What's new

Best Canned Cream?

Sacrilege, I know, but I favor canned shaving cream over anything requiring a brush as the performance (to me) is better.

Which canned shaving cream do you prefer and why?

I haven’t tried many but Nivea’s shaving gel for sensitive skin has performed the best for me. It’s so slick that it provides for the smoothest shave (more so than Proraso or Taylor).

lasta

Blade Biter
Foamy is a mainstay for me! I enjoy the regular and lemon/lime. Always have a few bottles under the sink. I use them everyday as a pre-shave.

Proraso Yellow is a new favourite, very tasty gourmand scent. Although this one is much thicker/cushiony than Foamy.

Foamy, Barbasol, proraso and noxzema. The slickest out of the can for me is foamy. But they all get slick with a bit more water in the mix.

I've been using Proraso green canned. I prefer Prep in the past but it's expensive and only in Sensibili. Foamy was good until they changed the scent.

Last edited:
Find most Wal-Mart Generic knock off shave goo in can is pure ElCrapo, Bsrbosol is sort of ok. It is best of poor option, poor is better then noting. Body Soap in pinch works.

Cheap Brush, Cheap Soap, and Old Coffee Mug is poor man answer to cost of goo in can, you can assemble the three basis tool under $10.00.

im going to go on a limb and say something out of the ordinary because all the Niveas, barbasol and Foamys have been mentioned.
My dollar store UAE-made Cosmo "artic" chill, and yes, they spell it with the typo even on the can itself lol.
ridiculously cheap and reasonable in terms of slickness (as far as canned stuff go)
they have a whole lineup, ive only tried the mentholated chill one and the orange "sport" one, the later of which is not my cup of tea.

Now that Foamy has a new, overpowering scent, it's out. WalMart's Equate still approximates that smell however.

Clubman's foam is up there for me, but at over twice the price of Barbasol it makes me stop and consider. I mean we're still talking sub 10 dollars I realize, but I just can't help it. It makes me respect the quiet endurance of Barbasol.

None of them. If canned cream is better than real lather cream and a brush, that means the problem is you and your technique. Either that or you didn't buy the right stuff.

I have tried most of the major brands over the years. Nothing at all to write home about. If I am traveling and forgot DE stuff I will usually resort to a Bic Sensitive disposable and canned Aveeno.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My wife and I went on a tour of the USA in 2019 and visited Pasteur's in New York. What a shop! I was so overwhelmed that after an hour of browsing I left with a single 100 year anniversary can of Barbasol, albeit a tough item to find in the UK 😆 I use it occasionally and it brings back wonderful memories of our trip - it really makes me happy, which is more important than any shave. Objectively, it is pretty good, if you have the correct technique. Here I am about to buy it.

rd (1).JPG

None of them. If canned cream is better than real lather cream and a brush, that means the problem is you and your technique. Either that or you didn't buy the right stuff.

I have tried most of the major brands over the years. Nothing at all to write home about. If I am traveling and forgot DE stuff I will usually resort to a Bic Sensitive disposable and canned Aveeno.

Few years ago, Gillette site used to have a questionnaire and guidelines of the best way to shave. I tried all kind of combinations with brush and soap and cream and their own Foamy. The only combination the was "optimum" was Gillette fusion blades with Gillette Fusion Gel. I could not make any other combination optimum.

Now that Foamy has a new, overpowering scent, it's out. WalMart's Equate still approximates that smell however.

Clubman's foam is up there for me, but at over twice the price of Barbasol it makes me stop and consider. I mean we're still talking sub 10 dollars I realize, but I just can't help it. It makes me respect the quiet endurance of Barbasol.
No Foamy is back in the saddle again with the original scent. Just got a can at Walgreens. Make sure the date code on the bottom is beyond 3191 (the 191 day of 2023) and you're in like flint.

Nah, people just have different preferences and that’s okay.

Few years ago, Gillette site used to have a questionnaire and guidelines of the best way to shave. I tried all kind of combinations with brush and soap and cream and their own Foamy. The only combination the was "optimum" was Gillette fusion blades with Gillette Fusion Gel. I could not make any other combination optimum.

That is hilarious to me. Again, sounds like a technique problem. I stopped using Gillette carts when the Mach3 was the big thing. I thought it sucked and gave me lots of ingrown hairs and irritation even with a careful one pass WTG shave. Didn't matter what cream or gel I used either. I think the last good razor they made was the Trac II, and even that wasn't as good as a single blade disposable like a Bic Sensitive.

No Foamy is back in the saddle again with the original scent. Just got a can at Walgreens. Make sure the date code on the bottom is beyond 3191 (the 191 day of 2023) and you're in like flint.
Interesting, I missed that they had backtracked on their scent change!

That is hilarious to me. Again, sounds like a technique problem. I stopped using Gillette carts when the Mach3 was the big thing. I thought it sucked and gave me lots of ingrown hairs and irritation even with a careful one pass WTG shave. Didn't matter what cream or gel I used either. I think the last good razor they made was the Trac II, and even that wasn't as good as a single blade disposable like a Bic Sensitive.

Absolutely funny they way it was done. If you choose Mach 3, the conclusion was that shave is good and it could be improved by Fusion. If you pick Brush and Cream/Foamy and Fusion razor, it will say that shave can be improved using Fusion Gel. All roads lead to Fusion blades and Fusion Gel. Nothing else made the cut. No other combination existed that was as good as Fusion Blades and Fusion Gel including any other Gillette products.

Top Bottom