What's new

August 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

I've been experimenting with 2 newish razors I got in July, a Ralf Aust 5/8 and Thiers-Issard 6/8. Thankfully I've been too distracted with work and playing around with those two razors to consider more buying stuff.

I adding some "fine" chromium oxide into my main hanging strop (inside of cloth) as part of honing routine and edge upkeep, and have now used once on the blades. It made a big difference to refresh the edges that were starting to feel a bit dull. I'm curious to see how long the Chromox enhanced edges last and where I'll fit this into the scheme of honing on stones as well. Lots of trial and error and experimentation required to find the best way, just the way a good hobby should be :thumbup:

Still in.

Trader Joe’s Honey Mango Cream
Feather Popular
Vidyut Super Max (1)
Lather & Wood Sandalwood balm

threw this combo together for a last minute trip to FL. Not my favorite or best shave ever. Still, it’s good to get away from work for a long weekend.

Planning 2-3 days off of shaving too.

Seeking opinions on getting the 0.84 baseplate for my GC. From what I’ve read I can expect similar comfort and ease with an uptick in efficiency. I’d take that as an option for shaves after 2-3 days of growth.

Peace to all.

Still in

Razor: Pearl Flexi
Blade: Schick Ultra (4)
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo 24mm
Soap: Cella
Aftershave: Razorock American Barber

IMG-3257.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in. It's ARKO SHARKO eight days a week. I think I am going to skip the September GRUME. The Pre de Provence No 63 soap and the posh Penhaligon's Sartorial EDT have been speaking to me for some time now, and I think I'll enjoy using them as the days grow cooler. The test will be to make those specific purchases and then resume a sensible and responsible self restraint.

Still in
Tonight’s shave
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Blade: Wizamet Polsilver SI (4)
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Soap: D R Harris Windsor
Post-Shave: Alum Block
D R Harris Windsor AS Splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB
T&H Apsley Cologne

Everything came together tonight for an exquisite shave. Forgot how good the DRH Windsor soap is. Nice thick creamy lather which resulted in no nicks or weepers and a 3 pass BBS shave. Minimal touch ups required.
SWMBO commented on how nice I smelled. Now that’s made my evening 😎😎😎😎😎
Have a good weekend all

I'm out
Sending my 2nd gen aristocrat away for plating.
I'm assuming that the Aristocrat is a "forever" razor; if so, that makes perfect sense. As usual, please feel free to continue to play along from home and keep posting (if you wish). We'll hope to see you next month, and definitely post before and after pics!

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - Arko August
2) Sinnbad11 - out (8/27: Aristocrat replate)
3) @SharpieB
4) @JKar
5) @Roedeer - Arko August
6) @hopper_64
7) @Doti B
8) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE - Arko August
9) Mike M - out (8/13: Simpson Trafalgar T3)
10) linty1 - out (8/22: BS brush)
11) @Dodger59
12) @12stones
13) @wmadoty - GRUYERE - ShArko August
14) @henrickd - GRUYERE
15) Herrenberg - out (8/7: Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori)
16) @RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB, Arko August
17) @‘Bout Time
18) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE, QUADSAB
19) @Timeclo
20) @pdieten - GRUYERE. Arko August
21) sarir97 - out (8/5: Tabac)
22) @Stuart Ganis
23) @mattps1
24) @Owen Bawn - Arko Sharko Whole Hog
25) @sandorfi
26) @FL shaver
27) @La Malice
28) @BobbyB
29) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Arko August

The September thread is up:

Day 27, 87.1% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #5
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid, Brut AS.

Felt alert enough for a thorough shave, so took my time, threw in some extra XTG, and chased up the missed bits. BBS face, and probably the best neck result so far. 10 out of 10.

Seeking opinions on getting the 0.84 baseplate for my GC. From what I’ve read I can expect similar comfort and ease with an uptick in efficiency. I’d take that as an option for shaves after 2-3 days of growth.
That's a good summary of what to expect. Given IB's intermittent availability of items, there should be a healthy aftermarket in GC baseplates, if you don't like it.

It's usable for daily shaving, and who knows, you might even find it displaces your .68. I thought it had slightly more horsepower than I needed for that, and went back to the more easygoing .68.

I'm assuming that the Aristocrat is a "forever" razor; if so, that makes perfect sense. As usual, please feel free to continue to play along from home and keep posting (if you wish). We'll hope to see you next month, and definitely post before and after pics!

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - Arko August
2) Sinnbad11 - out (8/27: Aristocrat replate)
3) @SharpieB
4) @JKar
5) @Roedeer - Arko August
6) @hopper_64
7) @Doti B
8) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE - Arko August
9) Mike M - out (8/13: Simpson Trafalgar T3)
10) linty1 - out (8/22: BS brush)
11) @Dodger59
12) @12stones
13) @wmadoty - GRUYERE - ShArko August
14) @henrickd - GRUYERE
15) Herrenberg - out (8/7: Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori)
16) @RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB, Arko August
17) @‘Bout Time
18) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE, QUADSAB
19) @Timeclo
20) @pdieten - GRUYERE. Arko August
21) sarir97 - out (8/5: Tabac)
22) @Stuart Ganis
23) @mattps1
24) @Owen Bawn - Arko Sharko Whole Hog
25) @sandorfi
26) @FL shaver
27) @La Malice
28) @BobbyB
29) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Arko August
It is in fact a forever razor, one that had a tough life prior to my purchasing it. It has a good door ding and one side of the safety bar is bent. I sent pics to Chris at back roads told and he assured me I would repair nicely. So, I am having a tune up and palladium plating done by him I'll be certain to share a pic of it when it returns to me.

Chris's turn around is very quick right now, I may have it back by the middle of next week.

Still in.

I'm enjoying the Arko full Feral with a side of Sharko August and for the first time I'm seeing some progress in the soap usage.

Boar brush break-in has sped up, visible improvement and difference in face feel is observed.

I was going to sell off another boat brush but thanks to this month my opinions have changed and I'll be keeping them all.

Still in.

Trader Joe’s Honey Mango Cream
Feather Popular
Vidyut Super Max (1)
Lather & Wood Sandalwood balm

Peace to all.

I have Game Changer 84 Open Comb and have used it for daily 3 pass shaves for 47 days earlier this year. I never suffered any irritation from it and it worked especially well for my neck area.

It is one of the smoothest razor in my rotation and it's shave quality definitely changes with the blades.

Eg my Lupo 95 will show negligible difference in shave quality with different blades but Game Changer 84 Open Comb will provide phenomenal shave with Feather blade and on the other side if I use a Shark Super Chrome or Gillette 7 O'clock Black blades the shave will become very smooth without the extra closeness.

Get the Open Comb plate as it is more balanced among the three plates in Game Changer 84.
If you plan on shaving in 2-3 days then getting the Open Comb seems more plausible option.

I was suggested to get a razor which I'd have to learn to control the efficiency as with time we improve in skills and then the 'Safe' choices and mild razors may feel bland.

I took the advice and I'm very happy with the Game Changer 84 Open Comb.

My understanding is :

A reasonably high efficiency with some blade feel = less number of passes and hence close shave with less chance of irritation.

Top Bottom