What's new

ATT SE2...A Contender Emerges from the fire...

Excellent! The General is quite mild. It’s great when I’m in a hurry and need to get a close shave with no nicks or cuts as fast as I can but takes some buffing.

I had the aluminum General and it was sold in favor of the El Jefe, which is more efficient and very smooth. The SE2 takes it up a notch or two or three or four...

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Just had my first shave with the SE2. Great shave! While not quite as gentle as a straight, it was a very smooth affair. Used a Proline. Took a couple moments to begin getting a feel for the angle the razor likes but it didn’t take long. BBS in 2 passes with only one spot of blood from a prior nick reopening. No irritation at all. Definitely felt the blade. I think “straight razor on a stick” somewhat applies to this one and I love it!

Just had my first shave with the SE2. Great shave! While not quite as gentle as a straight, it was a very smooth affair. Used a Proline. Took a couple moments to begin getting a feel for the angle the razor likes but it didn’t take long. BBS in 2 passes with only one spot of blood from a prior nick reopening. No irritation at all. Definitely felt the blade. I think “straight razor on a stick” somewhat applies to this one and I love it!

Awesome! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't call the SE2 a str8 razor on a stick, that title is reserved for the Asylum RX.

The SE2 is about as efficient as it gets while being smooth and on the safe side, IMHO! The SE2 does take a little focusing, but it's not much.

The Asylum RX crosses that line and is not for me.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Awesome! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't call the SE2 a str8 razor on a stick, that title is reserved for the Asylum RX.

The SE2 is about as efficient as it gets while being smooth and on the safe side, IMHO! The SE2 does take a little focusing, but it's not much.

The Asylum RX crosses that line and is not for me.

That makes sense. This is about as efficient a safety razor I have used for sure either way, I’m quite happy with it.

14 hours later and I'm still BBS...

proxy.php

Shave 11 on the blade was a struggle to BBS my trouble spots, but I got there. Started to feel stubble after about 12 hours today...

BTW are they both the same SE 2 baseplates or is one an older version and if so what is the difference between the old and new?

They are different ever so slightly. One has the comb cut shallow.

Haven't really tested them against each other yet.

If you have some skill, the SE2 is a walk in the park. Definitely a big boy razor, with the Schick Proline of course! I have some Kai mild blades around here somewhere, I may throw one in the SE2 for fun, gave all the Feather blades away.

They are different ever so slightly. One has the comb cut shallow.

Haven't really tested them against each other yet.

If you have some skill, the SE2 is a walk in the park. Definitely a big boy razor, with the Schick Proline of course! I have some Kai mild blades around here somewhere, I may throw one in the SE2 for fun, gave all the Feather blades away.
Yes please do a shave comparison with whatever blade you choose to use but I'd like to hear your impression of both SE 2 baseplates using the same brand of blade.

Also I'll add to this post by saying I'm with you on Feathers I'm just not a big fan anymore whether it's an AC or Injector blade and to be honest even in DE's there are others I now prefer. Funny ask me that like 3 yrs ago and it would have been Feather all the way with DE shaving as I hadn't ever used a AC or Injector at that point.

Yes please do a shave comparison with whatever blade you choose to use but I'd like to hear your impression of both SE 2 baseplates using the same brand of blade.

I'll do my best, I only have one cap, I'm considering getting another cap and Atlas handle.

I did not choose the Schick Proline blade as my favorite blade, the Proline chose me. The blade cuts through my coarse stubble with ease, twice as efficient as a Feather Pro or Kai Mild PINK. It takes half the strokes with the Proline that it does with Feather and Kai. Forget about a head shave with Feather or Kai, it simply isn't happening. If I got one head shave out of a Feather or Kai, I was fortunate, and it would take forever. The Schick Proline and GEM SS PTFE, I would easily get 4 very efficient head shaves.

I found the Kai Mild Pink to be a little better than the Feather Pro, and I was willing to live with the Kai Mild Pink. But @SpeedyPC heard my cries, I was "very" vocal about, and told me about the Schick Proline and told me where to get them. The rest is history.

The Schick Proline is the best AC blade there is!

Am I my Brothers equal?

The SE2/Schick Proline seems to be the MMOC/GEM SS PTFE of the AC platform.

I did a side by side with the two today and I give the win to the ATT SE2 because the blade is wider and I like the weight, which is about twice the weight of the MMOC. Other than that, they both win. The GEM SS PTFE had one shave on it and the Schick Proline had 2 shaves on it.

Stroke for stroke, they both seem to reduce stubble with the same level of efficiency. I shaved my left side with the MMOC and the right side with the ATT SE2 and it literally feels like I shaved with either one for the entire shave. Aftershave feel is the same on both sides.

I had to be careful not to use too much pressure with the MMOC switching back and forth with the weight difference.

Today's shave was with two razors, it feels like I only shaved with one razor, take your pick!

Oh...the results was BBS on both sides...duh...

No blood loss, no irritation.

Disclaimer: Not for use with any other blades. Restrictions apply, void where prohibited.

Last edited:
So the two are about as far as efficiency goes? You like the weight and blade width of the SE2 but in shaves they were equals? Interesting as I would have thought the SE2 would be a litte more efficient than the MMOC. So that makes the SE1 less efficient than the MMOC by a bit as you said it's a little less efficient than the SE2. Good post.. :thumbup1:

So the two are about as far as efficiency goes? You like the weight and blade width of the SE2 but in shaves they were equals? Interesting as I would have thought the SE2 would be a litte more efficient than the MMOC. So that makes the SE1 less efficient than the MMOC by a bit as you said it's a little less efficient than the SE2. Good post.. :thumbup1:

After 20 hours I feel stubble on both sides, I feel it more on the MMOC side.

I was really focused on blade feel during the shave and they felt same.

The SE1 will get a high level BBS with a few more strokes.

Yesterday's comparison was with the older SE2. I used the newer SE2 for my entire shave today. The newer one seems to have a little more blade feel. The comb is cut deeper on the newer one, the blade gap is the same on both.

Didn't really need to shave today, but I did.

While the older SE2 is more than enough razor for me, I think the newer one is a little more efficient. Great shave, great results. It doesn't get any better than this.

Yesterday's comparison was with the older SE2. I used the newer SE2 for my entire shave today. The newer one seems to have a little more blade feel. The comb is cut deeper on the newer one, the blade gap is the same on both.

While the older SE2 is more than enough razor for me, I think the newer one is a little more efficient. Great shave, great results. It doesn't get any better than this.

Agreed that it doesn't get better than the current version of the SE2. In my den, the Asylum RX is its equal, but my other AC blade razors don't stand up. I've decided to make the SE2 and RX the only AC blade razors I use, and not to explore any further.

We'll see how long that sentiment lasts...

That's it Anthony I'm convinced that a one two punch with the SE1 and SE2 razor is where I need to be with an AC razor. What really put me over the top is not only your reviews but I shaved with the MR -SE a few days ago for the 3rd time and I'm just not getting the kind of shaves out of it as I'd like. I even tried switching blades on the last shave and same results. I have yet to get a really good DFS let alone a BBS out of it. I know a lot of members like it and an they say an improvement over the El Jefe which was just ok for me as well so I'm getting the SE 1 and 2 baseplate now I've got to figure out which handle I want. I've got some razors with a 3" , 3 1/2 " and 4 " handles and I keep going back and forth on which one I like the best. I've got a new Ikon Bulldog handle which I really like so I'm thinking I'll put the baseplate on there since it's a 3 " and order the Kronos which is 3 1/2 "s and this way I can figure out which I like best and Stan has the 30 day so I can always exchange handles once I get a shave or two in.
Thanks for doing the comparison for me!! really appreciate it!! :thumbup1:

I was real close to buying an Asylum RX, but I got a chance to try it in a passaround.

It provided a great shave, can't argue that. The safety bar on the one I used was useless, it was like shaving with a SEvette, which is not what I want in a safety razor.

The RX has a unique design which forced me to grip the razor further away from the blade then I like, and that grip point didn't have any knurling on it, the knurling started further down.

Efficiency wise, I'd say they're equal. Safety wise goes to the SE2. Overall feel goes to the SE2.

Top Bottom