What's new

Best Razors For Head Shaving

After shaving my head as part of the works Halloween event I’m now a convert and am shaving my head daily.
It’s taken shaving to a new dimension as I’m exploring the suitability of different razors for the task.

I had a good experience with the Gillette Guard although it’s not very pleasant on the face.
Now I’m getting excellent results with the Supply Provision Injector and Claymore v2 AC razor as well as the Phoenix Starling GEM razor and Muhle R41 DE which pretty much covers all the blade formats.

Next stop is head shaving with straights and shavettes.

So any good tips for head shaving guys?
And what are your favourite razors for the task?

A different path than straights but if I have a weeks growth I will start with the Karve, Blackbird, Charcoal or, if the prep is great, a Mach 3 or Hydro.

I always finish/polish off to a BBS with the Headblade Moto or the new Omnishaver.

DE’s are fantastic for the face but after years head shaving now they just do not get to the BBS I desire on the head that the modern head shavers do.

A different path than straights but if I have a weeks growth I will start with the Karve, Blackbird, Charcoal or, if the prep is great, a Mach 3 or Hydro.

I always finish/polish off to a BBS with the Headblade Moto or the new Omnishaver.

DE’s are fantastic for the face but after years head shaving now they just do not get to the BBS I desire on the head that the modern head shavers do.

I agree. I’ve come to like the Dorco Pace 4. I buy them in bulk straight from Dorco. BBS daily for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use several types of DE and SE razors for head shaving.
Gillette Old and New types, Superspeeds, techs etc.
GEM MMTOC, Damaskeene, Jr., EverReady.

All are great for heat shaving.

Mach 3 was always my go to. My EJ DE89 works great also. Not sure if ill ever have the will to try a straight on my head. A little to much to not see for my liking.

I head shave with a Merkur 15c (all their open combs are the same though - just different handles). It is extremely comfortable razor and I can shave without putting much thought to it. It is also impossible to clog. I do one pass with it and then one pass with a Mach 3. I suppose you could do multiple passes with it and skip the cartridge. But it would take longer and I lack patience. A single cartridge lasts me over a month using this method (still saving me money). Solely using a cartridge results in a lot of tugging ang clogging. Mowing it down first with the DE is much more efficient and comfortable.

Last edited:
Any of the vintage Gillettes are great head shavers, though if you're enjoying the R41 in that capacity they may be too mild for you.

The Razorock SLOC is mild yet efficient for head shaves and also great for buffing difficult spots like the crown.

As far as using straights on the head, biggest bit of advice I can give is using the razor ambidextrously. If you only use the razor with the dominant hand you're going to have a lot of strange angles and long reaches, neither of which is desirable with a straight.

That really depends on the individual. Hair on the crown of my head is way more coarse than my beard, thus razors which breeze through my beard get tuggy going ATG on my head.
Chances are if it's comfortable on your face, you'll like it on the scalp as well.

I’ve shaved the noggin a few times with my straights. They can get the job done, but it’s super slow going, and not really worth the time.

I used my VDH TTO for a while, and it too got the job done. However I’ve settled on my DE89 as a nice happy medium, it’s quick, slick, and comfortable for making the melon shine.

I have been using Headblade Moto with a Sensor or Dorco Pace 4 cart. My omnishaver came in this week and have used that twice this week and it works really well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The best head shavers I’ve found are:

DE:
Timeless 0.95
Rocnel DE-P
ATT R1
Ikon B1 Slant
Rockwell 6S
Merkur 37c Slant

SE:
Bullet-Tip
Clog Pruf
Injectomatic

Cart:
Feather MR3 Neo
Feather F3
Wilkinson Sword / Schick Hydro 5

I’ve never found a vintage Gillette that worked well as a head shaver (despite trying most of the UK and US models Gillette made).

I haven’t tried a Karve or CG razor as yet and have high hopes that these will be good head shavers also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shave my head every second day with a Parker TracII Pivoting razor. I guess you would call it an Atra. It is new and is a heavy metal handle with a good grip. I think I paid $25 from Amazon. I use the Personna twin pivot TracII/Atra blades that I purchased from amazon. A 100 pack. They cost me $35 tax and shipping incl. I get 4-5 head shaves per cartridges. I could get more but at .35cents each why not change it. I've tried the new Gillette flex ball 5 blade and it was the best head shaver by far, but the price per cart is why I don't use it. I like the pivot because it is easier to shave the back of my head without looking. I curves nicely around that bump in your skull at the back of your head. What ever you use I would suggest picking a tool that pivots.

Some really good input here!
Thanks guys.

I did my first full head shave with an open razor tonight using the Kai Captain with a Feather Pro Super blade:

65C54F68-72DA-405D-8E38-AC390CF8F943.jpeg

I did a lot of skin stretching on the back of my head and quickly learned that most of this is shaving by feel rather than by sight.

Once I’d realised that then it quickly became a very pleasant shave indeed and a lot easier than I thought with a very satisfying result.

Head shaving with straights and shavettes is taking me to a whole new level of technique and mindfulness now.
Shaving feels like an adventure again.
And this time it’s all about technique!

Thanks for starting this thread! I've been thinking about this for a while. I've shaved my since 2005 and have wondered what the best DE would be for this task. For as long as I can remember I used a Fusion cartridge and can accomplish the task in just a couple of minutes. Oddly enough I always used a brush and AoS Sandalwood cream, before I even got into wet shaving.

Thanks for starting this thread! I've been thinking about this for a while. I've shaved my since 2005 and have wondered what the best DE would be for this task. For as long as I can remember I used a Fusion cartridge and can accomplish the task in just a couple of minutes. Oddly enough I always used a brush and AoS Sandalwood cream, before I even got into wet shaving.
Yes!
As my head shaving adventure continues I realise that it’s not just about what can do the job most quickly or easily.
Like much of this hobby for me one of the most important things is to find out what is most fun!

It’s very very easy to get a good quick headshave from the Gillette Guard which is a fine razor by the way.

But I’m having a lot more fun and getting a lot more satisfaction from head shaving with class SE razors, straights and shavettes.
It’s kicking my technique up to a whole new level again.
And all my razors blades and brushes that I love so much for face shaving are now being rediscovered in a fresh exciting way for the more demanding task of head shaving!

Last edited:
Top Bottom