What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

This evenings shave
Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Soap: Signature Aoaps Hibernian
Razor: Rockwell 6C (5)
Blade: Treet Platinum
Brush: FS Silvertip Badger
Post-Shave: Alum Block
Nivea 2 Phase ASL
Nivea Protect & Care ASB
Ach Brito Bergamotto Cologne

First post vacation shave and I enjoyed it. Did have to go back to the puck, which is not normally the case. Did get a BBS finish though which is not to be sniffed at. Now going to relax with a glass or two of Amarone and kick back and wait for the Match Of The Day

Stay safe people 😎😎😎😎

Thanks for that Ben, you in? I like the idea... its good I have a bit of time to think it over.
I'm in if you're in. :cool: I have all the shaving gear needed to get me through next year.

I have my eye on just one more razor, but hopefully it will come up for auction in October so I can scratch that itch and donate to charity at the same time. If it doesn't, I'll just bid on something else I don't need and purchase the base plate from the vendor in November.

I've been monitoring the BST forum just in case someone has one to trade, but no luck so far. I considered starting a WTT thread, but there's no rush and the charity auction is still my preferred option anyway.

But as for the year-long sabbatical, yeah I plan to participate. Until then, GRUME it is...

Last edited:
Still in!
Korat 14 2.0
MdC Agrumes
TNG boar with spalted magnolia handle.

I don’t have a #1 brush or soap, though these two are up there. But I do have a favorite razor and the Korat 14 2.0 is it. I only grab it when I know I will have time for a full 3 passes. DFS today.
8590E5D0-B4F8-4752-AB82-DFA83DE1DE61.jpeg

Date:27.08.2022 Anniversary Saturday
Focused participations:27/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
238/239 in 365 days of shaving (99.58%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Gillette Flat Bottom New
Blade:Personna Platinum Israeli (3)
Brush:De Vergulde Hand Synthetic Badger
Soap:TGS Orange Empire
Bowl:Face lather
Preshave:Cold splash
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant
ATG (S-N) | Slightly Gillette Slant

Cheeks only
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (Weeper on the chin)
Comfort:7/10 (Easy going)
Effectiveness:8/10 (BBS-)
Notes:
The DVH lathered up immediately and has nice splay to it too. Nice brush.

After thorough cleaning and sanetising the new addition to the collection I just had to shave with it. And although my skin was still a bit soar from this morning’s shave I found it to be quite wonderful. The Personna felt slightly rough - but I must admit I had not attended much to my usual preshave routine.

The combo was very effective with a nice BBSish result to show for it. Left my neck largely untouched to recoup from the Razorine/Shark treatment.

This first run was great - slightly more blade feel than the Flat Bottom Tech, and still a great shave.

For further notes see here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11905272

I just finished a puck of Mike’s soap, I still have an unopened one. Before I dip into that, I decided to try the pungent smelling and brown lather soap that a friend discarded on me. I tried this afternoon, I can tolerate it. I will probably not use it all up, instead save it as a backup between soap orders. Besides, it makes a good room deodorizer (funny how a concentrated questionable odor is not that odious when diffused in a large space!) I haven’t decided yet whether or not I will restock my soap on September 1. Mike’s is fairly hit and miss.
Meanwhile, back at the sink, shave #80 on my Feather Blade with my Tech and Barrister & Mann’s Adagio. A DFS!
Oops, that post should have appeared here, not in the September GRUME.

Date:28.08.2022 Smooth Sundays
Focused participations:28/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
239/240 in 365 days of shaving (99.58%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Gillette Flat Bottom New
Blade:Personna Platinum Israeli (4)
Brush:De Vergulde Hand Synthetic Badger
Soap:The AlphaMen 2.0
Bowl:Face lather
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant and an occasional Gillette Slide
XTG (W-E) | Sideways Gillette Slant
ATG (S-N) | Slightly Gillette Slant
Efficiency:8/10 (20 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (One or two weepers)
Comfort:9/10 (Very smooth)
Effectiveness:8/10 (BBS-)

A second run with the Gillette Flat Bottom New. Again used a Personna which felt ok, but I am not sure if it has the same longevity I get from my other blades. Jury is out - this was the second time in a row I had some weepers from this blade.

Here’s today’s setup with my new De Vergulde Hand synthetic badger (I think it is badger they aimed at, but the packaging didn’t say):

D130EBBE-683B-46F0-B267-4A1203413DEC.jpeg

I'm in if you're in. :cool: I have all the shaving gear needed to get me through next year.

I have my eye on just one more razor, but hopefully it will come up for auction in October so I can scratch that itch and donate to charity at the same time. If it doesn't, I'll just bid on something else I don't need and purchase the base plate from the vendor in November.

I've been monitoring the BST forum just in case someone has one to trade, but no luck so far. I considered starting a WTT thread, but there's no rush and the charity auction is still my preferred option anyway.

But as for the year-long sabbatical, yeah I plan to participate. Until then, GRUME it is...
Reading your thoughts I might be inclined to join you - but absolutely no purchases? Oy.

Reading your thoughts I might be inclined to join you - but absolutely no purchases? Oy.
You're allowed to declare one "exception" if there's something you feel might be the reason you drop out during the year.

Go ahead and give it a try. You won't know how it feels until you try it for yourself. Who knows, you might even enjoy the experience.

linty1

My wallet cries.

Well if thats the case then:

47FAC667-E6B0-4335-BFCB-17C01BEB12FA.jpeg

I also have a few things I want (Tartara razor and a beehive brush) but those are more long term/opportunity sorta things... which.. I guess makes it diff for a year long grume as they could pop up anytime but I'm in.

Still in, no shave today.

Still in (but wavering)
Wade & Butcher
Chicago Grooming Co Shiloh
Maggard boar

So not sure whether it is the brush, the soap or the technique, but lather was sub-par compared to last week’s combo. Will try to dial it in in coming days as I have had good results from the individual pieces in the past.
View attachment 1512981
Don't quit on us now. There are only 3 days shaves remaining for the month.
Hang in there! Finish strong! You can do it! :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom