What's new

Blackland Blackbird vs Lambda Athena

I have had both. The Blackbird did not work for me and the Athena is at the top of my den.

My opinion isn't worth anything. I would ask you - what are you looking for? Do you need something other than the BBird? Do you want less bladefeel? Is this just FOMO? (Which I regularly suffer from)
So just looking for something slightly milder than the blackbird to accompany the blackbird. I also have the vector that I love. I am also a head shaver so just want to add another razor to the den. So far the blackbird and vector have beat everything I have tried .

Both work so differently.

One is like 2 seat Mazda Miata and one a GMC Yukon. One you can feel every bump in and one is like a smooth bump free ride.

Both have their place, but I only enjoy one for the day.
Which one is that?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I hear this a lot, shaving "steep" with the Blackbird.
But I use it "neutral", keeping the beveled portion of the head, angled more flat to my skin.
(the way the Maker intended)

Is the Ti still better?
To me, yes. After the first pass with the Athena, I could still feel stubble on parts of my face - even with a Feather blade. The Blackbird absolutely destroys stubble on the first pass. No contest.

So just looking for something slightly milder than the blackbird to accompany the blackbird. I also have the vector that I love. I am also a head shaver so just want to add another razor to the den. So far the blackbird and vector have beat everything I have tried .

If that is what you are looking for and you really love the BBird, have you considered a Blackbird Lite plate for the days you want a milder shave? Just a thought

Titanium BBLite and Athena user myself. I rotate randomly through these and others. For me it’s a toss up between the two. The BBLite has a very very slight edge on efficiency and both shave very well. The only downside with the Athena, for me, is the weight. I’ve mentioned before that if the Athena came in Ti, I would order without hesitation. The Athena is also the only razor I use for against the grain, 3 times only so far. It’s a “boring” razor, I had a decent sized pimple on my jaw line and had thoughts of it slicing open, but the Athena glided over it.

I was also looking for a razor that I could hand to my wife and have her shave the sides of my head. I totally forgot about the Athena and I might trust her with it. The others, BB, timeless and chiseled face not so much.

What did you not like about the Athena?

The Athena didn't felt very efficient for me and I just didn't like the overall way that it shaves, especially the angle and the way that it glided on my face. While it really does look fantastic, in terms of shaving I was quite disappointed. I do believe that it was probably my fault and not the razor, but I've used many razors throughout the years to know what works for me and what not after only a couple of shaves.

Sadly, in the shaving world, everything is subjective and very specific for each individual. The good thing about the Blackbird is that you have a 30 days test period, so if you don't like it, you can return it and get all of your money back.

Titanium BBLite and Athena user myself. I rotate randomly through these and others. For me it’s a toss up between the two. The BBLite has a very very slight edge on efficiency and both shave very well. The only downside with the Athena, for me, is the weight. I’ve mentioned before that if the Athena came in Ti, I would order without hesitation. The Athena is also the only razor I use for against the grain, 3 times only so far. It’s a “boring” razor, I had a decent sized pimple on my jaw line and had thoughts of it slicing open, but the Athena glided over it.

I was also looking for a razor that I could hand to my wife and have her shave the sides of my head. I totally forgot about the Athena and I might trust her with it. The others, BB, timeless and chiseled face not so much.
This just encouraged me to try the lite base plate, thanks for the info

The Athena didn't felt very efficient for me and I just didn't like the overall way that it shaves, especially the angle and the way that it glided on my face. While it really does look fantastic, in terms of shaving I was quite disappointed. I do believe that it was probably my fault and not the razor, but I've used many razors throughout the years to know what works for me and what not after only a couple of shaves.

Sadly, in the shaving world, everything is subjective and very specific for each individual. The good thing about the Blackbird is that you have a 30 days test period, so if you don't like it, you can return it and get all of your money back.
Thanks for the input, yeah I’m getting mixed reviews on the Athena, some people like it, others don’t. I know I really like the blackbird and might just go for the lite base plate as an option for when I want a milder shave.

I have used multiple reasons, including Wolfman, blackbird, saber, vector, timeless, Razorock, paradigm - and many more – when it comes to with the green, across the green, against the green, so essentially three passes, nothing beats Athena

In that case, I'd suggest you check out the TGS bayonetta.

Gap 0.65mm
Exposure 0.15mm

It's like a blackbird junior!

Which one is that?
The BB Ti is the Miata (light and whips around, but a less comfortable ride). The GMC Yukon or Cadillac Escalade is the Athena, not as nimble, not as fast but a smoother, more comfortable ride.

I have owned at least 3 of each razor above and am familiar with both.

However - I have really sensitive skin (folliculitis and psoriasis) so I’m not a normal case.

I also get a better shave from the Salient than most razors, so for 100 dollars you can’t beat it.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The BB Ti is the Miata (light and whips around, but a less comfortable ride). The GMC Yukon or Cadillac Escalade is the Athena, not as nimble, not as fast but a smoother, more comfortable ride.

I have owned at least 3 of each razor above and am familiar with both.

However - I have really sensitive skin (folliculitis and psoriasis) so I’m not a normal case.

I also get a better shave from the Salient than most razors, so for 100 dollars you can’t beat it.
I owned a Miata once. I nearly died in it when I wrapped it around a tree; but it was a really fun car.

Top Bottom