What's new

Best DE razor for a beginner?

this should be a sticky

I would also recommend the Jagger razor to you as one you can start with and one that you will stay with after you get proficient at DE shaving.

I always recommend a new DE shaver get a 100 count carton of Astra blades (they are around $9 delivered through amazon).

After they get half of the carton used (2-3 months) they should know how to shave by then and can start looking at different blades.

I have seen way too many new shavers grab a large "sampler package" and get awful shave after awful shave from each and every brand, blaming their problems on the razor blades and never leaning how to shave.

Pick one blade.
Prep your beard properly
Map your beard (so you know which way WTG, XTG, ATG is)
Stretch your skin while shaving
Use short rapid strokes and keep a consistent blade angle.

If you do all of the above you should be able to shave with any blade stuffed into any razor and get a perfect shave time after time.

I started with a Merkur 180 and EJ89 but wish I would have found the Gillette Super Speed earlier. I think it is much forgiving for the beginner (like me).

Here is your answer--forget everything else in the thread. Get a $18 Flare-Tip Super Speed and a 5-pack of 7 O'clock Gillette Black blades. After that, you can branch out as you wish.

Another vote for the DE 89BA. Before venturing into DE I stumbled onto B&B. I did a lot of reading and joined the forum so that I could ask questions. Being visually impaired I was scared chitless about using such a tool. A mirror is pretty much useless to me and I had to learn to shave mostly by feel. My bigest fear was turning my face into hamburger. With the mildness of the DE89 that didn't happen. I started off with Derbies. Though they pulled and tugged I wanted something mild until I got a feel for it, pardon the punn. After only a couple of shaves I swapped the Derby for an Astra SP. Ahh, much better!

After 18 months I'm still using the same gear. One day I 'd like to own a stainless but the Jagger is doing all I ask of it. That combined with Astra SP's and Tabac soap along with a Duke 3 which was an upgrade from an EJ brush. For the past few shaves I've finally had the nerve to use a Feather. Life is great and it's nice to be albe to look forward to shaving rather than having it be a chore.

Should you purchase one of these fine razors and not like it, wich I highly dobut, you can always make a quick sale on BST. Best of luck with what ever weapon you choose.

I agree that the DE89 is a good starting point. I didn't start with that razor ( I started with an iKon S3S and Modern) but if I could do it again, I would have have started with an EJ.

I've been shaving with a few differnt razors and recomend these 2 to starters

Just had my first shave with the Jagger DE89 Barley and can say that it's an excellent razor. It would also make a great 1st razor. Mild but shaves my skin close with an Astra SP.

My other choice would be a Gillette flare tip Superspeed. There is something cool about vintage TTO razors. While I wish the handle was just a little longer. I get a good firm grip with it. And it's a nice mild shaver as well.

EJ DE89L or Merkur Progress; I slightly favor the Progress because it can be set very mild and the angle is closer to a cartridge (handle more parallel to face).

Call me crazy, but I don't think I could recommend a Tech to a beginner. The Tech was my first DE, but I think it may have been just a touch too mild for my own good.

I stuck with it for 6 months and tried plenty of tricks to keep my neck from getting irritated and to get a smoother shave under my chin. I broke down a month ago and bought a Slim, and its been smooth shaving ever since.

While the adjustability of the Slim is nice, I would recommend a non-adjustable razor that's a touch more aggressive than a Tech.

Of course,YMMV, and my opinion is subject to change after I try shaving with my Tech again.

It is going to be a Mühle R89 :001_smile

I got a very good offer from a Dutch fellow shaver (EUR 20 including shipping), and for that price I can take the risk.

My 2 cents. I have only been wet shaving for a little over a year, so I might be the noob status everyone is referring to. To me the EJ DE89 provides a smoother shave than my 23C. I have the Barley handle which I find to be lacking in grip a little bit. Therefore my EJ DE89 now has the 23C handle on it. I dub it the DE89LH (if this were a real thing I bet it would sell like wildfire). I have a 23C, DE89BA, Little Bastone, and a slim adjustable in the mail. I find the EJ to be the better razor of my limited collection. Hope this helps.

Congrats and give us a report back about yout Muhle R89 experience

Of course I will. Probably only in a few weeks, though. I am on a work trip abroad next week, and I go for convenience then, so I guess I'll package my current Contour (just learned that it's called Atra in the USA) razor.

Hopefully I get it in the mail before Sunday, so that I can try at least one shave. The seller would pack a few Merkur blades as well, so I'm set for the first few shaves.

Call me crazy, but I don't think I could recommend a Tech to a beginner. The Tech was my first DE, but I think it may have been just a touch too mild for my own good.

I stuck with it for 6 months and tried plenty of tricks to keep my neck from getting irritated and to get a smoother shave under my chin. I broke down a month ago and bought a Slim, and its been smooth shaving ever since.

While the adjustability of the Slim is nice, I would recommend a non-adjustable razor that's a touch more aggressive than a Tech.

Of course,YMMV, and my opinion is subject to change after I try shaving with my Tech again.
Try to get hold of the type I have; the triangular slot Canada 1932 PAT. It's supposed to be a little more aggressive than a post WWII Tech & really does shave extremely well.

I started with a 1958 fatboy off eBay and I would highly recommend the same. It's fully adjustable and you can usually pick. One up for under $40. I'd start with an Astra blade and work your way o a Feather after you've honed your technique.

Try to get hold of the type I have; the triangular slot Canada 1932 PAT. It's supposed to be a little more aggressive than a post WWII Tech & really does shave extremely well.

I hear the earlier models are supposed to be a bit more aggressive. I probably should pick one up just to compare at some point.

Vintage: Gillette Tech
New: Lord L6
Blade: Astra SP. I just think that recommending a blade sampler for n00bs is a mistake. It's just one more unnecessary variable.

I just started DE shaving a month or so ago, and I think the sampler pack is crucial. If I had only bought astras and used them (which I had considered), I would have given up DE shaving saying it wasn't for me, because my face would be so burnt after every shave (naturally, tried the astra SP's in the sample pack first). Luckily, I tried a different blade, and found a perfect combo :001_smile

Top Bottom