What's new

I have great neighbors...

Many years ago I had a little battle ongoing with a neighbourhood mutt that would come over to my yard to get rid of used dog food. Not a problem, as I know the cure...

So about two weeks after that started the neighbour and I were chatting in the street. He looked at my lawn and said, "Wow. How do you keep dog poop from making those burnt holes in your grass? Your lawn is so green!" I smiled with justifiable pride and told him my secret.

Bacon grease.

"Oh, like it helps the poop dissolve into the grass?" he asked.

"No, I don't think so. I just melt some in a cup and come out and pour a bit on every deposit. Next day, they're all gone."

"Wow!" he said. "I'm gonna try thhhh....." and as his voice went silent he was watching his kids playing with their dog in their front yard.

"HEY YOU KIDS DON'T LET THE DOG LICK YOUR FACES LIKE THAT!!" he screamed as he ran back across the street.

I just smiled and waved...

O.H.
Brilliant!
:a29::a29::a29:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I lived in a townhouse community once. Everyone had a nice little patch of flowers and plants right off their front porch. I saw the neighbors dog making a deposit once and I kindly knocked on their door, told the young lady what I saw, and asked if they could keep their dog from doing it again. Sure sure she said. All seemed well. Until a few days later I saw the dog make another deposit in my flowers. So I got the plastic shopping bag, scooped it up, and knocked on their door…”Your dog came over again, here ya go” and I handed the deposit bag to her. IDK if she was worried about what would happen the 3rd time but it never happened again.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
i lived in an apt complex that required a blood sample for DNA of your dog when you moved in. They would get the DNA of your dog then test it against any poop they found on the grounds. They fined $500 for the 1st 4 times they found your dogs poop that wasn’t picked up and they’d evict you for a 5th offense.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i lived in an apt complex that required a blood sample for DNA of your dog when you moved in. They would get the DNA of your dog then test it against any poop they found on the grounds. They fined $500 for the 1st 4 times they found your dogs poop that wasn’t picked up and they’d evict you for a 5th offense.
That’s extremely extreme. But, I kinda think that’s a good thing.

Re. the OP here, yes it is an easement just like mine. So you don't own it, the county does since there are utilities running underneath. But you are responsible for maintaining it, not the county. The county does not mow it, for instance. So the idea that the folks across the street would do as they have... it is jaw dropping.

Not an excuse at all but an observation. I wonder if your home had been rented prior to you living there. So the tenants don't care and the folks across the street took advantage of the situation. Then you buy the home and are the owner so you rightfully have a sense of ownership that the renters never did.

That is about the only scenario I can come up with. And even then what they were doing is unacceptable.
Not true. You own the land subject to the easement. The owner may do whatever he wants with the land so long as he doesn’t interfere with the underlying utilities or their maintenance. The easement affords no one else the right to trespass on your land, including allowing their pet to defecate there.

Not true. You own the land subject to the easement. The owner may do whatever he wants with the land so long as he doesn’t interfere with the underlying utilities or their maintenance. The easement affords no one else the right to trespass on your land, including allowing their pet to defecate there.
I agree and that makes perfect sense - thanks for summarizing that succinctly. The easement also allows the underlying utilities to be maintained / replaced. So if you plant a rose garden in the easement and they replace the sanitary sewer they are not responsible for whatever happens to the rose garden.

Many years ago I had a little battle ongoing with a neighbourhood mutt that would come over to my yard to get rid of used dog food. Not a problem, as I know the cure...

So about two weeks after that started the neighbour and I were chatting in the street. He looked at my lawn and said, "Wow. How do you keep dog poop from making those burnt holes in your grass? Your lawn is so green!" I smiled with justifiable pride and told him my secret.

Bacon grease.

"Oh, like it helps the poop dissolve into the grass?" he asked.

"No, I don't think so. I just melt some in a cup and come out and pour a bit on every deposit. Next day, they're all gone."

"Wow!" he said. "I'm gonna try thhhh....." and as his voice went silent he was watching his kids playing with their dog in their front yard.

"HEY YOU KIDS DON'T LET THE DOG LICK YOUR FACES LIKE THAT!!" he screamed as he ran back across the street.

I just smiled and waved...

O.H.
This gave me a belly laugh.

About 60 years ago, my mother had the same issue. My mother politely informed the dog owner that she was buying a cow.

Does one get their deposit back if evicted? :001_smile

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Until recently we lived in a suburban development of large houses with full sidewalks and curbs. It was customary for everyone to walk their dogs in the street, and let them roam on the small strip of easement grass between the curb and sidewalks. They did their business on the streets or that easement strip of grass. All dog owners were required to scoop the poop. And keep their dogs on a leash. I had no issue with this behavior. As long as the poop was scooped and bagged, and taken to the trash receptacle. And the dogs remained on leash. We followed this practice with our dog as well. It was the way it was done.

I had this friendly neighbor that I occasionally had chats and shared beers, etc. We rode motorcycles together a couple of times. He lived maybe 5 houses away. He seemed like a real stand up guy for years. Then one day he was “walking” his dog unleashed, riding his kid’s hoverboard. He stopped to chat. While there, his dog takes a steamer right next to my mailbox. I said “are you going to pick that up?” He said he couldn’t because he didn’t have a bag. I went in the house, got a poop bag, gave it to him, and told him to get his dog’s poop off my lawn. He did. And he never talked to me again. Good riddance.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I found this kinda funny.

The fence installers and I were taking measurements on where to place posts for the gate and fence on Thursday, as they need to be mounted to the existing 3' high brick wall and over the drainage system I had installed because of my inconsiderate neighbors overwatering and the mud constantly flowing across my driveway, and just as I was calling the neighbors inconsiderate I heard their bedroom window shut loudly about 15' from where we were standing. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm kinda hoping the next door neighbor's wife complains about the fence installers putting some of their tools on their side of the yard when the fence is getting installed, so I can ask her if they would like to contribute to the fence I am having installed so their trash stays in their yard, not mine. I'm tired my yard of being your trash can, you want a second opinion?

You're fat and ugly.:a30::a7::quickdraw

~doug~

Top Bottom