What's new

Better Shave with a Shorter Handle?

I've had my stainless steel Blackbird for about a month or so, and I had previously posted some comparison shaves with it and a brass Karve Christopher Bradley (safety bar G plate) and Blackland Dart. Those were with the original, short handle, and the Blackbird and Karve yielded very similar results. I found that handle a bit shorter than I liked with my big (and perhaps clumsy) hands, particularly for the ATG upward pass. So I fitted it out with a RazoRock Titanium Halo handle. That combination felt great in my hand, but I began to notice that on days that I used the Blackbird, my face was not as smooth post shave, and by evening was much rougher, than on days I used the Karve. So today, I put the original handle back on my Blackbird, and sure enough the results are much better. The question I am left with is - why?

Is it the difference in weight between the two handles? The stainless handle is about 4 grams heavier, so that doesn't seem like all that much. Does a longer handle cause an involuntary change in the angle at which I hold the razor to my face? I really dislike experimenting with different shaving angles, as in the past this has resulted in some significant damage to my face, but maybe I need to consider this. I'm guessing that a longer handle would encourage a steeper angle; does that sound right? So with the Halo handle I ought to try to lift the handle a bit away from my face?

I longer handle makes it easier for me to get a better grip in the different directions. When going WTG I choke up on it. Against the grain is a supported grip. It's all in how you handle the handle. LOL. I find a short handle not as comfortable in my shaving as I can't hold it as I want in all the different directions.

Maybe you are finding this out just now and still learning. Learning is always good.

So today, I put the original handle back on my Blackbird, and sure enough the results are much better. The question I am left with is - why?
The shorter handle gives more maneuverability (try and shave steep in a concave area with a long handle :hand:).
Is it the difference in weight between the two handles?
In that case I wouldn't have thought so... but lighter handles do help maneuverability.
Does a longer handle cause an involuntary change in the angle at which I hold the razor to my face?
As you can't keep it as close to your face/neck as a short handle, you won't be able to go very steep.
I'm guessing that a longer handle would encourage a steeper angle; does that sound right?
Definitely not (see comments above).
So with the Halo handle I ought to try to lift the handle a bit away from my face?
If you like shallow angle shaving, go ahead (at your own risk).

WHERE I'M COMING FROM:
I'm a steep angle shaver (SASA Member) for irritation free shaves (as recommended by KCG), and an LHF (Lightweight Handle Fanboy) for maximum razor maneuverability.

Here's one of my fabulous GT Handles (made by my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp)):
1947-FBT-Depart_2022-04-17.jpg
:001_wub:
GT Handles are 75mm long, 14.3mm diameter, and completely hollow. The one above weighs in at 15 grams.

Obviously the above is my two cents, YMMV. :wink2:

lasta

Blade Biter
The shorter handle gives more maneuverability (try and shave steep in a concave area with a long handle :hand:).

In that case I wouldn't have thought so... but lighter handles do help maneuverability.

As you can't keep it as close to your face/neck as a short handle, you won't be able to go very steep.

Definitely not (see comments above).

If you like shallow angle shaving, go ahead (at your own risk).

WHERE I'M COMING FROM:
I'm a steep angle shaver (SASA Member) for irritation free shaves (as recommended by KCG), and an LHF (Lightweight Handle Fanboy) for maximum razor maneuverability.

Here's one of my fabulous GT Handles (made by my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp)):
View attachment 1489977 :001_wub:
GT Handles are 75mm long, 14.3mm diameter, and completely hollow. The one above weighs in at 15 grams.

Obviously the above is my two cents, YMMV. :wink2:
Does your friend do business with non SASA/LHF club members?

I don’t really mind whether a handle is long or short - it depends on the razor. My feeling is that balance is more important than weight or handle length. I have better control over the shave, and handle the razor more effectively, if the balance is right. At least that’s how it seems to me. So with a heavy razor head I want to use a heavier handle. I also would rather err toward handle-heavy rather than head-heavy balance, if the balance isn’t exact. Overall razor weight can affect the shave efficiency for me too, and if a razor is too light or suffers from unwanted vibrations (like some lightweight titanium razors do for me) then changing to a heavier handle helps.

I just go by feel and whether the balance point of the razor seems right for where I am holding it. You know when a razor just feels natural and right in your hand, and when you feel totally in control of the razor.

So maybe it isn‘t a weight issue with the Blackbird handles, but a different balance and feel, which causes you to control the razor more or less effectively.

It seems as if in my case it was just an adjustment issue. After a half dozen or so more shaves with the long Halo titanium handle on my Blackbird, I seem to have locked in the correct angle. @Cal is probably correct that I needed to adjust to a steeper angle, but I (stubbornly?) refuse to consciously alter the shave angle. I've hurt myself a couple of times trying to do that, so I just go by feel. I did pick up a shorter stainless steel Halo handle, intending to use it on my Blackbird, but now I'm enjoying the shaves with the longer, titanium handle, so the shorter one is on my Lupo .95 OC.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Timeless Ti Crown handle is 90mm (my every day handle for my Claymore Evolution) and the handle on my British Flat Bottom Tech is 72.5mm and just under 12mm in diameter (rough measurement with a dial caliper... so I might be off a bit).

Anyway, I thought the short handle would be an issue for me. It felt odd when I picked it up but when shaving with it, it became natural after a couple strokes. I will try the Crown on the FBT to see which I like, but my guess is... the shorter handle will be just fine. It was designed that way. It's the "fat handle" edition but 12mm is still pretty thin. <Eg>

I know @never-stop-learning / David uses a shorter handle on his Vector and likes it. At this point, I don't really have a preference for handle length. The lighter weight of the Titanium handle on my Claymore Evo made a huge difference for me. YMMV, of course. I'm still learning what my preferences are. At this point, if I asked @Rosseforp / Doug to consider making me a new handle, I'd have no idea what to request. I love his handles.... maybe one day when I know what I'm doing, I'll make that request. ;)

Handle size is super subjective!
And weight of the handle and where you hold it plays a role as well.
I tend to hold the razor closer to the head as it makes me feel that I have more control. 3 fingertips holding and the rear of the handle rests in my palm. That means that I tend to favor smaller size handles. 3.5" being ideal!
So the bottom line is that yes the handles length, weight and diameter plays a role in the shave result.

lasta

Blade Biter
I don't think handle length makes much difference in the actual shaving experience. Aesthetically shorter handles look better.

I'd like to see more modern craftsmen make 11-12mmX75-80mm handles. Alas, everyone things long and fat is the norm...

40s Tech handles were perfect.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Timeless Ti Crown handle is 90mm (my every day handle for my Claymore Evolution) and the handle on my British Flat Bottom Tech is 72.5mm and just under 12mm in diameter (rough measurement with a dial caliper... so I might be off a bit).

Anyway, I thought the short handle would be an issue for me. It felt odd when I picked it up but when shaving with it, it became natural after a couple strokes. I will try the Crown on the FBT to see which I like, but my guess is... the shorter handle will be just fine. It was designed that way. It's the "fat handle" edition but 12mm is still pretty thin. <Eg>

I know @never-stop-learning / David uses a shorter handle on his Vector and likes it. At this point, I don't really have a preference for handle length. The lighter weight of the Titanium handle on my Claymore Evo made a huge difference for me. YMMV, of course. I'm still learning what my preferences are. At this point, if I asked @Rosseforp / Doug to consider making me a new handle, I'd have no idea what to request. I love his handles.... maybe one day when I know what I'm doing, I'll make that request. ;)
Correction: The handle on my British Flat Bottom Tech is actually 76.5mm:

Resized_ FBT_Fat_Thin Handle Tech_01.jpg

I like longer handles. The bottom rests in the palm of the hand and makes it more comfortable to hold and twist to change sides.

Small handles cramps my fingers.

What I REALLY don’t like is heavy razors. Especially when going ATG. Even worse if it’s short handled.

Around 60g, 8 to 10cm, my sweet spot (EJ89 specs).

Seriously considering the longer progress 510. I love the 500, but could enjoy it a little longer.

I prefer 3.25-3.5” handles. Any less and I can’t get a good grip, any more and I can’t maneuver the razor as well as I’d like.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to listen and then just use what is good for my shave & a few of the old timers kind of make sense(Cal, Jim , Doug.....) and so I look at their gear.
My my conclusion especially for aggressive DE razors a short handle when steep angle shaving(riding the bar) is better for quicker nimbler movements, less weight and less leverage giving a much better shave. I have used some very aggressive DE razors and you can kind of regulate the blade feel almost like a adjustable but in live action is a simple way of explaining my thought and results are stellar with not much irritation or weepers. Contours on chin and nick are easy to work also with a shorter handle IMO.
I still use shallow angle shaving (riding the cap)on my (SE) single edge razors because they mimic a short length version straight razor and shallow angle shaving is still king with these razors because of design is incorporated to work that way for best results. A large # of vintage razors had short handles also and they did extensive testing back in those days when labour was cheap to find that sweet spot for razor handle lengths IMO(nothing is written in stone on handle lengths in razor world it seems).
Star brand (Kampfe brothers of Brooklyn NY) Mfg the earliest safety razor in the world on a mass scale in 1880's took a short straight razor blade(wedge blade) and made a safety razor with this concept and made 100's of thousands of hoe style razors.

Star bar #4 Mfg 1919 lather catcher came with a wedge blade in razor case + handle is short in length with this razor also for less leverage.
Star bar 1.4.jpg

Have some great shaves!

My go to razor has a 3" handle, that is perfect for me. I like to grip the handle fairly close to the end, which allows the razor to follow the contours of my face without a lot of wrist motion that I've found was needed when gripping near the head.
But I'm not sure that there is a right or wrong way to grip a razor. I say whatever your used to, and feel comfortable with is fine, as long as the proper blade angle is maintained. :wink:

I like short handles. I have an iKon travel handle on my General razor that is only 2.5 inches long and 3/8 diam. I also have an Ever-Ready 1914 that has a handle also 2.5 inches x 3/8. Love them.

Ever-Ready_1914.JPG
Glycerin_BB.JPG

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just got back from a 2 hour walk from our hotel... along the beach near here (Kuta Beach, Bali).. and I had typed out a long response to this thread... then I scrolled up and realized... I had typed the exact same thing previously....

I'm a bit tired. <eg>

Top Bottom