What's new

beligerent new neighbor, advice needed

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but simply take out a "No Trespassing" complaint with your local law enforcement.
I am a pretty hot headed person about such things and would not have been so nice as you. I would probably be sending this rep from prison if he got in my face like that...just genetics, I suppose.

Its simple to make a "No Trespassing" complaint with your local law enforcement..at least it was for my crazy azz neighbor...(long story about him letting his pit bulls run freely in my yard...) the wuss wouldn't even step out in the street where we could, shall we say get better acquainted....
Good luck

My grandkids usually play in the front yard only when I am there. I have a rule about pit bulls- or any large dog for that matter. If they charge onto my lawn and the grandchildren are there, animal control will be removing the carcass.

What a joke. Who in the world finds it acceptable in any circumstance to march onto someone else's property and whinge about a guy enjoying a smoke? Not wanting your kids to smoke is one thing, but the way to handle that is to say "Don't do that," not stomp across the street to make a fool of yourself. I suspect his complaint about your barbecue being an affront to his religion has something to do with the fact that you were enjoying it on Sunday and his (bonkers) interpretation of the third commandment. On that count, 1) your BBQ, your property, your business and 2) it's insane to think that cooking for your family could be considered offensive in any way, regardless of religious beliefs or nonbeliefs. This @$$hole probably has no problem chowing down at his local Appleby's while some poor schmuck serves him on a Sunday, anyway.

To echo everyone else: document everything, politely tell him to pi$$ off, and get the local PD involved if it goes any further. The moron would probably wilt in a holding cell with the neighborhood drunk and a smack addict talking to themselves in the corner.

Video tape the behavior (or have someone else record it) and when you have enough footage. Call the police. Then get a restraining order from a court.

I would clean a shotgun, rifle, or handgun while enjoying a smoke in whatever attire I so desire. I would also inform him that he is not welcome on my property, therefore he would be dealt with as a trespasser in any future invasion of my privacy.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I would be happy to sponsor a huge B&B BBQ and cigar dinner at your home if you would care to have us.:001_cool:

Accept

This

Offer!!!

... But Sunday my uncle and aunt were visiting and we decided to have a cookout. Again the man crossed the yard and went into a frenzy - this time because we were mocking his religion? I don't understand how, and I couldn't even tell you what religion the man practices because he didn't make that clear. I despise conflict and will go to almost any length to avoid it. Unfortunately my uncle doesn't, and warned the man off my yard with some heated and colorful local expressions.

Glad to hear you don't have a Home Owner's Association ... busybodies obsessing over whether your front fence is or is not under the 24" maximum allowance (or whatever) seems like pointless intrusion to me.

Anyhow,

That's beside the point. You need to enlist the help of someone who is "good" at conflict. That is, who will calmly and firmly stand up to this kook, without getting all crazy about it like your uncle. (You and he were both excessive ... you too passive and he too aggressive ... You need to hit the right balance, and given your aversion to this sort of stuff, you need to enlist the help of someone else.)

Please disregard the "go upside his head" advice, or any threatening gestures that can escalate the situation.

Make friends with your local police. Let them know your concerns. Hopefully they can pay him a visit, let him know that he's in the wrong, and that his misdeeds have been reported and are not to recur.

I kinda like this neighbor of your, If only I was his neighbor ! I remember 3 years ago when my neighbor was mad at my father because he cut 2 inches on grass on his side of the turf... Burbs ! When you cut your lawn for the 2000 times, when you are spying on neighbors, watering cars because they moves at 35kmh instead 30kmh.... Do as I do for 3 years, don't talk to anybody, if someone put a foot on your turf to tell you to not smoke a cigarette, next time bring a cuban cigar. That's how I roll :001_cool:

Something sure adjusted the guy's attitude but it wasn't me. He was watching from his garage door late last week as I had my cousin over helping me install my cameras. I've been taking my smoke breaks out on the front porch as normal for a bit now, and with some of the posts here in mind even went to my local tobacconist and got myself a couple good cigars to enjoy in my front porch rocking chair. Maybe the cameras convinced him I'd be better left alone, or maybe his landlady put the fear in him after getting the letter from our lawyer. The man still glares at me any time I emerge from the house and he happens to be outside - and continues to stare/glare until I am gone, but if that's supposed to bother me it doesn't worry me one bit. I guess I won't let my guard down yet, but I'm sure glad he's stayed on his own side of the street and I'm grateful for all the advice in this thread! It absolutely seems to have worked!

Something sure adjusted the guy's attitude but it wasn't me. He was watching from his garage door late last week as I had my cousin over helping me install my cameras. I've been taking my smoke breaks out on the front porch as normal for a bit now, and with some of the posts here in mind even went to my local tobacconist and got myself a couple good cigars to enjoy in my front porch rocking chair. Maybe the cameras convinced him I'd be better left alone, or maybe his landlady put the fear in him after getting the letter from our lawyer. The man still glares at me any time I emerge from the house and he happens to be outside - and continues to stare/glare until I am gone, but if that's supposed to bother me it doesn't worry me one bit. I guess I won't let my guard down yet, but I'm sure glad he's stayed on his own side of the street and I'm grateful for all the advice in this thread! It absolutely seems to have worked!

Probably the combination of cameras, lawyer's letter, and your visible unwillingness to be intimidated. Glad it seems to be working out -- but watch your back!

Probably the combination of cameras, lawyer's letter, and your visible unwillingness to be intimidated. Glad it seems to be working out -- but watch your back!

+1

Continue to treat this tool as if he is on a short leash. Don't give him an inch before calling the police. Most losers like this, who prey on people, are even more pissed when someone tries to tell them what to do. ( Landlord, Police, etc ) The fact that he stares you down would suggest that he's not letting it go. Don't let it phase you though, he's the one with the crummy life.

I would just stare right back at him and with a great big smile I would wave at him and say; "Howdy Neighbor!" =-)

I would just tell him once "Thank you for your interest" and then ask him "Surely you have other things to attend to?". If he turns out to be a religious nutter, just remind him "Judge not, etc"

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would just tell him once "Thank you for your interest" and then ask him "Surely you have other things to attend to?". If he turns out to be a religious nutter, just remind him "Judge not, etc"

You definitely do not want to hear what I tell (insert your holy book here) thumpers.

In my neighborhood we chamber a round and inform the trespasser that he has two seconds to turn around and leave or take his dying breath on my lawn.

Of course, everyone up here knows the rules and respects the legitimate rights of others - not every region/town/neighborhood/barrio is like that. In your case, it sounds like you've done the right thing, and I agree, it sounds like you've got a nut-job on your hands. Don't give him an inch . . . ever!

In my neighborhood we chamber a round and inform the trespasser that he has two seconds to turn around and leave or take his dying breath on my lawn.

Of course, everyone up here knows the rules and respects the legitimate rights of others - not every region/town/neighborhood/barrio is like that. In your case, it sounds like you've done the right thing, and I agree, it sounds like you've got a nut-job on your hands. Don't give him an inch . . . ever!

I wish...apparently that isn't so here. A friend of mine woke up around 1am to find 3 punks stealing a couple ATVs from his garage and he fired a warning shot. Of course they took off running but one fell and broke his ankle. Long story short, it went to court and was thrown out. But it was thrown out because the kids didn't show on time. The judge in no uncertain terms stated he would have found my friend guilty. So even though they were trespassing, breaking and entering a garage, and stealing he was in the wrong to fire a warning shot. Stupid...

Top Bottom