What's new

Barbasol works best for me.. why

Hello, I been wet shaving now for about 5 years. I tried so many different creams, brushes, combinations of the two, different blades (astra's work best for me in all my razors) but I get the best shave with less nicks and cuts using barbasol. I know that is taboo and really wish i got a better shave with the nicer products out there.

if I use CO Bigelow for example, my whole neck is dotted with the red specks of blood. use barbasol, its much better. I am getting good lathers etc and feels slick but just not getting the protection I need to help with the nicks. If I use my fat boy or slim for example I have to dial it down to a 3 or so but then I am not getting a close shave at all. I have a thick beard and sensitive skin, bad combo.

part of the experience in wet shaving as you know is the brush and lather and I am not getting that enjoyment. Yes I am saving time and money using a can but it just works so well for me. I guess I can still use my brush to apply it but just bummed I am not getting the results i wanted.

anyone else out there having good results with a can.

on a side note, ordered an NOS schick krona razor that is on the way.

The first rule of shaving is...use what works best for you. While I personally would like to see you something other than canned goo...in the end it is your face...and if a can of Barbasol Shaving Cream works best for you...then use the canned goo. Believe it or not...but Proraso and CO Bigelow make their version of canned goo. Also they make a cream for sensitive skin...and in a canned goo. But the lesson here is that we all have different skin and growth patterns. So what works for me most likely will not work for you. I just ask that you keep using a DE, SE, or straight razor...PLEASE! :001_cool:

Last edited:
I will give Proraso or CO Bigelow canned goo a shot. at least its a better brand. I tried the sensitive skin version of the cream and helped with the irritation but not the nicks.
appreciate the response.

It's not taboo. A can is just a way of creating foam, and if the can contains the product that works best for you, go for it.

That reminds me: I have a couple travel size Barbasol cans under my sink. I haven't used that in years, but it was my go-to for a long time. I should bust it out and try it again.

It's not taboo. A can is just a way of creating foam, and if the can contains the product that works best for you, go for it.

That reminds me: I have a couple travel size Barbasol cans under my sink. I haven't used that in years, but it was my go-to for a long time. I should bust it out and try it again.
Curious to see how it works for you.
One brand I did not get is razorock soaps. May give that a shot.

I have to say that when I hear "canned goo" I think of drying blue gels, not foam, and you'll find that Barbasol is very well-accepted here as a canned foam that really works well.

Yes, use what works. There will always be time later to experiment with other soaps or creams to find something equal in cushioning to Barbasol, if you feel like it.

I've been using my R41 with a can shaving cream for years now, just a quick one pass shave and time to get on with the rest of the day.

I tried Barbasol canned cream for the first time in years this morning. I squirted it into my shaving mug and applied it with a brush as though I had built the lather from soap or cream.

It came out looking pretty dry -- very stiff peaks. So I left my brush wetter than usual and went about my business. It still applied a little drier than I like, so I dabbed the brush in a little water to get closer to the consistency I prefer. I found it still wanted to dry on my face by the end of the first pass, so on the 2 other passes, I added more water to the mug of lather and stirred it up. That worked better. I don't remember it being that dry when I used to apply it directly to my wet face with wet hands, so using a mug and brush may require a modification of factory-intended technique.

The result was a glassy smooth BBS shave that was very comfortable once I got the consistency right. It's not going to replace my favorite soaps, but it's great to know my old standby of yore is still great to use when the circumstances are right. I don't like face-lathering sticks, so I may take Barbasol with me when I travel and don't want to mess with soap. Especially on short "carry on only" flights when I'm just taking my Fusion anyway. Traveling extra light, I could see doing without the mug and brush too. Fusion and Barbasol would be fine on a short trip, and very convenient.

I tried Barbasol canned cream for the first time in years this morning. I squirted it into my shaving mug and applied it with a brush as though I had built the lather from soap or cream.

It came out looking pretty dry -- very stiff peaks. So I left my brush wetter than usual and went about my business. It still applied a little drier than I like, so I dabbed the brush in a little water to get closer to the consistency I prefer. I found it still wanted to dry on my face by the end of the first pass, so on the 2 other passes, I added more water to the mug of lather and stirred it up. That worked better. I don't remember it being that dry when I used to apply it directly to my wet face with wet hands, so using a mug and brush may require a modification of factory-intended technique.

The result was a glassy smooth BBS shave that was very comfortable once I got the consistency right. It's not going to replace my favorite soaps, but it's great to know my old standby of yore is still great to use when the circumstances are right. I don't like face-lathering sticks, so I may take Barbasol with me when I travel and don't want to mess with soap. Especially on short "carry on only" flights when I'm just taking my Fusion anyway. Traveling extra light, I could see doing without the mug and brush too. Fusion and Barbasol would be fine on a short trip, and very convenient.
Sitting in the Airport waiting to board. It is a short one day trip. I have Barbasol and a fusion razor in my carry on. It has been 2 years since I used a cart.

thanks all for the responses. I know some of the downside to the canned stuff is they say it dries out your skin due to the propellants in it.. I have oily skin so that is not an issue for me. I just ordered some mudder focker and marco something or another from razorock to see if I get good results from them with a brush but yeah, barbasol works good for me. I want to get the full effect of de shaving which is the lather part so hoping the new stuff is better for me.

I also got my schick krona and wow, what a nice razor. nothing fancy, plastic handle but I put in a feather blade and that combo with a mild razor, got a good shave on just one minor nick.

Use what works best for you and don't worry about it. There are some highly regarded soaps that don't work for me. There is one controversial soap that I love. I get excellent shaves from Edge Gel and Noxzema foam when I use them. It's ok to keep searching, it's also ok to stick with what works. It's just shaving.

No, I get better results with soaps. Since you're getting the best results with Barbasol, why not stick with it? It's your face and neck, after all. :001_smile

Use what works best for you and don't worry about it. There are some highly regarded soaps that don't work for me. There is one controversial soap that I love. I get excellent shaves from Edge Gel and Noxzema foam when I use them. It's ok to keep searching, it's also ok to stick with what works. It's just shaving.
Thanks big Pete and the rest. Sometimes is feel guilty not getting the full experience but will keep trying others for fun.
Tried the don Marco today and got lots of cuts and weepers but will attribute that to a feather blade. Will try my trusted astra blades with it tomm.

Top Bottom