What's new

Barbasol Lovers Thread

Which Barbasol shaving cream do you use?

• Original

Votes: 102 54.0%
  • Arctic Chill

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Skin Conditioner

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • Soothing Aloe

Votes: 33 17.5%
  • Sensitive Skin

Votes: 21 11.1%
  • Pacific Rush

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Mountain Blast

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Also if anyone is curious the ingredients list changed as far as amounts of each (based on order of listing) if the order means percentage of each ingredients anymore:

Left in new purple right is 2015 purple:

View attachment 1168795

If anything it's better but I don't know what the stearyl ether thing is that's new
Can anyone make sense of the differences in these two lists besides order. Mostly what's not in old and what is in new that weren't in both.
Thanks!!View attachment 1168795
Purple is one of my favorites of canned foam. I would say the big improvement on the newer version (left) is that the Vitamin E and Aloe, Lanoline, Irish Moss and Chamomile are now present in larger amounts.

Used the Barbasol Original today over a little Trumper's Almond cream, no brush; applied the foam, waited 2 minutes, rinsed it off and re-applied before wielding my champagne gold postwar Tech. A quick shave, and while I'm not planed off the way I am with 3 passes on a 2-day beard, I'm clean and refreshed.

Never used Barbasol before but yesterday I found one small can in the local drugstore and decided to give it a shot as pre-shave.

Changed my oil mix for Barbasol Soothing Aloe, Cold splash of water (didn't dry my face) then applied a layer of Barbasol with my hand and massage my face a little with my fingers, waited 1-2 minutes to "absorb" and then applied Arko that I lathered during the wait in my bowl. For the second pass I applied a thinner layer of Barbasol with my fingers and then another layer of Arko with my brush.

Great Shave! , very smooth and comfortable. Much better than oil, hot towel or other pre-shaves that I have tried (cheap ones like creams and oils) and the cheapest hahaha.

- Noob friendly
- Soap/lather dried slower
- Blade glides like a ballerina
- Post shave feel improved
- Mild scent

IMG_20201208_071957.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Never used Barbasol before but yesterday I found one small can in the local drugstore and decided to give it a shot as pre-shave.

Changed my oil mix for Barbasol Soothing Aloe, Cold splash of water (didn't dry my face) then applied a layer of Barbasol with my hand and massage my face a little with my fingers, waited 1-2 minutes to "absorb" and then applied Arko that I lathered during the wait in my bowl. For the second pass I applied a thinner layer of Barbasol with my fingers and then another layer of Arko with my brush.

Great Shave! , very smooth and comfortable. Much better than oil, hot towel or other pre-shaves that I have tried (cheap ones like creams and oils) and the cheapest hahaha.

- Noob friendly
- Soap/lather dried slower
- Blade glides like a ballerina
- Post shave feel improved
- Mild scent

View attachment 1192355
I am not at all surprised this was superior to oil. I really don't understand pre-shave oil with soap.

Barbasol Sensitive tubed cream beats...
no surprise, Jack Black Beard Lube (sample).

I have been trying to find a use for the last of my JBBL sample. Today I put it up side-by-side against some Barbasol Sensitive cream that I squeezed out of the tube into a plastic film canister for my travel kit. It has been in traveling in the kit for well over a year, maybe two.

Razor: Schick E v5 injector
Blade: vintage Gillette Platinum-Plus
After: Captain's Choice Land Ho!
3637CFE3-7598-4572-BF41-BC2DD0BEE94F.jpeg
With the injector, I finally got a reasonably comfortable JBBL shave. Somehow, I could not get as close with JBBL as I did with the Barbasol. I gave the JBBL side a final Barbasol clean up pass to get to DFS.

I was a hard-core Williams user for 2 years. Some days it worked most days it didn't. It would dry out on my neck and around my mouth. Using a fatip gentile I would get cuts and irritation 7/10 times. I am now using Feather Popular with Barbasol can and applying it with a dry boar brush. Sounds crazy I know but I want readily available low cost and Barbasol meets that criteria.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I was a hard-core Williams user for 2 years. Some days it worked most days it didn't. It would dry out on my neck and around my mouth. Using a fatip gentile I would get cuts and irritation 7/10 times. I am now using Feather Popular with Barbasol can and applying it with a dry boar brush. Sounds crazy I know but I want readily available low cost and Barbasol meets that criteria.
In my experience, Barbasol works fine with a brush. I add some Barbasol to my lather bowl, and also add a little water to improve it. I haven't done this in a while, but it works in a pinch.

Barbasol 1919 and an AutoStrop with an original vintage, freshly stropped blade. The 1919 brought the glide and protection required.
FF03059C-4939-49F9-9397-0D047F46448C.jpeg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm sure it works fine. Just this morning I used canned Prorasso and some Duke Cannon in a left right face off (pun intended). I liked the canned foam better.

I like Barbasol in the Purple or Orange can best, but original works too.

Used the Original foam today for a quick 2-pass shave on a 24-hour beard. Strangely, I found it somewhat drying -- my skin did not feel as slick when I would rinse off between passes, or at the end.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Barbasol 1919 and an AutoStrop with an original vintage, freshly stropped blade. The 1919 brought the glide and protection required.
View attachment 1198907
That photo make me wonder what the penalty was for the crime of selling the strop seperatly. Was it worse than taking a tag off a mattress or worse than a banks "substantial penalty for early withdrawl"?

That photo make me wonder what the penalty was for the crime of selling the strop seperatly. Was it worse than taking a tag off a mattress or worse than a banks "substantial penalty for early withdrawl"?

Not exactly fine print, was it! The penalty must have been either the death by a thousand cuts or running a gauntlet of Gaisman goons swinging legally 'sold together' strops.

I used the purple as a preshave (thin layer with HOT towel for 60 secs) and it worked as well as Prep preshave. With my trusty Weishi and med prep blade the shave was a 10.

I'm sure it works fine. Just this morning I used canned Prorasso and some Duke Cannon in a left right face off (pun intended). I liked the canned foam better.

I like Barbasol in the Purple or Orange can best, but original works too.
I used the purple today too after giving Lucky Tiger to a friend. Excellent shave and used it as a preshave with hot towel too.

shaved with barbasol 1919 a couple times this week!
super slick! think of shaving with Crisco!
got very nice shaves each time.
downsides...not as moisturizing as soap-based cream or puck.
the cream is hard to rinse.

barbasol 1919 red imp aqua velva ice blue january 14 2021.jpg

Barbasol still makes a brushless cream in the US, though it is marketed for sensitive skin. It's very good, and closely follows the original formula.

Got a free sample of shave oil, Jack Black cream and Proraso AS balm. I put the oil on and thought no way I'm using this alone. Then the Jack Black which real stuck to my face like glue and clogged the razor. Then rubbed all of it off and switched back to Barbasol purple. Even the Proraso balm had an odd smell. For $1.59 it really works, doesn't clog and washes off.

Did a third shave with Barbasol classic brushless shave cream today, in a face-off with vintage Noxzema lathering cream.
Barbasol again did ok, but overall the lathering cream was a closer, more comfortable shave!

noxzema barbasol merkur myrsol plastic january 27 2021p.jpg

Barbasol 100-year foam today on a 36-hour beard, employing the '53 Super Speed and a Feather blade with 2-3 shaves on it. Good result -- though I am not sure why people say using canned foam saves time. I have to spread it on, make my first pass, rinse, and then re-apply for each pass, which involves getting enough foam on my hand to cover all my shaveable face and throat areas, sometimes having to go back to the can for more, etc. In contrast, my brushes, once loaded with soap or cream, are generally still loaded and ready for each pass.

Top Bottom