What's new

Blackland Brotherhood - B³

20525361-38E7-4B34-941D-74511EF7C720.jpeg

(radio announcer voice)

YET ANOTHER SATISFACTORY BLACKBIRD SHAVE!

I am loving these SOTD pics... I need to get one taking more and showing them here.

Just curious, does anyone have pics of the polished brass or machined brass after some use to get an idea of the patina?

I am loving these SOTD pics... I need to get one taking more and showing them here.

Just curious, does anyone have pics of the polished brass or machined brass after some use to get an idea of the patina?

My buddy is on here as well and uses both the black oxide and the brass...he posted some pics of the brass awhile back and I went searching for them, but couldn't find them. Help @guitarslinger!

FWIW it's similar to the way the patina goes on the black oxide or even the Karve brass IIRC from the pictures. Nothing huge, just wears from use.

BC95C772-1A56-4458-B431-4477ECE9F4B5.jpeg

Gillette Platinum on (2) is the smoothest and sharpest it gets, B&M is a beautiful scent, and using this WSP for months on end really let me get it dialed. It’s an awesome base. Grizzly Bay kills it every time, I have some nice brushes but I think this one is my favorite. BB perfect as always.

10/10, doesn’t get better.

FWIW it's similar to the way the patina goes on the black oxide or even the Karve brass IIRC from the pictures. Nothing huge, just wears from use.

More or less. The end result is similar, but the mechanisms are not. Black oxide patinas because the (black) oxidation is being worn away over time. The brass patinas because oxidation increases over time. Eventually they wind up in a similar spot. The brass oxidizes everywhere, but the spots you use get worn away (think of brass statues or plaques that get touched in one spot). Polishing decreases the prevalence of oxidation by reducing surface area for it to appear.

More or less. The end result is similar, but the mechanisms are not. Black oxide patinas because the (black) oxidation is being worn away over time. The brass patinas because oxidation increases over time. Eventually they wind up in a similar spot. The brass oxidizes everywhere, but the spots you use get worn away (think of brass statues or plaques that get touched in one spot). Polishing decreases the prevalence of oxidation by reducing surface area for it to appear.

That's super helpful, thanks!

My buddy is on here as well and uses both the black oxide and the brass...he posted some pics of the brass awhile back and I went searching for them, but couldn't find them. Help @guitarslinger!

You called?

proxy.php

proxy.php

The BB is up tomorrow for me. And I can't wait, there is just something so fun about using it. More or less Wolfies or BB seeing all the action in my den lately. Life is good.

Fellas, I posted this in Steiney’s BB review thread and then realized it probably should have been posted here instead. So, please forgive the duplication. Here goes.....

Well, my Blackbird has landed and, one drama-free shave in, I can report that I think it’s going to be a keeper. With one possible exception. I know the Machined finish is supposed to show some machining patterns, and is explained by Blackland as follows:

“This finish proudly shows off the markings created during the process of machining each razor. The intricate, carefully-planned patterns left in the surface tell the story of the Blackbird's journey from solid steel to finished product.”

However, on one end of my top cap there are some marks that appear to have been left unintentionally and somewhat sloppily during the finishing process (i.e. not “carefully-planned”). Would you all just ignore this and put the razor into rotation, or would you contact Blackland to see what they could do to make it right? Or would you disagree that it isn’t right in its current state? Looking for a little guidance here. Thanks!

1CCBFC7D-592C-4677-9CD2-A53902FD27B1.jpeg
426CDF4E-25A0-426E-8FFA-FBFB9AF18B88.jpeg
F6242FE1-6725-4718-9740-7EA8D634642B.jpeg

Hello all, ordered my blackbird and awaiting it. My question is, will my RR barber pole or timeless knurled handle fit it? I didn’t order the handle that comes with it. I know it’s grippy but it’s just not my cup of tea as far as handles go.

Top Bottom