What's new

Barbasol works best for me.. why

If it ain't broke , don't fix it. There's nothing wrong with using Barbasol if that's what works for you. I always keep some Barbasol on hand.

Barbasol and a wet brush for me. Creams and soaps dry out before I'm halfway through a shave. Its the same old false belief "it must be better it costs so much more."

Barbasol and a wet brush for me. Creams and soaps dry out before I'm halfway through a shave. Its the same old false belief "it must be better it costs so much more."

I have similar problems, and used the same setup this morning.

Barbasol isn't effected by hard water because it's not soap based, so it's relatively slick and moist, considering the simple ingredients. Sure, the bog standard Original formula has no skin conditioners, but you can use preshave oil. I used Barbasol's brushless cream as a preshave, so I get the best of both worlds- some skin conditioning and blade protection combined with continuous wet lather.

Last edited:

I think I'm going to start doing this myself. Better than beating my brushes to death trying to lather soap.

There's a guy on Amazon selling a restrictor washer for Barbasol cans and I got one of those so it doesn't spray out a crazy amount, so you can do a real one-pass lather.

Edge gel is also perfectly usable with a brush as well and it works great, lathers up nicely.

Many roads to Rome, use what works for you and don't let anyone tell you different.

If you get the itch to experiment go for it, you never know what you may find.

Good luck!

Chris

I have not Barbasol here, in Europe, but Gillette Foamy Sensitive is my favorite canned foam. We have also Nivea and some other brands available.

Unlike many canned foams and gels that are based primarily on synthetic detergents, Barbasol is based on some of the same ingredients used by artisan soapmakers. Although I use artisan soaps most of the time, I keep a can of Barbasol Extra Moisturizing in the shower for when I need to shave in a hurry. The ingredients are:

Water, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Isobutane, Laureth-23, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Lanolin Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Chamomile Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (Chamomile), Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract (Irish Moss), Propoxylated Stearyl Alcohol, Dimethyl Lauramine Oleate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Propane, Fragrance.

Although there are some synthetic ingredients, the key ingredient is stearic acid. With the added skin conditioners, the postshave feel is as good as many artisan soaps.

I have not Barbasol here, in Europe, but Gillette Foamy Sensitive is my favorite canned foam. We have also Nivea and some other brands available.

Barbasol seems to mostly be an American brand.

Originally, it was a brushless cream created over a century ago (Barbasol stands for "Barber's Solution"). The company was also the first to create aeresol foam cans in the late 40's.

Top Bottom