What's new

Blackbird Titanium

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks NSL! Going back to it today. Shorter strokes. All of it. I’ve had such great shaves with it, I just have to remember my technique.

Think of the Vector as the sports car of SE razors. The head is really light - you have to control it. :cool:

I love my Blackbird Ti but my technique goes in and out from good to bad and I got a less than stellar shave with it the other day meaning there was some irritation after and yet I couldn’t get a bbs shave Under and around my chin even with multiple XTG passes. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? Or maybe I just need to go back to milder razors.
I've got the Blackbird SS and having the same problem.My first shave with it was great but for some reason it's gone a bit rough especially ATG.Can't work out what i'm doing wrong decided to leave it for a while and come back to it.

I've got the Blackbird SS and having the same problem.My first shave with it was great but for some reason it's gone a bit rough especially ATG.Can't work out what i'm doing wrong decided to leave it for a while and come back to it.

Most customers benefit from a shallower angle than normal. So I’d recommend giving that a try if you aren’t currently.

Hey guys.
Just received my Titanium Blackbird today. My country's mail system likes to take its time. Lol

But something is bothering me. Is the thread on the titanium more rough than the stainless one? I've had 3 stainless blackbirds, I still have one of them, and the thread is always top notch. In fact my machine blackbird have the smoothest thread I've use in a razor.
But this titanum one have probalby the roughest thread on any razor I've used. Certainly not a $300 thread.

Is that normal or mine is weird?

It works. But takes more force than I'm confortable using to close it with a blade and I'm fearing for the long term.

Is the Titanum thread rougher than the stainless one?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys.
Just received my Titanium Blackbird today. My country's mail system likes to take its time. Lol

But something is bothering me. Is the thread on the titanium more rough than the stainless one? I've had 3 stainless blackbirds, I still have one of them, and the thread is always top notch. In fact my machine blackbird have the smoothest thread I've use in a razor.
But this titanum one have probalby the roughest thread on any razor I've used. Certainly not a $300 thread.

It works. But takes more force than I'm confortable using to close it with a blade and I'm fearing for the long term.

Mine is fine. Just as smooth as the Stainless and Brass Blackbirds.

Hey guys.

A couple things here. First, and most importantly, titanium threads are always a bit grittier feeling and less smooth compared to stainless. This is due to the grain structure of titanium. Polishing can help reduce this as can lube, but it's just a part of the material.

There are some basic steps you can take to possibly improve it or at least to check for obvious issues. Take a q-tip and twist it down the handle just to make sure everything is clear. Then thread the handle on and off of the top cap a few times. It should become smoother. It will also become smoother over time as the process of (dis)assembly does a similar job of polishing the threads.

In short, without knowing exactly what your experience is like, it sounds normal.

A couple things here. First, and most importantly, titanium threads are always a bit grittier feeling and less smooth compared to stainless. This is due to the grain structure of titanium. Polishing can help reduce this as can lube, but it's just a part of the material.

There are some basic steps you can take to possibly improve it or at least to check for obvious issues. Take a q-tip and twist it down the handle just to make sure everything is clear. Then thread the handle on and off of the top cap a few times. It should become smoother. It will also become smoother over time as the process of (dis)assembly does a similar job of polishing the threads.

In short, without knowing exactly what your experience is like, it sounds normal.

Thanks for the Reply Shane!
Grittier maybe is the perfect word for what I feel. It is grittier when opening and closing and when it is almost closed it gets a littles janky (don't know it that is the word) but it closes ok.
The shaving is amazing as I was expecting. Just the threading is a bit weird.
It most certainly will smooth out with time.
This grittier thing is what I needed to know.
The stainless is just like butter.

Someone please help me out here, because I am getting all kinds of conflicting reviews on Youtube an IG: to which razor is the Blackbird Titanium comparable (blade feel & everyday usage possibility) of these choices below:

- Mühle R41
- Rockwell 6s
- Gamechanger (68/84)
- Timeless Ti (68/95)
- Karve SS
- Above the Tie Classic (M/R/H)
- Mühle Rocca
- Edwin Jagger 3one6

Greatly appreciated!

Someone please help me out here, because I am getting all kinds of conflicting reviews on Youtube an IG: to which razor is the Blackbird Titanium comparable (blade feel & everyday usage possibility) of these choices below:

- Mühle R41
- Rockwell 6s
- Gamechanger (68/84)
- Timeless Ti (68/95)
- Karve SS
- Mühle Rocca
- Edwin Jagger 3one6

Greatly appreciated!

Someone might be able to muster up some kind of answer, but I don't think any on this list are actually similar to the feel and performance of the Blackbird Ti. That's not to say that the Blackbird Ti is better than these - it's just different. It doesn't help that the list is mostly stainless steel and even the Timeless Ti isn't at all similar to the blade geometry of the Blackbird. My half-assed answer would be the Ti .95, but it's really not particularly analogous.

- Mühle R41
- Rockwell 6s
- Gamechanger (68/84)
- Timeless Ti (68/95)
- Karve SS
- Mühle Rocca
- Edwin Jagger 3one6

Greatly appreciated!
I hope I can lend a little insight. I’ve only had my Ti Blackbird for about 2 weeks (maybe less!) and it’s already my favorite razor and my daily driver (most days). I haven’t owned all the razors you’ve mentioned but here’s my experience. The Ti Blackbird has more blade feel and more efficient than the .84 Game Changer SB. It has less blade feel and nearly equal efficiency to the Game Changer .84 Jaws. It has less blade feel and more efficiency than the Muhle Rocca. It has more blade feel and slightly more efficiency than the Ti Timeless .95 OC (my second favorite razor). It has less blade feel and slightly less efficiency than the Rex Ambassador at settings 5-6. But I would also not that, despite the blade feel, it’s uncannily smooth! Astonishingly, the blade never feels threatening or harsh. Ever. Not even during my shave tonight with a first use Feather blade. Hope that helps!

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much! It certainly peaked my interest in the razor, seems like one of those: you have to try to know it kind of items/things. If the brush is any indication they know what they are doing over at Blackland.

I'll have to think this over and crunch the numbers a bit, maybe a nice X-Mas present for myself :badger:

Thank you very much! It certainly peaked my interest in the razor, seems like one of those: you have to try to know it kind of items/things. If the brush is any indication they know what they are doing over at Blackland.

I'll have to think this over and crunch the numbers a bit, maybe a nice X-Mas present for myself :badger:
Happy to help! I’m always hesitant to recommend a razor but I highly recommend this one. How’s the brush? I might have to get one for my birthday!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Got it today. 1st shave in the evening.
Perfect balance between efficiency, aggressiveness, weight, smoothness. It's a great wee looker as well!

Steep angle, it worked like a charm. Zero feedback from the alum stone.

I know it's just the first shave, but I'm really impressed! :)

View attachment 1207785

View attachment 1207789

Oh my gosh, your pictures were nothing short of amazing. I am in total love of this razor. 😍 Here's the thing, if I didn't already invest into my Timeless TI95 razor, I would have gotten a Blackbird TI for sure. But, I can't justify two seriously expensive titanium razor purchases.

Its really awesome to hear how smooth of a shave, that folks are getting with their Backbird TI's though. At the end of the day, thats what you want, a razor that is both smooth, and efficient. I suppose, once you've secured one of these miracle razor's, your only choice then is to find out, what blade works best for you in them. ;)

How’s the brush? I might have to get one for my birthday!

Super ergonomic and a high quality build! Some claim the knot is too small but personally I'd disagree as I believe the sweetspot for brushes is between 22 & 24mm. Any bigger and the brush runs higher risk of getting that nasty hole in the middle. Again, just my opinion.
Only regret I have with the brush is that I didn't pick up one of the colored ones and opted with the (safe) black option. So eventually I will get the blue and red one, they appeal to the Star Wars fan in me :biggrin:

I have to say that the BB Ti has been the hardest razor to get accustomed to of all my razors. ATT Windsor, Karve CB, TWR, Timeless Ti .95 and my Wolfman WR2 1.25 were pretty much mastered within three or four shaves. It's taken me 10 shaves and changing from Perma-Sharp blades to Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades to get really comfortable shaves. If I had stuck with the Perma-Sharp blades, I was leaning towards sending the BB Ti back. Now with four additional shaves under my belt with the 7 O'Clock SP, keeping the Ti seems to be more likely. I have one more week with my trial period so I'll see how I feel next Sunday.

Super ergonomic and a high quality build! Some claim the knot is too small but personally I'd disagree as I believe the sweetspot for brushes is between 22 & 24mm. Any bigger and the brush runs higher risk of getting that nasty hole in the middle. Again, just my opinion.
Only regret I have with the brush is that I didn't pick up one of the colored ones and opted with the (safe) black option. So eventually I will get the blue and red one, they appeal to the Star Wars fan in me :biggrin:
May the force be with you!

Top Bottom