What's new

Best DE razor for a beginner?

I have two Techs. One is my dad's old alu handle travel size Tech from the sixties, which is ridiculously mild, even when the head is transplanted to my Weber handle. That put me off Tech until I got an old beat up Tech as part of a lot on an auction site. That one shaves much better, and made me understand just how good a shaver Tech can be.
I hear the earlier models are supposed to be a bit more aggressive. I probably should pick one up just to compare at some point.

I will say the Edwin Jagger 89 as well,that's what I started with and bought one for my dad, he loves his!
amazon sell the EJ89 for under £20 at the moment.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I'm going to go down a different road and say

It doesn't matter, just get a razor! Then stick with it for two months.

A big problem beginners have, IMO is using too many razors and blades. You need to learn to shave without killing yourself first, and your face/neck is unique, so it will take some time to nail this extremely fine motor skill.

Avoid the really aggressive razors like the R41 or slant, that's all. Get an EJ DE879 (like I did) or a Merkur HD, or a vintage Gillette flare tip, even a red tip is fine. Just get one and use it daily for two months before you start collecting.

I also suggest you do not get a dozen blades. You won't have the miles under your belt to determine which are good anyway, and a lot of them are crap. Stick with one or two blades from the most popular brands like, Astra SP, Personna (any kind), Gillette 7 O'Clock (blue/black recommended), Sharks. Stay away from Derby, Merkur and other offbeat brands. After your two months are up go crazy! :001_tt2:

I think the whole concept of a 'beginner' razor is unecessary. IF you do not use 5 different razors while learning, the difference between a Gillette red tip and a Tech will only matter for about 3-5 days. After that it's honing technique which means sticking with one set of equipment for a while. Just get a razor and don't worry about your choice too much. Then shave.

I'm going to go down a different road and say

It doesn't matter, just get a razor! Then stick with it for two months.

A big problem beginners have, IMO is using too many razors and blades. You need to learn to shave without killing yourself first, and your face/neck is unique, so it will take some time to nail this extremely fine motor skill.

Avoid the really aggressive razors like the R41 or slant, that's all. Get an EJ DE879 (like I did) or a Merkur HD, or a vintage Gillette flare tip, even a red tip is fine. Just get one and use it daily for two months before you start collecting.

I also suggest you do not get a dozen blades. You won't have the miles under your belt to determine which are good anyway, and a lot of them are crap. Stick with one or two blades from the most popular brands like, Astra SP, Personna (any kind), Gillette 7 O'Clock (blue/black recommended), Sharks. Stay away from Derby, Merkur and other offbeat brands. After your two months are up go crazy! :001_tt2:

I think the whole concept of a 'beginner' razor is unecessary. IF you do not use 5 different razors while learning, the difference between a Gillette red tip and a Tech will only matter for about 3-5 days. After that it's honing technique which means sticking with one set of equipment for a while. Just get a razor and don't worry about your choice too much. Then shave.
+1000
~~Bravo~~Bravo~~Bravo~~
So true listen to this mans post.
BTW no pun intended:)

Having started the voyage of DE shaving few months ago, I would recommend Edwin Jagger 89 as starting razor.
It is almost "fool proof" with no steep learning curve, and you can easily have great shaves with it, whether as beginner or as experienced shaver.

Having started the voyage of DE shaving a few months ago, and since there are plenty of suggestions for DE razors from the previous posters, I will too go down a different road and say: Get some Personna blades and try your new razor with them. They seem to work for most people -beginners or more experienced wet shavers. I know they work for me -they are my reference blade.
As a side note, may I add that I started too with an EJ89 (I was torn between the EJ and the Merkur 34c-33c) but I have found that Merkur DEs work a little bit better for me. YMMV, of course :)

Last edited:
Having started the voyage of DE shaving a few months ago, and since there are plenty of suggestions for DE razors from the previous posters, I will too go down a different road and say: Get some Personna blades and try your new razor with them. They seem to work for most people -beginners or more experienced wet shavers. I know they work for me -they are my reference blade.

Good advice, I tried a lot of blades, and found Personna to be the best and smoothest for my beard.
For European people here, shop chain called Müller sells their Mman blades which are actually Personna, just rebranded.

I never understood the whole "beginner" razor concept. There's no defining characteristic beginners should look for in a razor.
Except for maybe price, beginners should look for cheap razors to test if they even want to make the transition.

But otherwise, I don't think giving a Muhle R41 to a beginner would be that bad at all - it would ensure poor shaving technique wouldn't develop.

I see your point, and it is a good one. But giving a Muhle R41 (specifically) to a beginner, with no technique whatsoever, could also lead to easy cuts that will make him quit wet shaving altogether. Just my 0,02 (euros) of course :)

Merkur off-beat?? Certainly not around here; I guess it is one of the few brands you can actually buy at the (brick and mortar) grocery store.

Good luck johant1968 - I asked a similar question on a different subforum here & have been really pleased with the responses & adcvice given; as sort of recommended by VerbaVolant above, I've decided to try out a Feather Popular (cheap, good reviews & mild for a newbie DE user...) plus a mixed pack of sample blades in addition to the 2 Feathers supplied - all for £15.

Hope all goes well...

Greetings all. Brand new here and have read this thread with great interest. I don't know if this has been addressed or not so forgive me if it has. Would anyone have any different recommendations for shaving your head? Thank you.

I've only used two DE razors, the Merkur Futur and the Edwin Jagger DE89. Being a relative newbie at DE shaving, I'd say the Edwin Jagger DE89 wins hands down on producing a clean irritation-free shave without any nicks or bleeders. Maybe when my skills improve, I'll go back to the Futur.

I started with a 33C and switched to a 34C. That extra weight is a beauty. However, I do wish that I had gotten an adjustable to start with. I didn't know they existed for this stuff. I didn't really start looking in to it until I had already jumped in :tongue_sm. I also bought a pack of 100 Astra SP blades and went from there. I've now bought a new brush and assorted pack of blades. Best thing I've done. Next is an adjustable...possibly the Rockwell.

Greetings all. Brand new here and have read this thread with great interest. I don't know if this has been addressed or not so forgive me if it has. Would anyone have any different recommendations for shaving your head? Thank you.

I will say it is difficult to shave your head well with a DE. So many bumps and curves. I used a DE, but ended up going back to a multiblade razor as it worked well for me. Give it a try and see how it goes.

I think this topic has appeared in so many threads.

I continue to recommend the Merkur Progress as a first DE. Set it to 2 and forget it is an adjustable. Use it until you get consistently good shaves, then try a different setting if you are inclined.

Top Bottom