What's new

Barbasol Lovers Thread

Which Barbasol shaving cream do you use?

• Original

Votes: 102 54.0%
  • Arctic Chill

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Skin Conditioner

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • Soothing Aloe

Votes: 33 17.5%
  • Sensitive Skin

Votes: 21 11.1%
  • Pacific Rush

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Mountain Blast

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Arctic Chill was a good menthol. Foamy Menthol has a stronger menthol effect though.
I have not tried Gillette Foamy Menthol. I don't think I have seen it. I have been looking for Foamy Lime but have not seen that either. I love Gillette Pure Gel. Very good stuff.

The best way to get me to buy something is to tell me it's discontinued.

My local drug store still had some 10oz cans so I picked up Moisturizing (purple) and Sensitive (orange). For some reason, the 10oz size is the right size to me. Does it really matter? No, the same stuff is in the smaller cans I'm sure..

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have Barbasol Pacific Rush, Yellow Skin conditioner, and Original as well as Noxema in the red can and Gillette Barbershop fresh.

They all work well. I scored the Yellow can Barbasol at a mom and pop grocery store. Bought 4 cans a month ago and left a couple on the shelf. Still lots of 10 ounce cans in Minnesota to be had at small stores, chain stores and everything in between. The yellows, though are hard to come by.

I use soaps and creams too, but if I'm in a hurry I always use the canned stuff. BUT, I don't think it's inferior to other soaps or creams as some do. As many happy foam users in this thread have figured out, you need to have a little water with it to get the slickness. You can't put it on a dry face until you look like santa and expect a great shave.

There is a reason the canned stuff caught on - IT SIMPLY WORKS without much fuss. And it's cheap.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For best can results, also place can in hot hot water during your shower, then shake well before use.. mmmmmm.

I've heard that, though it's HIGHLY contrary to the instructions on the label. Warm lather might be nice in the winter, but otherwise, I don't care. Never saw the use for a scuttle either, too much fussing about for me.

I've heard that, though it's HIGHLY contrary to the instructions on the label. Warm lather might be nice in the winter, but otherwise, I don't care. Never saw the use for a scuttle either, too much fussing about for me.

It's not hot enough to cause any issues other than a little more oomph out of the spout. I think it loosens up the lather a little bit as well.

I have not tried Gillette Foamy Menthol. I don't think I have seen it. I have been looking for Foamy Lime but have not seen that either. I love Gillette Pure Gel. Very good stuff.
You can order Foamy Menthol on line and pick it up at Walgreen's for $2.99. It's a bargain. IMO beats Barbasol by far.

For best can results, also place can in hot hot water during your shower, then shake well before use.. mmmmmm.
Long ago in the deep dark past of my youth, I bought a Conair shaving lather heater. One just pops the top off a standard shaving cream can and it snaps right on. Takes about 30 seconds to warm up and you get nice hot lather. I know what you mean about great in the cold weather. BUT!!! mentholated shaving cream sucks LOL. I got kind of lucky, I bought out all of the 100th anniversary cans of Barbasol. I scored 15 cans at .99 each on sale. They were clearing out the stock so that they could bring in the newer smaller cans. I now have enough foam to last me for quite awhile! I will say, I DO notice a difference in this foam to the standard foam when heated. It does not seem to thin out quite as much.

There are only two canned foams I will happily use: Proraso and Barbasol Original. Both of those give me excellent shaves and are the only canned foams I will use with a DE (tried Edge paired up with my Tech and a Feather blade once; didn't work out so well). Barbasol? Not a problem, worked fine. I buy a can every now and then to help encourage them to keep making it.

I know Foamy is equally classic, but I just don't love it like I do Barbasol. I use it occasionally while traveling if I forget to plan ahead and get a shave stick or travel-sized Barbasol. It works, but doesn't agree with my skin as much as Barbasol does.

There are only two canned foams I will happily use: Proraso and Barbasol Original. Both of those give me excellent shaves and are the only canned foams I will use with a DE (tried Edge paired up with my Tech and a Feather blade once; didn't work out so well). Barbasol? Not a problem, worked fine. I buy a can every now and then to help encourage them to keep making it.

I know Foamy is equally classic, but I just don't love it like I do Barbasol. I use it occasionally while traveling if I forget to plan ahead and get a shave stick or travel-sized Barbasol. It works, but doesn't agree with my skin as much as Barbasol does.
I've seen the Proraso canned stuff on the shelves on the local drugstore, I gotta check that stuff out!

Top Bottom