What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

And welcome to Enablers, Inc - you join we enable. Because we care. :cuppa:

Oh and +1 on the joining and spending. I was perfectly fine before joining - now….well GRUME is as close to the shaving equivalent of AA as you can get!

Guido
Crap! I just mentioned in the shaving brush acquisition thread about the Semogue SOC Taj boar brush and the Connaught Omega Jade brush I've ordered the last couple days. After decades of pretty much silvertip only (with one mixed boar/badger), I'm loving an old Omega boar brush that came with a tub of Omega soap, and the Proraso Pro I threw into an order to qualify for free shipping (at least that order was mostly software).

I'm really hoping I can get my doctor to write a letter to Medicare explaining why these should all be covered as medical devices...

Even I'm getting concerned now! ;)

Date:29.08.2022 Smooth Sundays
Focused participations:29/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
240/241 in 365 days of shaving (99.58%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Gillette Flat Bottom New
Blade:Tiger Platinum (1)
Brush:De Vergulde Hand Synthetic Badger
Soap:Haslinger Sandelholz
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Face lather
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Floïd’s (A/S)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant and an occasional Gillette Slide
XTG (W-E) | Sideways Gillette Slant
ATG (S-N) | Slightly Gillette Slant
Efficiency:8/10 (20 minutes)
Quality:10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
Comfort:7/10 (Neutral -)
Effectiveness:8/10 (BBS-)

Link to the notes of today's shave: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11906959

I want to start head shaving myself. Any tips ?

Thanks for asking :)

It's not much different from a regular shave.
Usually I bowl-lather and use a bigger brush when shaving my head, but not always.
You'll learn to listen and go by feel when shaving the parts you can't see.

Other than that it's like a normal shave, same soap, same razors and blades.
Sometimes I use a cart, (Sensor Excel) for a final touch-up against the grain on the back of my head.
But most of the time that's not needed.

Still out, looking forward to SEptember to get back in! Happy shaves!
ADB0D1A4-AA5D-4BD9-A5DB-826845A215E6.jpeg

Date:29.08.2022
Focused participations:29/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
241/241 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Mühle R41
Blade:Gillette 365 (8)
Brush:De Vergulde Hand Synthetic Badger
Soap:Haslinger Sandelholz
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Face lather
Preshave:Cold splash
Postshave:Nivea (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant and an occasional Gillette Slide
XTG (W-E) | Sideways Gillette Slant
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
Comfort:8/10 (Smooth)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

As I need to be on the office quite early, I decided to do an evening shave. And to make sure I am at least at SAS and possibly better levels I took out the R41. Two passes with jaw touch up and BBS was achieved.

Smooth and comfortable. The Gillette 365 still performed really well. If this first blade is indicative, I am really liking it a lot!

I’m out! 😭
I prefer to think of this as a GRUME where I was successful for 4 weeks.
There was a dual-hone on eBay, very rare type, not even sure I would ever use for a razor, but it is all wrapped up in the whole acquisition stuff so I will count it As a fail.

Today’s shave
Hard Solfen
Shiloh
Boar brush

the soap/brush combo did a little better than yesterday. This is a somewhat floppy brush, and keeps the soap a little damp, so I may try the same soap with a synth later in the week.

Best wishes that others may finish the entire month!
70C94977-6327-4865-A7B3-940CA74484C6.jpeg

Something old and something new today.
The Old. I broke out my Mike’s Barbershop Soap. It’s the first soap I used when I returned to traditional wet shaving in early 2020. Due to Mike’s rotating stock it seemed like I always missed it when I needed to resupply, at least until this May. As I begin whipping up and brushing on the lather the odor brought a wave of nostalgia. Memories of relearning to use a DE, and reflections on my journey since then. It’s been a wild and wonderful time, and there’s been a little blood!
The New. I shaved with my Gem 1912, and there was no blood. It was a nice close shave, and I liked it 😛. I am actually now looking forward to my next Micromatic Monday, and may even use my Gems more often. Read about it here:
I’ve had a love-hate relationship with Micromatic Monday ever since I hamburgered my face on my initial foray several weeks ago. I always enter it (unless I don’t) with a little apprehension. After today I will probably use my Gems a little more often, it was one of my best shaves ever! My Gem Junior (1912) performed flawlessly with a Persona Gem PTFE blade (2). I credit a lot of it to the spine shim, thanks again @Ron R! A 98% BBS!

I’m out! 😭
I prefer to think of this as a GRUME where I was successful for 4 weeks.
There was a dual-hone on eBay, very rare type, not even sure I would ever use for a razor, but it is all wrapped up in the whole acquisition stuff so I will count it As a fail.
It's interesting how there seem to be trends in what gets discussed and/or what knocks people out. This seems to be the time of the blade honers.

It sounds like you found a deal on something that will support your happiness. I hope it's everything you expect it to be and look forward to seeing the pics. I hope you'll join again in September (which is almost here!).

That said, I'm certainly interested to see this rare blade honer. Please pop back into the thread to share some pics when you get it! And I support your choice to view this as a four-week success. Just keep stringing those together!

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTM, Arko August
2) @Markdad2
3) Balin - out (8/15: Arko, and...?) - Arko August (maybe)
4) @bjm
5) @markmc
6) @Multum in parvo - Arko August
7) @iver
8) @hopper_64
9) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) @ChriWilson - SOTM
11) @sandorfi SOTM
12) @elmerphud
13) JAHE - out (8/13: Dart) - All Aventus August
14) sarir97 - out (8/7: RV badger brush)
15) @La Malice - Arko August
16) @BobbyB
17) @SharpieB
18) @Stuart Ganis
19) @Roedeer
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback
21) Virtus3 - out (8/7: RR Lupo .95 OC and Timeless Ti handle)
22) @Doti B
23) @cryhavoc - Arko August
24) Guido75 - out (8/21: ENRFB)
25) @Dodger59
26) @LJBraaten
27) @linty1
28) 2bit_collie - out (8/29: Blade honer)
29) @Jack Goossen
30) @FL shaver

It's interesting how there seem to be trends in what gets discussed and/or what knocks people out. This seems to be the time of the blade honers.

It sounds like you found a deal on something that will support your happiness. I hope it's everything you expect it to be and look forward to seeing the pics. I hope you'll join again in September (which is almost here!).

That said, I'm certainly interested to see this rare blade honer. Please pop back into the thread to share some pics when you get it! And I support your choice to view this as a four-week success. Just keep stringing those together!

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTM, Arko August
2) @Markdad2
3) Balin - out (8/15: Arko, and...?) - Arko August (maybe)
4) @bjm
5) @markmc
6) @Multum in parvo - Arko August
7) @iver
8) @hopper_64
9) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) @ChriWilson - SOTM
11) @sandorfi SOTM
12) @elmerphud
13) JAHE - out (8/13: Dart) - All Aventus August
14) sarir97 - out (8/7: RV badger brush)
15) @La Malice - Arko August
16) @BobbyB
17) @SharpieB
18) @Stuart Ganis
19) @Roedeer
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback
21) Virtus3 - out (8/7: RR Lupo .95 OC and Timeless Ti handle)
22) @Doti B
23) @cryhavoc - Arko August
24) Guido75 - out (8/21: ENRFB)
25) @Dodger59
26) @LJBraaten
27) @linty1
28) 2bit_collie - out (8/29: Blade honer)
29) @Jack Goossen
30) @FL shaver
I am still in. I have been craving a new purchase but have appeased it by using a different razor. Working on using up what I have, which is very nice. I have some Tabac Tallow version Soap that I would like to offload however. One puck new in the box, and about 6 ounces that I milled into a plastic Sterling tub. If anyone wants it, please reach out!

So the particular stone is a Scottish Dual-Hone - Dalmore Blue on one side, Tam O Shanter on the other. Relatively rare, but a theoretically good combo as the Dalmore should be around 1200 grit and the Tam O Shanter should be around 4-5k. Dalmore Blues come with two patterns - either solid colored like this one or with beautiful swirls. Pics are the seller’s I got notice that it shipped today with arrival time between mid-September and mid-October!
CFA83F26-0CBE-4B4C-A455-26FA35B7790C.png
4E45E77B-45F7-4AED-875A-0AFDA470735E.png

And yes, I am currently trying to figure out how to make sure that I am set to rejoin in September. :)

Day 29, 93.5% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Wizamet SI #6
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Didn't need to get a BBS, but I had plenty of time, so thought "why not?"

I'm thinking of trying a single shim (approx +0.1mm) in this razor, since it's very well-behaved at its standard setting.

Top Bottom