What's new

Best Face Moisturizer? | Cremo Discontinued Mine | Replacement Suggestions?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nothing to offer at this stage, Jim, other to say I'm embarking on my own voyage of exploration over the next few months.

IMG_20201021_111413.jpg

Aside from a couple of beard products amongst them, I'll be trying the following:

Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser
Nivea Men Creme
Nivea Men Sensitive Skin & Stubble Lotion
Bulldog Original Moisturiser
Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser
ARKO Nem Revitalising Care Cream (2 flavours, Yoghurt & Blackberry, and Blue Fig & Grapefruit)
I'll also be using Bluebeard's Revenge balm as the control / reference point.

How long would you suggest sticking with any one, to determine long term suitability?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Nothing to offer at this stage, Jim, other to say I'm embarking on my own voyage of exploration over the next few months.

View attachment 1171575

Aside from a couple of beard products amongst them, I'll be trying the following:

Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser
Nivea Men Creme
Nivea Men Sensitive Skin & Stubble Lotion
Bulldog Original Moisturiser
Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser
ARKO Nem Revitalising Care Cream (2 flavours, Yoghurt & Blackberry, and Blue Fig & Grapefruit)
I'll also be using Bluebeard's Revenge balm as the control / reference point.

How long would you suggest sticking with any one, to determine long term suitability?

Wow, Al! I'll be interested in what you find.

One day- a couple..if a cream is much better than the last you will for sure know fairly quickly ..unless its pretty close to the last

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
One day- a couple..if a cream is much better than the last you will for sure know fairly quickly ..unless its pretty close to the last

Hmmm... not really. I think cumulative effect will take much longer to show whether or not it's suitable for a skin type.

For example, I started looking at moisturisers, as using one (particular) soap consecutively was leaving my skin dry, and eventually sore. Long story short, it was actually clogging my skin, and I didn't suss that out until using moisturisers broke it up and flushed it out, but (back on track) it was only using it continually for a period of time, that caused/allowed that side effect to present itself.

So personally, I don't think a day or two is anywhere near long enough to know whether a product is suitable for use for a prolonged period. A week? Two weeks? I don't know, but certainly more than a day or two.

I use Aesop's Mandarin moisturizer. Pricey but worth it. I previously use Kiehl's Facial Fuel and I looked the cooling effect it had and it worked okay but not as well as the Aesop. I have also used the Bulldog moisturizer but I developed a reaction to it and haven't used it since.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use Aesop's Mandarin moisturizer. Pricey but worth it. I previously use Kiehl's Facial Fuel and I looked the cooling effect it had and it worked okay but not as well as the Aesop. I have also used the Bulldog moisturizer but I developed a reaction to it and haven't used it since.

1603546382508.png

Is this ⬆ the one you're talking about?

You're not kidding. They're very proud of their products.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have by no means settled on a replacement for my Cremo Face Moisturizer. I'm not out of CFM yet either. However, I'm going to try something new for a while. I picked this product because someone gave me a bottle of it which means I already own it. Also, the ingredient list looks good, the guy who gave it to me swears by it, and it's available for purchase. The downside is it's a lot more expensive than what I would like to spend on a face moisturizer.

12-13-20.BrickellFaceMoisturizer.640.Front..JPG

Brickell.Back.Label.Whole.640.12-13-20.JPG

Brickell.Ingredietients.12-13-20.640.JPG

Comments on this and other products are much appreciated. This matter is not settled (for me at least).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
12-13-20.BrickellFaceMoisturizer.640.Front..JPG

So far, Brickell Face Moisturizer is working great for me. I might like it even better than my old favorite, the no longer manufactured Cremo Face Moisturizer.

I've discovered I can get by just fine with not very much product per use. Thus the cost per shave becomes a lot lower and the purchase price seems more reasonable to me.

This is a very good face moisturizer with no downsides for me.​

Here's another review.

I use hyaluronic acid after every shave (applied to my damp skin). Brickell's pairs well with it and with my various splashes.​
12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Happy New Year,

Jim

Last edited:
Alba Botanica Aloe/Green tea moisturizer. Paraben free, hypoallergenic & has been my go to for many years. Only issue is it comes in a jar so I recommend using a q-tip to dispense out. A dime/nickel size amount on face/neck area & 3 oz jar should last you easily 2-3 months if you use daily. A bargain for $20 & under!

Occasionally try some others but always go back to this one.

I’ve been using Hyaluronic Acid and First Aid Moisturizer for several monthe and my dry skin is a thing of the past. Some mornings I use CeraVe AM instead because of the sunscreen protection.

9F120373-01DA-477D-B559-8EF186E9E535.png

BFEE32DC-38EC-463A-B0F9-5C01A9D95891.jpeg

Nivea Creme for Men is good stuff. I use it sometimes if I have a rougher than usual shave, and it works wonders this winter when I get chapped hands.

Honestly, nothing comes close to simply adding some raw shea butter to my aftershave balm. I typically do this at night on cooler nights as it can be heavy if used before your day. I haven't gone the length some guys have with facial moisturizers, but I'm very satisfied with this (very frugal) approach. Shea butter can be tricky, especially if it's cold, make sure to emulsify it in your hands well prior to applying. Mix in your aftershave balm or even splash of choice to stretch it, apply to head, face, neck, hands.

I credit shea butter for being 36 and always have folks guess my age is mid 20s. Diet plays a huge part, too.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Honestly, nothing comes close to simply adding some raw shea butter to my aftershave balm. I typically do this at night on cooler nights as it can be heavy if used before your day. I haven't gone the length some guys have with facial moisturizers, but I'm very satisfied with this (very frugal) approach. Shea butter can be tricky, especially if it's cold, make sure to emulsify it in your hands well prior to applying. Mix in your aftershave balm or even splash of choice to stretch it, apply to head, face, neck, hands.

I credit shea butter for being 36 and always have folks guess my age is mid 20s. Diet plays a huge part, too.

SheaButter+Equate.480JPG.JPG

I like shea butter, too, but can't say it fits the same niche for me as Brickell Face Moisturizer.

When my skin is dry or burned feeling or trending towards the dreaded chapped face of my youth, I grab Equate (which is a knock off of the Noxzema of that era and a great product) which usually does the trick applied occasionally at bedtime.

Should that fail me (which is rare) or should I have reason to believe I've overdone something (passes, pressure, frequency of shaves) or used the wrong blade (which I haven't done in a very good little while), I'll grab the shea butter.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I just spotted some new Cremo face products at my local CVS, ...then did some Googling/Amazon searching after I got home. They have 4 new moisturizers out now. 2 are higher-end squeeze tubes called "Defender Series" with Retinol: in face cream and eye cream. And there's a face lotion that comes in pump bottles in both a.m. and p.m. versions. Check cremocompany.com and click the "face" tab in the menu

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just spotted some new Cremo face products at my local CVS, ...then did some Googling/Amazon searching after I got home. They have 4 new moisturizers out now. 2 are higher-end squeeze tubes called "Defender Series" with Retinol: in face cream and eye cream. And there's a face lotion that comes in pump bottles in both a.m. and p.m. versions. Check cremocompany.com and click the "face" tab in the menu

Thanks.

I've looked at those. The old Cremo had much more appealing ingredients (to me). I'm hugely pleased though with Brickell's. I like it better than the old Cremo (and that's saying something).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Scrolling through old threads trying to find a good solution for dry skin. Looks like the Brickell might be just the ticket, thanks for that.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Scrolling through old threads trying to find a good solution for dry skin. Looks like the Brickell might be just the ticket, thanks for that.

12-20.HyaluronicAcid.BrickellFaceMoisturzer.AABayRum.640.JPG

Put a layer of hyaluronic acid on damp (not wet) skin, let it dry just a bit, follow it by Brickell, let it dry a bit, and apply your favorite splash.

It's solved a large problem for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom