What's new

Blade Wars: Razor Edition - Merkur 34c vs Edwin Jagger DE89

If you're thinking of asking Santa to bring you one of the most popular safety razors on the planet and you'd like some help choosing between them, this thread may help.

I'll compare a Merkur 34c and an Edwin Jagger DE89 side-by-side, shaving half my face with each razor. I've loaded them both up with a new Gillette Silver Blue blade from the same box. I am comfortable with GSBs and have had excellent results with them in the past. It is one of the most popular DE blades out there for good reason.

Of course, this isn't a blind test, as I can see which razor is in my hand. But I'll try my best to keep the conditions identical for each razor during each shave and report on what I see, feel, and think. I invite you to chime in and comment as you see fit. Unfit comments are also welcome.

Do you have a favorite between the two? Which do you think will emerge the winner?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I started my journey with the 34C. Like your first girlfriend (or boyfriend), it holds a special place in my heart. I’ve recently won the EJ DE89. It’s beauty is matchless. Rolls-Royce chrome. Performance? I think I give the slight edge to my first girlfriend.

Good test, I see both of those razors mentioned together quite often. I am partial to the DE89, it was my training razor. Interested in seeing the results.

This will be interesting! I began my DE journey with both the 34C and DE89 and for me the 34C was the more efficient shaver. I'm looking forward to seeing your review. :thumbup1:

Shave 1
DE89=right side of my face, 34c=Left side of my face
Face lathered with Cella

Pass 1 - The DE89 was extremely smooth. Great pass. The 34c had some prickle to it, not uncommon for the first pass with a sharp, new blade.
Pass 2 - Both razors were smooth and comfortable. There was a little more blade feel with the 34c.
Pass 3 - The DE89 was very smooth. I could feel just the slightest resistance. The 34c had a tiny bit more resistance.

I have a close, irritation-free shave. I don't think either side of my face has a discernibly closer shave.

Because it was a little smoother and more comfortable, the advantage after the first shave goes to the DE89.

I have both razors and for me the 34c wins every time. For some reason, no matter what I do, I get irritation on my neck with my DE89. The 34c always leaves me with a close, irritation free shave. Not sure what the difference is, but the 34c is a better performer for me. The DE89 definitely wins the pretty factor.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have one Jagger, and one Merkur ... but it's a different head, so I can't comment on the 34C. However, the EJ 3D Diamond is my primary razor, and I don't find it lacking in any way.

I have neither, but the 34C is definitely on my RAD list either as a new one or a vintage (34, Henckels, Hoffritz). I honestly find it one of the visually prettiest razor designs. YMMV.

This should make for a great Razor War. I started using a safety razor a little over 2 years ago with an EJ de86 which is the same head as the de89. I've tried a few others, but never a Merkur, and none have replaced my EJ which is the only razor I use. The chrome plating is flawless and it's the perfect razor for my skin/beard combo. It's the best $26 I've ever spent.

Never tried the EJ; lost my first 34c HD to plate loss and have since moved on to Gillette’s and RRs. I would definitely buy the 34 again though at some point.

I purchased both at the same time when I retired and decided to end my lifetime of sporting a beard. I had used cartridge razors and canned foam to trim around my neck and upper lips occasionally. Like I said, I purchased both razors because they were both highly recommended and they have not disappointed. They knurling on the 34c is a little easier to grip for me, but the handle on the DE89 is certainly not difficult to grip. The DE89 has a little nicer chrome finish. Both are excellent razors and If I absolutely had to choose between the two I might opt for the DE89, but would be happy if I only had the 34c as well. I've since collected some nice vintage Gillettes and keep them in my rotation as well. Also, I now have a Feather AS-D2 but I honestly must admit the 34c and DE89 perform as well as any razors I've ever used.

I have them both and like them both. Well, actually my Jagger is a DE87 (same head as the DE89 but with faux ivory handle). Couldn't tell you which I like better.

Shave 2
34c=right side, DE89=left side

I had an enjoyable two-pass shave this morning. Both passes shared the same quality. The 34c gave more feedback; I could feel the blade and hear it more. The DE 89 was a little smoother. The handle of the DE89 is heavier (the 34c's handle is hollow,) and that might account for the difference.

It reminds me of years ago when I took two similar cars for text drives - a Honda Accord and a Toyota Camry. Like these razors, they are popular models that are similar in class. But they had a different feel to them. The Camry had softer suspension, and the ride was smoother - maybe a little more luxurious. The Accord was more responsive and had more road feel.

The DE89 is more like the Camry. It smooths out the bumps better. The 34c is more like the Accord - it is more responsive. Which gave me a better shave today? Neither. They were both great.

Advantage: tie

Excellent analogy with the Camry and Accord. I prefer the softer suspension and less road feel as I like the smootheness from my razors.

Both passes shared the same quality. The 34c gave more feedback; I could feel the blade and hear it more. The DE 89 was a little smoother. The handle of the DE89 is heavier (the 34c's handle is hollow,) and that might account for the difference.

Does the Merkur 34C have a little more blade exposure? Are the guard spans similar? Does the 34C have more of the blade sticking out from the razor?

Shave 3
DE89=right, 34c=left

Today's shave was very similar to yesterday's. The EJ is a little smoother, the Merkur a little more responsive. The whiskers on my chin are tough, and the DE89 seems to get through them a little more easily - my guess is that because it is a little heavier, so I'm exerting a little more pressure with it.

Neither razor gave me an appreciably superior (or inferior) shave.

Top Bottom