What's new

Better Shave with a Shorter Handle?

3 inch shows up frequently in my razors and works fine.
Even 3.25 and 3.50" would work fine.
I find anything more unnecessary

Doubt there's any data that shows shorter handles give better
shaves. A light touch works wonders with any razor and handle:
transforms the shave.

After trying lots of handles I quickly realized that 80-90mm is my favourite length. I also like handles with a decent knurling and not very thick or too thin.

The polished handles look really nice, but most of them lack good grip and I want my fingers to stick on the handle like they are glued so I won't have to constantly move my fingers up and down in order to hold the handle the way I want.

I find the simple designs like the Maggard MR1 handle to be near perfection for me and most modern handles just look like some bad artists nightmare with that super smooth polishing and odd forms and shapes.
I know some people refuse to use their razors with other than the original handle/ handles and using another handle means that they are shaving with a franken-razor.

I don't really care thought and I would use even the most expensive razor with my MR1 handle if the stock handle isn't very good. Finding the right handle for you is almost as important as finding the right razor head.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The shorter handle gives more maneuverability (try and shave steep in a concave area with a long handle :hand:).

In that case I wouldn't have thought so... but lighter handles do help maneuverability.

As you can't keep it as close to your face/neck as a short handle, you won't be able to go very steep.

Definitely not (see comments above).

If you like shallow angle shaving, go ahead (at your own risk).

WHERE I'M COMING FROM:
I'm a steep angle shaver (SASA Member) for irritation free shaves (as recommended by KCG), and an LHF (Lightweight Handle Fanboy) for maximum razor maneuverability.

Here's one of my fabulous GT Handles (made by my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp)):
View attachment 1489977 :001_wub:
GT Handles are 75mm long, 14.3mm diameter, and completely hollow. The one above weighs in at 15 grams.

Obviously the above is my two cents, YMMV. :wink2:
I'm with @Cal on this issue. My GTx handles are 75mm - 80mm, 14.3mm diameter and weigh in at 25 grams. Great match for my Vector, Ti Blackbird, various Techs and pretty much every razor I've tried.

The GTx handles improve the Nimble & Maneuverable attribute, improving the overall effectiveness of my razors.

Nice thread

I am a 100% SE user who prefers Ever Ready and GEM razors.

I think the razor and the blade determine to quality and closeness of the shave.

The handle affects the shaving process.

I prefer short handles.

Heavier head, light handle, the weight of the razor really does all of the work.
Trickier to control and maneuver.

Heavier head, mid to heavy handle better control and easier to maneuver.

IMO

I second all previous comments that the handle influences the shave. I generally tend to favour shorter handles. My special @lasta resin handles greatly improve every shave and equally important to me make my razors that much more beautiful.

That said, my crown handle sits firmly together with my Ti95 and is just about perfect.

Last edited:
I prefer 100mm handles. That being said I can deal with a little lower and a little higher. I let the bottom of the razor handle rest on the inside of the tip of the pinky finger. The rest of the fingers evenly spread out across the rest of the length of the handle with the thumb opposite to the middle finger.

I prefer shorter handles -- FatBoy over Slim, 84 over 109 on the Super Adjustable. Longer handles seem to always be in the way for some reason.

It's a good thing that there are lots of different razors with widely variable handles, eh? What suits you may make me crazy, and vice versa!

Shorter, skinnier, grippier. 60-80mm long, 8-10mm thick. Light and sensitive touch, hold it with my fingertips.

I rotate razors and mix-and-match a variety of handles.I enjoy variability and suspect it has improved my techniques and skills.

Rather than trying to find the "perfect" grip length for each and every combination of hardware, I let the hardware of the day dictate my grip length and style.

For me, it comes down to adaptation and fee.

I am a face shaver only. The shorter the handle the better the manoeuvrability for mine. 80mm is my sweet spot. Have some that are 90 like my Rocca which I do like and regularly use.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have an ATT Windsor with two handles, Atlas and Kronos. I use the shorter Atlas way more, especially with the mild plate. For some reason the Kronos works better with the medium plate.

Doesn't seem to make much difference to me. I have used Tuckaway handles and long Wolfman handles and I get good shaves regardless.

I prefer 100mm handles. That being said I can deal with a little lower and a little higher. I let the bottom of the razor handle rest on the inside of the tip of the pinky finger. The rest of the fingers evenly spread out across the rest of the length of the handle with the thumb opposite to the middle finger.
I take it back. The thumb opposite between the pointer and middle finger. I had to look mid shave.

A very individualized & subjective question. I've found that (given the option) I much prefer a 3.5-4" handle, keeping overall balance in mind.

With a good blade & well designed head, the longer handle allows me to really, "let the razor do the work".

I would really like to change out my Ambassador & Konsul handles, but can't justify the cost. As is, they are two of my favorites, but I suspect that extra .75" would be perfect.😎

Having said that, everyone's hands & shaving styles are different...

I started with longer handles, then on a whim, I decided to pick up a Vintage Thick Bar handle from Italian Barber when I was ordering a Barber Pole. Turns out that the thick bar is where it's at for me. I used it once and haven't deviated much. I've tried the barber pole, but it just doesn't seem as "right" as the thick bar. I've even thought about taking my Super Knurl up to my buddies shop and have him turn it to a shorter length to match the thick bar.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
It's all about personal preference.
For me, the length of the handle does not really affect the shaving effect, but it affects finger habits/holding height/weight... and even visual preference.
Many friends with big hands have also expressed that the short handle makes them not know where to put their little fingers.
The material has a more direct impact on the weight, and the operating angle comes from your own hands.

Personally, handles of different lengths give me a variety of shaving pleasure. It's more of a sensory thing.

There are some extremely short razors out there, and I admit they're fun to use occasionally, but hardly to say "better".
274925061_4987900081248855_4334790675698609111_n.jpg
368369821_327821796526464_1246399205110148770_n.jpg

225444209_4283006881738182_8878028765121681138_n.jpg

Top Bottom