What's new

Barbasol Lovers Thread

Which Barbasol shaving cream do you use?

• Original

Votes: 102 54.0%
  • Arctic Chill

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Skin Conditioner

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • Soothing Aloe

Votes: 33 17.5%
  • Sensitive Skin

Votes: 21 11.1%
  • Pacific Rush

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Mountain Blast

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
The Barbasol Sensitive Skin in the tube has been a workhorse for me this month.
1) a number of quick shaves with Schick injectors
2) minimalist travel kit (Schick L and a film canister of the Barbasol in a baggie)
3) shower shave! (my first since child-rearing slowed down and I found time for quality shaves)
4) less messy and more effective than lather for back of neck cleanup

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me the Orange can or the Purple can. I find them both slicker than the original by a ways. Lack of slickness is probably the main issue I have with most canned foams.

I bought a 2 oz can of Sensitive for laughs as my Prep can ran out and my Proraso won't arrive till late May. I used a Rubie for the first time in maybe a year and my aggressive $8 no-name Chinese Razor. Best shave in months! A DFS. Zero irritation and not even a red dot. Applied with the little Yaqi synthetic.

I hate to report this -- and there may be some extenuating circs -- but I'm disappointed in my latest shave with Barbasol. I wanted to do a 1950s-style shave today, so I broke out the '53 Superspeed with a Personna Platinum Chrome blade, and the 100th-anniversary can of Barbasol. I wet my face, rubbed on some face soap, used the hot face towel before I started, and left the foam on my face for three minutes, all as usual.

Perhaps the Personna blade had too many shaves on it, and my beard was at 36 hours, not my usual 48. But the Barbasol left my face feeling sort of dry in between passes and rinses. Two passes on the cheeks and two plus cleanup on the throat did not result in a very close shave. No irritation, though, and a perfectly fine shave. Just not . . . great.

In the past when I've used Barbasol, it's usually been a mix with a shaving cream like TOBS or Trumpers. This was the first time in a very long while that I've used the foam by itself.

I don't understand, why would anyone use this stuff.
I use it off and on, depending on the razor and/or how much of a hurry I am in. I find the trick is to add a few drops of water. I cant prove it, but I think they may have changed the formula just a little in the past few years. The foam seems to be "drier" that it used to. Ill tell you though, when I decide to use my Techmatic (yes I know many hate them, I like it a lot) it simply MUST be done with foam. Shaving soap clogs up the works.

I hate to report this -- and there may be some extenuating circs -- but I'm disappointed in my latest shave with Barbasol. I wanted to do a 1950s-style shave today, so I broke out the '53 Superspeed with a Personna Platinum Chrome blade, and the 100th-anniversary can of Barbasol. I wet my face, rubbed on some face soap, used the hot face towel before I started, and left the foam on my face for three minutes, all as usual.

Perhaps the Personna blade had too many shaves on it, and my beard was at 36 hours, not my usual 48. But the Barbasol left my face feeling sort of dry in between passes and rinses. Two passes on the cheeks and two plus cleanup on the throat did not result in a very close shave. No irritation, though, and a perfectly fine shave. Just not . . . great.

In the past when I've used Barbasol, it's usually been a mix with a shaving cream like TOBS or Trumpers. This was the first time in a very long while that I've used the foam by itself.

I see exactly what 'went wrong' here and I did the same a few times early on: you left the foam on your face for 3 minutes then began to shave over that same lather.

If you simply rinsed most of that foam off then reapplied a fresh layer before shaving I think your results would have been more pleasing. Foam does dry out pretty quickly, it's definitely a 'get the job done' type of product. I too would wet my face real well and slap on a layer of foam that I would leave there for a few minutes to help soften my hair, then I would rinse that off (because it dried out), slap on a fresh layer, and jump into the shave. The hair is already prepped well from letting the foam sit AND your skin will handle the shave because of a fresh layer of wet slick foam.

I see exactly what 'went wrong' here and I did the same a few times early on: you left the foam on your face for 3 minutes then began to shave over that same lather.

If you simply rinsed most of that foam off then reapplied a fresh layer before shaving I think your results would have been more pleasing. Foam does dry out pretty quickly, it's definitely a 'get the job done' type of product. I too would wet my face real well and slap on a layer of foam that I would leave there for a few minutes to help soften my hair, then I would rinse that off (because it dried out), slap on a fresh layer, and jump into the shave. The hair is already prepped well from letting the foam sit AND your skin will handle the shave because of a fresh layer of wet slick foam.
Maybe that's it. The foam did not feel dried when I started to apply the blade, but it may have been.

I don't understand, why would anyone use this stuff.

Harsh, but fair given that you stated your perplexity. I use the brushless, latherless cream that harks back to the original Barbasol product. These days it is branded as ‘Sensitive’ and comes in a hard-to-find plastic tube. If you want a fast, minimalist, throwback shave; check it out. It won’t break the bank.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
But the Barbasol left my face feeling sort of dry in between passes and rinses.
I find better residual slickness from the Purple or Orange. The original is the original and gets a lot of love for that, but IMO, there have been improvements that are put into their other formulations that aren't present in the original. If it came to Gillette Foamy vs Original Barbasol... for me, Foamy all day long!

I find better residual slickness from the Purple or Orange. The original is the original and gets a lot of love for that, but IMO, there have been improvements that are put into their other formulations that aren't present in the original. If it came to Gillette Foamy vs Original Barbasol... for me, Foamy all day long!

I have to agree. If we are talking strictly OG vs OG I would take foamy. Barbasol is cool, I dig their branding and history but foamy is much more slick and much less 'gummy'.

Barbasol is definitely my favorite stuff. I do enjoy my Proraso and Stirling but Barbasol is quicker to me. I am a bit lazy sometimes ha ha. Barbasol gives me a darned good shave. And the price unbeatable!

I just bought a can of Proraso Green. Compared to Barbasol orange slickness is the same. However, for canned foam I prefer PREP as it has only menthol and not the added eucalyptus like Proraso. FYI for preshave I use a hot towel over a thin layer of Proshave for 30-40 secs.

Top Bottom