What's new

Best DE razor for a beginner?

Hi all,

The information in this forum is overwhelming for someone completely new to DE razors :wink2:

So ... before completely losing my way here; is there consensus about the best DE razors for beginners?

My background is that I have shaved with the Gillette GII and Contour twin blades razors for the last 30 years, and with nothing else. I think I have a regular skin, and I can shave irritation free with the Gillette twin blade cartridges. Why I still want to test a DE razor? Because I want to try something new, and because I love the cool look of those "real" razors.

I don't want to spend a lot of money (initially), and I would be happy with a used razor (e.g. from the For Sale section of this board). However, if I want something that is not more aggressive than e.g. a Gillette GII shave, which brands and models should I focus on?

Yes, I understand that the blades make as much of a difference as the razor itself, but one has to start somewhere :wink2:

Thanks from a newbie!

I personally began with a Merkur HD, but looking back I wish I had taken the time to research and start off with a Gillette Fatboy or Slim Adjustable - these are essentially multiple razors in one, with a preference to the "less aggressive" end of the scale. My Slim is my personal favorite at the moment and would recommend it to anyone who wants to start DE shaving.

I started with a Merkur 33C and it was the perfect beginner DE. The 34C is good too if you want something a little more heavy-duty.

Edwin Jagger DE89. Its all you'll ever need. Derby blades to start, Feather when you get your technique down.

I'll take a look at the DE89 ... I read good things about Astra blades, but I am going to try several brands anyway.

+1 more for the EJ DE 89. I would also recommend either the lined or barley handles, the smooth one may be a bit slippery for a new shaver. Get a good sample pack of blades. Don't write off a blade if it's not good for you the first time you try it, just set those aside for a few weeks. Your technique will evolve by leaps and bounds in the first few weeks and months.

Scott

Lord L6. Great razor for $10 shipped. I think it is member ntguy in the vendor forum who has them.

I started with a Merkur 180 and EJ89 but wish I would have found the Gillette Super Speed earlier. I think it is much forgiving for the beginner (like me).

There we go again :wink2:

EJ ED89
Merkur 180
Lord L6
Gillette Super Speed
Merkur 33c

I guess I'll go with a Merkur, Mühle of EJ ... all of these are probably easy to sell again, if I don't like them.

Lord L6. Great razor for $10 shipped. I think it is member ntguy in the vendor forum who has them.

That must be shipping within the USA only, I think?

Last edited:
"Consensus"? Surely you jest. You may not get clear agreement or consensus but the jury has certainly spoken on some standard outstanding choices. I am a 100% vintage guy so my choice would be any Gillette Super Speed. If buying new I would go with the EJ89 or Merkur 180 without reservation.

I just understood that I can buy a virtually new Mühle R89, from a fellow Dutch shaver, for EUR 20 shipped. That sounds like a good deal to me, and worth trying out!

The Mühle R89 is almost identical to the EJ ED89, right?

Last edited:
imo there is a lot to be said for starting with an adjustable, adjusted down to its mildest setting.

Merkur Progress for new, Gillette Slim for vintage.

My recommendation would be Edwin Jagger DE89. I believe they are of excellent value and their after-sale service is also outstanding. My second recommendation would be Feather Popular.

Vintage: Gillette Tech
New: Lord L6
Blade: Astra SP. I just think that recommending a blade sampler for n00bs is a mistake. It's just one more unnecessary variable.

I'd go for a fifties Flare Tip Super Speed, but if you want new, an ej89. If you want a RAD killer, I'd head straight to the Weber. It's actually easier to gt a smooth shave with than the others. I don't see it being too rough in a beginners's hands either.

I have to agree with the Edwin Jagger DE89. I have a Muhle R89 which is basically the same razor (same head) and it is very nice. You can get a DE89 for 30-35 bucks so it doesn't break the bank and it is pretty smooth shaving. But, as Lucidor said above, going straight to a Weber (I have the polished with bulldog handle) may make you never want to buy another again. Very smooth, my favorite thus far. It's also $70 too. Lots of people may say try out a Superspeed or Tech, etc. they can be had pretty cheap, especially in antique stores, flea markets, etc. I like my modern DE razors much more but as they all say on here, YMMV. Good luck to you, I haven't been at this a long time myself.

When I get that question (and I get it a lot!) I always say that it's really up to you, there are lots of options out there, etc., etc.

If I'm pushed to make a choice, though, I recommend the EJ DE8x series, because they're relatively inexpensive, shave great for both new guys and veterans alike, are made well, look super...

(You get the idea, right?:lol:)

I'll take a look at the DE89 ... I read good things about Astra blades, but I am going to try several brands anyway.

I would also recommend the Jagger razor to you as one you can start with and one that you will stay with after you get proficient at DE shaving.

I always recommend a new DE shaver get a 100 count carton of Astra blades (they are around $9 delivered through amazon).

After they get half of the carton used (2-3 months) they should know how to shave by then and can start looking at different blades.

I have seen way too many new shavers grab a large "sampler package" and get awful shave after awful shave from each and every brand, blaming their problems on the razor blades and never leaning how to shave.

Pick one blade.
Prep your beard properly
Map your beard (so you know which way WTG, XTG, ATG is)
Stretch your skin while shaving
Use short rapid strokes and keep a consistent blade angle.

If you do all of the above you should be able to shave with any blade stuffed into any razor and get a perfect shave time after time.

Top Bottom