What's new

Barbasol works best for me.. why

I just finished using up a can of Barbasol yesterday. I was using it with a brush and adding a lot of water. Performance was very good when used this way. The amount that I would squeeze out of my brush after three passes was about equal to the volume that I started with out of the can.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just because some "gentlemen" here derisively refer to it as "canned goo" doesn't make it taboo.

Just for grins, I squirted a dollop of Barbisol in my scuttle the other morning, loaded the brush, applied and shaved. The results were just as good as if I'd used a more traditional product. Actually, I'd call Barbisol traditional, since the company and original product started in 1919, and Barbisol invented and patented the first aerosol shaving cream can in the mid-1950s. So it seems to me that a product that's been around for almost a century is pretty darned vintage and traditional.

Noob here using Barbasol as well. It's what's worked for me so far, although I must confess, it is because I haven't worked up the gumption to buy soap & brush. I'm not able to find a convincing enough argument to make the room and the time for it...

I have tried a ton of products, razors and spent a ton of money, with the intent of saving it. A good shave comes down to technique, and prep. But Barbasol and Gillette Foamy do one thing other soaps don’t which is really soften my beard. I can get a great shave from other soaps and creams, but do I get a higher quality shave... Not really, save the money and spend on the wife lol!!!

I'm somewhat new to wet shaving so I still have a few cans of gel and Barbasol on hand. I will use it when I'm short on time. My face doesn't mind.

While I get better shaves with less irritation from soaps and creams, I used Barbasol for years and it was the best canned product I ever used. More cost doesn't always equate to better product.

I'm really not surprised Barbasol works great for you. As far as canned stuff goes, it's as good as it gets. Whatever it takes to get the great shave you are looking for.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
As always YMMV. Nothing wrong with canned foams and gels. I like Nivea canned foams and gels. What ever works for you is what it is all about.

Barbasol is still around because it works. Even my 3-4 year old can of Original, though the foam has thinned to liquid, lets me shave without irritation and with good effect. The true foam softens the beard even more.

It's also inexpensive and can be found at Dollar Tree, and the small travel cans are available at Walmart and Target for about $1.00 too.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I have tried different brands of canned shaving cream with my DE razors and have found the Barbasol original worked best for me. I have also put it in my lathering bowl and used a wet brush to face lather. I found it does work a little better with some added water and using a brush. I just like to know there is something available that I can buy locally in case I need to. By the way, I also liked the post shave feeling of my face.

I get a great shave with canned foam. I use the lime gillette foam now and then since its what i started with as a kid, great stuff.

Proraso do a good foam, Bulldog foam is great, as is the stuff from Nivea.

A supermarket close to here sells foam for 50p a tin, its not as creamy as the more expensive options but definitely slick, i get very good shaves from it.

If you dont get on with stuff such as fragrance oils, lanolin etc.. then foam may be a great option for you.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Canned foam is fine here. Whatever works is good.

For me, the most protection comes from MdC. It is definitely initially expensive, but the jar lasts me a little over a year.

Good protection with WK as well. More expensive as I need three to get through a year, but cheaper to try.

It's possible you just have not found the right soap for your face. It's also possible that the canned foam does the best job for you.

My favorite combo is TOBS, badger brush, Muhle R41, Astra blade, but, just fot grins, I tried some Barbisol original in the red can that I had under the counter. I pre washed with Neutrogena glycerin soap, applied a few drops of sweet almond oil as a pre-shave and then put on the Barbisol. I was totally impressed. Really great shave and the cost is peanuts. Plus. I love the scent.

Top Bottom