What's new

beligerent new neighbor, advice needed

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm afraid that would be my response. I might be caught off guard the first time but I wouldn't let it continue. I would have talked to the police after the second time to get it on record and find out my rights. Nothing worse than a bad neighbor. I had some bad ones when I lived in an apartment but usually loser renters don't last long. Hopefully that's the case with yours.
Nothing says "get the F off my property" like the sound of jacking a round into an Remington 820- very unmistakeable sound.

People like that go looking for others that they can evoke that type of reaction from. Don't let him bully you, that's why he feels he can push the issue. No need to live in fear. You're the home team!

The fact that he is renting the house puts a whole new spin on this, and a new hope. Landlords do not like troublesome renters! We had a problem with a renter in my neighborhood and we complained to the landlord. Many leases have clauses that allow for eviction if the tenants cause "problems". This might be something that could work for you.

Good luck,

Tim
Exactly.

If the noob Rental guy next door wants to confront a long time, law abiding, tax paying, Property Owner....well......you've got a lot of leverage here. You don't need to threaten him, document everything and let the cops and the lawyers get him evicted. Then we'll have the BBQ that Jim was talking about.

As a concealed firearms licensee myself, I agree. Keep weapons out of it, no show, no mention of weapons, of any kind. The only way I would consider using one was if he actually assualted me.

Having a son an attorney I also agree, document everything, and call the police if he confronts you.

Sit in a lawn chair in your front yard, wearing a wife beater, smoking a fat cigar while adjusting the tactical rail on this:

$Mossberg 500.jpg

I have one of these except it is configured a bit different. It's a Mossberg 500 tactical with a black aces quad rail. Extra hardware includes reticle, laser and strobe light. I'll bet he stays in his own yard!

Here's mine:
$20121017_184738.jpg

$20121017_184752.jpg
Special B&B holster.. lol

$20121017_184809.jpg
Business end

Scott

Last edited:
you could trim down a shave stick to put in one of the other shell holders. A gentleman should be well shave when getting ready to blast the bejeebus out of something.

A brush would fit nicely, too. You could turn down the handle on a VDH brush pretty easily; something rugged for the field.

I agree .. I carry and conceal , but weapons are only for absolute last resort..

As a concealed firearms licensee myself, I agree. Keep weapons out of it, no show, no mention of weapons, of any kind. The only way I would consider using one was if he actually assualted me.

Having a son an attorney I also agree, document everything, and call the police if he confronts you.

I agree .. I carry and conceal , but weapons are only for absolute last resort..

Absolutely agreed. I'd never want to open carry, allowed or not. Doesn't really serve the function as well to my thinking.

I about had a hemorrhage laughing at that link. It made me think of a story my boss was telling me about a guy in his neighborhood who was under surveillance by the police, and used to mow with his riding mower in his underwear just to have some kind of bizarre abstract laugh at their expense. I actually did mow this afternoon; attired in jeans, tee shirt and baseball cap =D The guy got home while I was at it but didn't seem interested in what I was up to. I have a feeling he's gotten short treatment by the other neighbors and now feels like he's outnumbered and that badgering us isn't worth doing.

I should add, I've been to CA a few times, and it seemed like as ordinary a place as anywhere. I don't think that kind of behavior would be considered acceptable there either!

Absolutely agreed. I'd never want to open carry, allowed or not. Doesn't really serve the function as well to my thinking.

I about had a hemorrhage laughing at that link. It made me think of a story my boss was telling me about a guy in his neighborhood who was under surveillance by the police, and used to mow with his riding mower in his underwear just to have some kind of bizarre abstract laugh at their expense. I actually did mow this afternoon; attired in jeans, tee shirt and baseball cap =D The guy got home while I was at it but didn't seem interested in what I was up to. I have a feeling he's gotten short treatment by the other neighbors and now feels like he's outnumbered and that badgering us isn't worth doing.

I should add, I've been to CA a few times, and it seemed like as ordinary a place as anywhere. I don't think that kind of behavior would be considered acceptable there either!

Ding! Your right. I myself having to deal with idiots on a daily basis don't have patience with rudness, disrespect or beligerant behavior. They'd be facedown on the lawn with cuffs behind them real quick. I'll treat you in the same manner you bring to me. In CA, we still hold doors open for next person, and politeness is generally observed. You have a wacko here & there like everywhere else I suppose but in general, it's pretty even keel here. Speaking of which, the other day at a coffee shop a lady wnet to pay for her $4 lattee and the business debit swipe machine went kaput. Well looking into her purse she didn't have cash and so they kept trying the broken swipe machine. Finally a local high school kid offered to pay & did for her. I was impressed.

[/I](SNIP) Speaking of which, the other day at a coffee shop a lady wnet to pay for her $4 lattee and the business debit swipe machine went kaput. Well looking into her purse she didn't have cash and so they kept trying the broken swipe machine. Finally a local high school kid offered to pay & did for her. I was impressed.

Ah, a gentleman in the making!

First I'd want to stomp a mudhole in him and walk it dry. Unfortunatly you can't do that now a days. For sure document and report.

[/I]...Speaking of which, the other day at a coffee shop a lady wnet to pay for her $4 lattee and the business debit swipe machine went kaput. Well looking into her purse she didn't have cash and so they kept trying the broken swipe machine. Finally a local high school kid offered to pay & did for her. I was impressed.

Good on the kid. A simple gesture like that shows a lot about his or her character. Though I can't help but think the coffee shop should have just given it to her. Their equipment malfunction should be on them, not on the customer (or kind-hearted others).

As for the OP, the vast majority of advice you've been given is solid. Document it, report it to the police, and otherwise avoid him. There is no reasoning with the unreasonable and you're more likely to escalate the situation than help it. Every state's laws on restraining orders is different so I can't help you there. But many states deliberately make the process to get one much simpler for people without attorneys than your average legal procedure. So if you feel you need one try calling the courthouse and ask if they have anyone that helps pro se (legal term for unrepresented, pronounced "Pro-Say") parties apply for a restraining order. May save you some cash over hiring an attorney.

And please avoid bringing weapons into play if at all possible. I'm a CCW holder and believe strongly in the 2nd amendment and the right of self defense. But even just displaying a weapon in an arguably threatening manner can get you in all kinds of legal trouble and turn the bully into the victim. So keep it on you but well hidden until or unless your life or health is in immediate danger.

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but simply take out a "No Trespassing" complaint with your local law enforcement.
I am a pretty hot headed person about such things and would not have been so nice as you. I would probably be sending this rep from prison if he got in my face like that...just genetics, I suppose.

Its simple to make a "No Trespassing" complaint with your local law enforcement..at least it was for my crazy azz neighbor...(long story about him letting his pit bulls run freely in my yard...) the wuss wouldn't even step out in the street where we could, shall we say get better acquainted....
Good luck

We have a guy who walks around the condo complex taking pictures of everyone's houses. He is always doing battle with the condo board over something. One day I saw him taking pictures with his phone so I stuck my hand through the blinds and flipped him the bird. I hope it came out clear enough.

Top Bottom