What's new

Problems with my Supply razor

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
For quite a while I use my SE razors (La Faulx, Yaqi Romulus, Excalibur, Ti Shield) in the AC format as well as a DE (Henson). I also have a Supply razor, the adjustable version, and use Schick blades. Every time I use the Supply (on the lowest, mildest setting) I butcher my face. Lots of cuts and bleeding is going on. I do have very sensible (and thin) skin. This never happens with any of the other razors. Not sure what to do, guess the answer would be getting rid of the razor. Today after a long while I used it again, and the same result - see attached picture.
Any idea what is wrong, either it is me, the blade or the razor??

Attachments

• IMG_3519.jpg
    IMG_3519.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 49
I was a long time supply user. Although I had the 2.0 and the SE. For me, I never felt that schick blades fit the razor correctly. They are too thin. It took me a long time, because I was in denial, to realize the many problrms with Supply razors and blades. Great shaving cream though.

Wow, that's not good at all, Rudy. Sorry to hear that and I hope you heal quickly!

You're an experienced shaver and if you've tried several blades, I'd lean toward it being something to do with the razor. You said you're using the mild plate, when you eyeball it, does it look like a large-ish gap? Perhaps you got a faulty plate? Have you contacted Supply?

I have the SE, which has the plate with fins. You might want to try that. Or perhaps pick up a cheap vintage Schick injector or new Parker adjustable to use with your blades. The injector format is great, I've been shaving with a few for the past month or so.

Take care!

Use a different blade from the same pack. If you already have, try a blade from a different pack. If you already have, try a higher setting. It's counterintuitive, but super mild razors can sometimes increase nicks and irritation because you need to apply more pressure to get the same results.

It's counterintuitive, but super mild razors can sometimes increase nicks and irritation because you need to apply more pressure to get the same results.

+1. I've found that 'mild' shavers like the 34C tend to cause the most irritation for me. Even when using my Progress, the lower settings consistently give me the most discomfort.

Rudy Vey

Use a different blade from the same pack. If you already have, try a blade from a different pack. If you already have, try a higher setting. It's counterintuitive, but super mild razors can sometimes increase nicks and irritation because you need to apply more pressure to get the same results.
I tried their blades that came with the razor and two different packs of Schicks. In all cases the same result. Also tried a higher setting and the same. But, I have some many other SE's (AC based) so this is not a loss in my book.

I tried their blades that came with the razor and two different packs of Schicks. In all cases the same result. Also tried a higher setting and the same. But, I have some many other SE's (AC based) so this is not a loss in my book.
I wanted to love the supply but I just didn’t get a comfortable or even good shave out of mine. I tried all the baseplates and several types of blades. Ymmv but at some point I just cut my losses, sold it and moved on

It's counterintuitive, but super mild razors can sometimes increase nicks and irritation because you need to apply more pressure to get the same results.
+1. I've found that 'mild' shavers like the 34C tend to cause the most irritation for me. Even when using my Progress, the lower settings consistently give me the most discomfort.
+2. The razor most likely to bite me is the RR Teck2, and its Maggard twin with the V2M head. I find the Muhle R41 to be a pussycat by comparison.

@Rudy Vey : You only mention Schick blades, have you tried it with other blades like a Personna, or a Supply Black Label?

Before you sell it, try pushing the blade inside the razor with your fingernail side to side and front to back. I have written ad nauseam about my first one and now it's replacement. I don't use mine much, but I always liked the shaves when it wasn't broken in some way.

Rudy Vey

Before you sell it, try pushing the blade inside the razor with your fingernail side to side and front to back. I have written ad nauseam about my first one and now it's replacement. I don't use mine much, but I always liked the shaves when it wasn't broken in some way.
I have done this already. It does not work for me, and I am happy with my other razors, so no need to use this anymore.

The Supply you have (the adjustable one) was my first injector razor. I bought it a few weeks ago. Love the format but dislike the razor!
I've since delved into the injectors by purchasing the Asylum, Mossei and a vintage Schick L type.
The Supply is my least liked. Matter of fact, I really don't like it. It feels like a cheap mass produced razor.
I've tried the Supply Black label blades, the Chinese Schick's and the Japanese Schick B-20's.
Seems to work best with the factory Supply blades but still gives inconsistent shaves.
Make sure though that when inserting the blade, it doesn't slide across (rubbing) the blade stoppers. You have to be careful to put pressure up and away from the stoppers when inserting, if not it'll trash the blade. That'll definitely give those shave results that you're getting. So I'd try a new blade or stop using it all together.
I actually requested a return/refund from Supply and they offered me a 50% credit if I'd keep it. I figured I'd just do that with the goal of making it work. But so far it hasn't been good!
I've stuck mine in a drawer for now. With so many other great SE razors, it's not worth it!
BTW: in Injector razors, the Asylum is fantastic. A mid-aggressive razor that just works. And the Mossei is also amazing if you want an aggressive injector razor. And the Mossei's build quality is second to none.
A work of art!

I wanted to love the supply but I just didn’t get a comfortable or even good shave out of mine. I tried all the baseplates and several types of blades. Ymmv but at some point I just cut my losses, sold it and moved on
I had the V2 with the 3 shave settings and later got the NickStop plate. Struggled with loading new blades requiring removing the plate. Plus I found that vintage Schick injectors provided better shaves and were easier to use. It's a shame considering I really like the looks of the Supply.

If you like the injector format (and you should) try a Schick injector, an E, G or J. Stay away from the L. With a Chinese Schick (“Chick”) you can’t help but get a great shave.

Top Bottom