What's new

Best Razors For Head Shaving

Yes!
As my head shaving adventure continues I realise that it’s not just about what can do the job most quickly or easily.
Like much of this hobby for me one of the most important things is to find out what is most fun!

It’s very very easy to get a good quick headshave from the Gillette Guard which is a fine razor by the way.

But I’m having a lot more fun and getting a lot more satisfaction from head shaving with class SE razors, straights and shavettes.
It’s kicking my technique up to a whole new level again.
And all my razors blades and brushes that I love so much for face shaving are now being rediscovered in a fresh exciting way for the more demanding task of head shaving!

Yeah, I'm due to scrape the grape today and am going to attempt it with my Razorock mamba and a Nacet. I'm down to 2 handles at the moment and my other is way to aggressive for a first attempt at this! Once I get my straights honed and become comfortable shaving my face with one then I'll make an attempt with it.

I almost feel like I'm cheating when I use a cart to do it, LOL!

I've gotten the best results from an Omnishaver..... prior to that from a Feather F3, and before that from electrics.... I've tried a few DEs on my head, but they (my technique) leaves something to be desired.....

Yeah, I'm due to scrape the grape today and am going to attempt it with my Razorock mamba and a Nacet. I'm down to 2 handles at the moment and my other is way to aggressive for a first attempt at this! Once I get my straights honed and become comfortable shaving my face with one then I'll make an attempt with it.

I almost feel like I'm cheating when I use a cart to do it, LOL!
Cool! Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Cool! Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

What a disaster it was...the RR Mamba is not designed for scraping the dome. I need something a little more aggressive. A Rockwell 6C and Karve with a C & D plate are now on the list of razors to buy. I don't trust my Vikings Blade "The Godfather" to do the job.

What a disaster it was...the RR Mamba is not designed for scraping the dome. I need something a little more aggressive. A Rockwell 6C and Karve with a C & D plate are now on the list of razors to buy. I don't trust my Vikings Blade "The Godfather" to do the job.
Oh! What was the problem with the Mamba? Did it simply not remove enough hair?

Sorry to hear that.

You should try the MMTOC SE, it was my first SE razor and great for head shaves.

As for DE's try a New or Old type Gillette.

Sorry to hear that.

You should try the MMTOC SE, it was my first SE razor and great for head shaves.

Thanks for recommending the MMOC for headshaving.
I tried it tonight and it’s absolutely perfect!
4A7681BA-41CB-475A-97C1-7E42F7578D6C.jpeg

This will probably be unpopular on this forum. But, the best thing I ever used for shaving my head, face and neck was the Gillette Fusion. It gave the longest life of any other cartridge, regardless of blade count. I'd shave everything on a Sunday night, since I'd not shave on some Fridays and never on Saturday with an old blade. Then, I'd do a quick second shave as a touch up, with a new cartridge. This would then last for the week of nearly daily shaving of all three.

I attempted two blades, as well as a DE safety razor. But, found that I'd do more damage than worth, and I'd bleed a lot due to the moles as well as just regular nicks in general if I used anything other than a Fuson.

I've been head shaving for a few years now. I use whatever razor I'm using to shave my face. Some work better than others. For me, the Gem razors are all pretty good. Gillette adjustables are very good as are the NEWs and the double open combs. I haven't used a razor specifically designed for the head yet.

Oh! What was the problem with the Mamba? Did it simply not remove enough hair?

Yeah, it had a brand new Nacet in it and clogged up really quick and it didn’t take long for that to happen. Plus it was leaving patches which I think was due to it being clogged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that.

I will have to look into that SE and I have a Super Speed and British made Gillette on the way. I’m watching a few red tips and fat boys on the bay right now.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

IMO, carts are the best for the dome because they pivot. If I were a head shaver, Id use the Schick Xtreme 3 or Bic Flex 3 because the head pivots and the blades flex.

IMO, carts are the best for the dome because they pivot. If I were a head shaver, Id use the Schick Xtreme 3 or Bic Flex 3 because the head pivots and the blades flex.

I won't disagree with you...I've used a cart since 2003 to get the job done. I can get a BBS head scrape in about 3 minutes with a Fusion blade, 5 minutes if I follow it up with shampoo.

I just got an Omnishaver. It works well, damn well. No nicks even on my first shave with its new blades. While I've used a fresh lather made with a shaving brush, I find that hair conditioner? works best. It's very slick and frankly really cheap, even in giant bottles.

My DE experiments in head shaving have been ... poor, yeah that's it, poor. My technique especially in the back is not good enough for a DE razor.

Still, I do recommend the Omnishaver. You can get it on Indiego (and yes the product really is shipping.)

Reading posts here has caused me to want to try my Schick Injector on my head just because I have it.

I have to admit that the Gillette Guard does an incredible job for head shaving but is not so good for the face and neck.
Conversely my straights and shavettes are wonderful for the face but a real pain for head shaving.

So I’m settling in to a system of straights for the face and Gillette Guard for the head.

But if I’m using a safety razor then I’ll shave both head and face with it.
I’ve just acquired a Razorine and it’s worth mentioning that it’s excellent for head shaving too.
070EF887-C328-4C4F-B3EF-B3BA6DD86053.jpeg

I just got an Omnishaver. It works well, damn well. No nicks even on my first shave with its new blades. While I've used a fresh lather made with a shaving brush, I find that hair conditioner? works best. It's very slick and frankly really cheap, even in giant bottles.

My DE experiments in head shaving have been ... poor, yeah that's it, poor. My technique especially in the back is not good enough for a DE razor.

Still, I do recommend the Omnishaver. You can get it on Indiego (and yes the product really is shipping.)

Reading posts here has caused me to want to try my Schick Injector on my head just because I have it.

Hm, never considered using conditioner. I’ve always lathered up, did an ATG pass and then followed up with shampoo for a cleanup pass. Conditioner makes more sense than shampoo and probably doesn’t burn anywhere near as bad if it gets in your eyes.

I've pretty much shelved my DEs in favor of Schick injectors for my face and until recently had still been using a Schick disposable for my head. It was always safe and fast. Lately, I've gone to an injector for my head and can't see myself going back to a disposable. I tried Type L, J, I, G, a Golden 500, and an E. So far, the G and E have provided the best results.

Likewise, I use the same razors. The head hair is more coarse so much more of a challenge but as my technique has improved my mild razors do as well as any others. Gem MMOC would be my favorite as it just does everything right , smooth, efficient, balanced..
Chances are if it's comfortable on your face, you'll like it on the scalp as well.

So the Supply with the 3dot plate did an amazingly easy and efficient head shave this morning.
A true winner!
4B903805-2E04-4738-97AE-594D0FA33A0E.jpeg

Top Bottom