What's new

bluetooth music receiver

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I briefly looked at a couple and went with a tp link bluetooth music receiver to plug into my amplifier. It allows me to hook up to 5 devices and has a good range, receiving from a few rooms away and was cheap as chips, the best $50 I've spent in a long time. I don't know why it took me so long to get one.
This simple plug in has given my now aging Denon amp a new lease of life.

Now to find a good variety of radio stations streaming music. Maybe some classical music stations. Any recommendations welcome.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Spotify. A free account will give you access to all the content but there will be ads, and you can only skip songs a certain number of times. I pay for the family account for my wife and myself and have given premium access to a few others as well.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Spotify, iheart radio, and Amazon music, are the free ones i use (Amazon music, basic version, is included with Prime membership). Also, if you have a favorite radio station, see if they have a streaming service available. For example, 91.7 KXT is our local public music station here and they offer streaming directly from their website.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
In our home re-build I had them install a light in my master bath that has a Bluetooth speaker. It’s pretty cool.
We haven’t moved back yet but when we do it will get plenty of use.
We use Apple Music, Pandora, and IHeartRadio!

Besides the ones mentioned radioparadise.com can be good at times. Some classic rock and pop but mostly songs out of the mainstream.

I still have not found a blues station to replace my local college station WSHA, broadcasting from Shaw University. And their late night Jazz program. I have never been so disappointed to see a station sell out and change formats. I read that there were some good jazz/blues stations broadcasting from Switzerland if my memory is correct, but I have not found them.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I downloaded a local radio app Rova - Stay Tuned which in general is ok but does not fill all my wants.
Also a local student radio station which I had not listened to in years, radio active. I've not tuned in to hear what it like now but it's there for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded the iheart app and will check that out to start with.
ABC Classic FM playing for a change of pace as I type. :)

Spotify, iheart radio, and Amazon music, are the free ones i use (Amazon music, basic version, is included with Prime membership). Also, if you have a favorite radio station, see if they have a streaming service available. For example, 91.7 KXT is our local public music station here and they offer streaming directly from their website.

I downloaded the Amazon app as I have a Prime membership but don't seem to be able to play anything. It just prompts me to start the 30 trial. Maybe it's could be I'm in NZ.

In our home re-build I had them install a light in my master bath that has a Bluetooth speaker. It’s pretty cool.
We haven’t moved back yet but when we do it will get plenty of use.
We use Apple Music, Pandora, and IHeartRadio!

I've contemplated putting some speakers in the bathroom. That light and speaker set up sounds good,
music to shave by.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you can get the app Receiver it’s pretty decent. I think they have a free and a paid version. You can pick up radio stations all over the country (at least here in the US anyway), not sure about NZ.

As far as internet radio I recently discovered Free Internet Radio | AccuRadio Online
They have all the free genres you could imagine. Very limited commercials too.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Besides the ones mentioned radioparadise.com can be good at times. Some classic rock and pop but mostly songs out of the mainstream.

I still have not found a blues station to replace my local college station WSHA, broadcasting from Shaw University. And their late night Jazz program. I have never been so disappointed to see a station sell out and change formats. I read that there were some good jazz/blues stations broadcasting from Switzerland if my memory is correct, but I have not found them.

I support radioparadise. They have a balance of things that fits me.

I use the TuneIn Radio app on my iPod to stream http://www.northseasurfradio.org/
Surf, Spy, Spaghetti Western, Horror, Rautalanka, and Eleki.
No ads, no vocals. :thumbup1:
proxy.php

Thanks, I will check out the jazz radio one for sure. There are so many genres of jazz, some I like and some I do not. Hard to even describe.
I support radioparadise. They have a balance of things that fits me.
I supported them in the past as well, when I listened to them a lot and used their higher bit rate stream. Maybe I should support them again as I have started to use their smartphone App instead of listening on the home stereo. The App is nice and buffers well when accessing over a slow network.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the Amazon music app...it looks and works great.

Good stuff. What sort of system are you playing it through.
I'm going from my phone or laptop via Bluetooth to my Denon amp and through the Mission 704 speakers.

I was playing some classical music from Radio New Zealand Concert station the other day. The wee wifey came home and I was going to turn it off. She said to leave it on as she was enjoying it, which surprised me.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Good stuff. What sort of system are you playing it through.
I'm going from my phone or laptop via Bluetooth to my Denon amp and through the Mission 704 speakers.

I was playing some classical music from Radio New Zealand Concert station the other day. The wee wifey came home and I was going to turn it off. She said to leave it on as she was enjoying it, which surprised me.
I mainly listen to it in my car. Don't have a bluetooth capable receiver/amp in the house. I guess I could run it through my computer, I've got some studio speakers hooked up one that I use in my music room. I bet it would sound awesome through those.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I mainly listen to it in my car. Don't have a bluetooth capable receiver/amp in the house. I guess I could run it through my computer, I've got some studio speakers hooked up one that I use in my music room. I bet it would sound awesome through those.

My amp is not Bluetooth capable as well. I bought one of these Bluetooth receivers, not the exact same one, as mine allows 5 devises not eight but other than that it's the same. Small, cheap and easy to hide once set up.
There are a few brands out there but this one was my pick.

I have been a Google Play Music subscriber for a few years. The interface isn't the best but I love the capability of adding 50,000 songs from my library. Still not a fan of MP3s but I simply have no place to display/use thousands of CDs. I cast to a pair of Sonos 1 speakers and all is good in the world. Except finding storage space for all the bins holding CDs.

I have been a Google Play Music subscriber for a few years. The interface isn't the best but I love the capability of adding 50,000 songs from my library. Still not a fan of MP3s but I simply have no place to display/use thousands of CDs. I cast to a pair of Sonos 1 speakers and all is good in the world. Except finding storage space for all the bins holding CDs.
Many years ago I ripped most of my CD collection to FLAC format to play through a squeeze box. Perhaps I should "upload" these files to the Google play service to access them from wherever.

Did you or anyone ever try YouTube Red? Last year (I think?) I was prodded everytime I watched a few YouTube concert videos to sign up for this new service that appeared to be focused on music streaming.

Top Bottom