super efficient razors, while providing a great post shave
skating rink feel, are not doing my skin any favours.

In this match-up – Blutt 0.99 vs Athena – the latter is winning.

If I really want hyper efficient wolfman 1.85/2mm territory, the Sailor and Taiga
can handle it. But why?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
These days Im leaning more towards ridiculously comfortable and acceptable efficiency.
I have convinced myself that super efficient razors, while providing a great post shave
skating rink feel, are not doing my skin any favours.
I think it is part of the shaving journey. A bit like valley and hills/mountains. Maybe some people will end their journey at a happy medium, I do not intend to stop anytime soon. There are still enough collectable razors out there to kill the budget. 🤪

I get more reports about the Athena characteristics, the Ares is also going to be a slightly updated V2 version.

Let's see which one I will get in the end.

And let's don't forget there is a whole Pantheon of gods worthy a razor... 😎

There are also economic considerations: Switzerland is not part of the EU and besides the higher price customs will have their share, and the finish is of the super exciting matte kind. I think I am getting a lot more, particularly bling, with the Athena/Ares.

I find it quite interesting how throwing the Lambda razors into a Blutt thread somehow lead to a better understanding of both. 👍

Top Bottom