What's new

Blackland Brotherhood - B³

Keep us posted how you like it!
I've had a few new razors come in that are getting the focus, that said the 'Bird never leaves the bathroom and still sees action when newer ones are in the rotation more. I stink at photos and should take more.
I have read nothing but good things about the Blackbird. Made it easy to buy it. Also, owning both the Sabre and Vector made the decision kind of a no brainer for me.

I am fairly certain I end up with the Tradere at some point in time but for now I have a lot of razors to start playing around with.

Lots of love for the bird the past few weeks. Starting to get used to it again and get some great shaves.
20200617_065655.jpg
20200616_230001.jpg
20200615_065103.jpg
20200614_143603.jpg

First shave in. Every first shave with a Blackland has amazed me. Be it the Vector, Sabre and now the Blackbird.

Tools used:

Blackbird SB with the Personna Lab Blue blade(s) that it ships with
Zingari Man Explorer (Sego Base)
Rudy Vey brush (Two tone silvertip badger Shavemac)
Zingari Man Explorer AS Balm

Quick thoughts

I was a little concerned about the razor given the high aggressiveness rating. I was needlessly concerned. That razor was fairly straightforward for me to use and relatively accident free.

Detailed thoughts

The razor was very efficient and smooth. I did pay a good bit of attention while shaving, which is normal for me with every razor, but I got away with just a minor weeper and that is about it. The last shave that I had which was that close was with my ATT SE2 which I tend to have off-days with because I struggle with OC plates.

The razor, while being very smooth, was not quite as smooth as the Sabre is. I have a very small sample size using all 3 razors (Sabre: 3, Vector: 6, Blackbird: 1) so it is not really fair to make a comparison yet but here are some things I can rate them on:

Maneuverability: Vector > Blackbird > Sabre
Smoothness: Sabre > Blackbird = Sabre
Closeness: Blackbird > Sabre = Vector

I think over the next few months my plan is to use a rotation of these razors and see how it goes. Honestly though, if I am in need of a close shave that lasts longer, I have no doubt that I will go to the Blackbird or the ATT SE2. I am still honing my shaving technique, learning my beard growth and learning the razor(s) so I expect to get better (hopefully).

First shave in. Every first shave with a Blackland has amazed me. Be it the Vector, Sabre and now the Blackbird.

Tools used:

Quick thoughts

I was a little concerned about the razor given the high aggressiveness rating. I was needlessly concerned. That razor was fairly straightforward for me to use and relatively accident free.

Detailed thoughts

The razor was very efficient and smooth. I did pay a good bit of attention while shaving, which is normal for me with every razor, but I got away with just a minor weeper and that is about it. The last shave that I had which was that close was with my ATT SE2 which I tend to have off-days with because I struggle with OC plates.

The razor, while being very smooth, was not quite as smooth as the Sabre is. I have a very small sample size using all 3 razors (Sabre: 3, Vector: 6, Blackbird: 1) so it is not really fair to make a comparison yet but here are some things I can rate them on:

I think over the next few months my plan is to use a rotation of these razors and see how it goes. Honestly though, if I am in need of a close shave that lasts longer, I have no doubt that I will go to the Blackbird or the ATT SE2. I am still honing my shaving technique, learning my beard growth and learning the razor(s) so I expect to get better (hopefully).

Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts! I find it shaves quite differently riding the cap vs guard. Keep us posted as you get some more shaves in.

Tools used:

Quick thoughts

Detailed thoughts

Interesting on the smoothness. I actually have both of the BB plates and while I really like the both, the OC plate seems smoother to me in use.

The BB seems to me to be more blade forward than the Sabre and the OC sort of tames that down; this is just IMO, there are some guys that feel the same and some that think the SB plate is smoother for them. Subjective as all hell, this hobby of ours.

Was debating between the Blackbird and the Tradere. Quick discussion with Shane and I ended up going with the Blackbird as it seems to be more in line with what I am looking for. May get the Tradere sometime later this year though.

For now, very excited about trying the Blackbird. Should have it sometime later this week.

Would you mind sharing what factor(s) led you to go with the Blackbird over the Tradere? I'm also deciding between those two razors at the moment.

Would you mind sharing what factor(s) led you to go with the Blackbird over the Tradere? I'm also deciding between those two razors at the moment.
I wanted something more aggressive than the Sabre and Vector. Based on what Shane said, the Tradere offers a similar level as the Vector/Sabre. The Blackbird is more aggressive (but not as much as the number indicates) at the cost of requiring to paying more attention. Just gave me a 'different' option than what I had in the Sabre/Vector.

I wanted something more aggressive than the Sabre and Vector. Based on what Shane said, the Tradere offers a similar level as the Vector/Sabre. The Blackbird is more aggressive (but not as much as the number indicates) at the cost of requiring to paying more attention. Just gave me a 'different' option than what I had in the Sabre/Vector.

Sounds like the Tradere would be more my speed. Thanks for taking the time to share your thought process :thumbsup:

3 shaves in and the level of consistency from the Blackbird is incredible. I was concerned going for the BB because of the high aggressiveness but it really has not been that hard for me to use or figure out. In the 3 shaves I have had 2 total weepers. I do have to pay slightly more attention while using it than say the Vector or Sabre but its well worth it. All 3 shaves were DFS+ bordering on BBS for me (which I have never really achieved or am chasing).

The BB is my benchmark when comparing razors.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
3 shaves in and the level of consistency from the Blackbird is incredible. I was concerned going for the BB because of the high aggressiveness but it really has not been that hard for me to use or figure out. In the 3 shaves I have had 2 total weepers. I do have to pay slightly more attention while using it than say the Vector or Sabre but its well worth it. All 3 shaves were DFS+ bordering on BBS for me (which I have never really achieved or am chasing).

The BB is my benchmark when comparing razors.
Congrats!

I usually get away with no weepers using the Blackbird, but not always as lucky with my Dart. Today I had another face plane session with the Dart and did not have any weepers. Is it me or does the Dart seem to be more aggressive than the OC Blackbird?

I usually get away with no weepers using the Blackbird, but not always as lucky with my Dart. Today I had another face plane session with the Dart and did not have any weepers. Is it me or does the Dart seem to be more aggressive than the OC Blackbird?
I haven't tried the dart yet, but it seems most people think it is and say it has more blade feel. How does it compare efficiency wise?

Both razors will mow down the whiskers regardless of how many days of growth that I have. I do not pursue a second pass with either razor because they are so efficient on the first pass that I cannot justify the risk of irritation for the little bit of whisker that they did not cut on the first pass. They are truly just that efficient. In fact, my face usually feels like wet rubber when I rinse as the shaves truly exfoliate my face. If Shane of Blackland made another razor that rates among these two I would pounce and buy it in a heartbeat. I truly love both of my Blackland razors!

Top Bottom