What's new

ATT SE2...A Contender Emerges from the fire...

I greatly appreciate all of the information on the ATT SE2. I have been wet shaving for about three years, but just recently got into the single edge Shaving. I currently own the Asylum RX and the brass general. Curreltly I am enjoying the Feather Pro Guard blades in both razors. I also own the Timeless OC .95. enjoy the open comb razors. I have been seriously thinking about the purchasing the SE2 for the benefits of the OC; leather left of skin, slick shave and after shave skin feel.

When I went to the above the tie website I saw the Windsor/copper line of razors. Does anyone know when they will be doing an SE2 in the Windsor line?

Does anyone know when they will be doing an SE2 in the Windsor line?
I have no clue, but if you go to contact us on their site, they are real good with answering questions!

If you get an answer, let us know please!

Last edited:
I
I have no clue, but if you go to contact us on their site, they are real good with answering questions!

If you get an answer, let us know please!

I emailed Stan at Above the tie. This is his response
Screenshot_20171125-190343.jpg

Sooo...upon learning that the Kai Mild guarded blade reduces blade gap, I decided to test it in my SE2 against the SE1/Schick Proline. The SE1/Schick Proline is clearly better! The SE2 and Kai guard blade provided an excellent BBS shave, it took more strokes to achieve though and was smooth enough but not as smooth as the SE1/Schick Proline on my face shave. I was able to shave just as reckless as with the SE1. The SE2/Schick Proline takes more focus and less strokes.

I noticed the difference on my face shave but there is clear separation between the two on my head shave. The SE2/Kai Mild Guard combo was so uncomfortable that I had to abort on my ATG pass and finish with the SE1/Schick Proline. It felt like my head stubble was being ripped out one by one with every stroke ATG.

The SE2 would be perfect if it had a .018" blade gap with the Schick Proline. The Kai Mild guarded blade reduced the blade gap to about that but simply isn't as sharp as the Schick Proline.

The Kai Mild Guard blade cost over a $1 more the the Schick Proline per blade and doesn't perform as good.

Sooo...upon learning that the Kai Mild guarded blade reduces blade gap, I decided to test it in my SE2 against the SE1/Schick Proline. The SE1/Schick Proline is clearly better! The SE2 and Kai guard blade provided an excellent BBS shave, it took more strokes to achieve though and was smooth enough but not as smooth as the SE1/Schick Proline on my face shave. I was able to shave just as reckless as with the SE1. The SE2/Schick Proline takes more focus and less strokes.

I noticed the difference on my face shave but there is clear separation between the two on my head shave. The SE2/Kai Mild Guard combo was so uncomfortable that I had to abort on my ATG pass and finish with the SE1/Schick Proline. It felt like my head stubble was being ripped out one by one with every stroke ATG.

The SE2 would be perfect if it had a .018" blade gap with the Schick Proline. The Kai Mild guarded blade reduced the blade gap to about that but simply isn't as sharp as the Schick Proline.

The Kai Mild Guard blade cost over a $1 more the the Schick Proline per blade and doesn't perform as good.

I disagree on many points but that’s what makes this such a personal experience and the acronym “YMMV” so accurate. I shaved with a fresh Proline today, which I do like, but now I can definitely say (for me) that the Kai Proguard provides a much more comfortable shave. Is the Proline sharper? Possibly. However to me the difference is so negligible and difficult to discern that it doesn’t matter. What matters most to me is smoothness, overall efficiency and lack of irritation, post-shave. The Proline always manages to give a little neck irritation no matter what I do. I can shave recklessly with the Proguard without irritation. Efficiency? I find them equal.

Regarding price? I just scored 10 boxes on eBay for a great price so the price difference is not dramatic at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can definitely say (for me) that the Kai Proguard provides a much more comfortable shave. Is the Proline sharper? Possibly. However to me the difference is so negligible and difficult to discern that it doesn’t matter. What matters most to me is smoothness, overall efficiency and lack of irritation, post-shave. The Proline always manages to give a little neck irritation no matter what I do. I can shave recklessly with the Proguard without irritation. Efficiency? I find them equal.

I have forgotten, and can't find, what razor you're using with the Kai Proguard. I assume an SE2 (latest edition), but is that correct?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I believe he's using a SE1...

Yep. SE1. Need to go back and try the Proguard in the Brass and SS General now[emoji6] My comments are aimed at the blade in general and not the blade/razor combo. The SE2 is the SE1 in all practical instances, other than the fact that it is an OC.

Last edited:
I disagree on many points but that’s what makes this such a personal experience and the acronym “YMMV” so accurate. I shaved with a fresh Proline today, which I do like, but now I can definitely say (for me) that the Kai Proguard provides a much more comfortable shave. Is the Proline sharper? Possibly. However to me the difference is so negligible and difficult to discern that it doesn’t matter. What matters most to me is smoothness, overall efficiency and lack of irritation, post-shave. The Proline always manages to give a little neck irritation no matter what I do. I can shave recklessly with the Proguard without irritation. Efficiency? I find them equal.

Regarding price? I just scored 10 boxes on eBay for a great price so the price difference is not dramatic at all.

The Schick Proline in the SE1 is smooth and comfortable for me, never any irritation.

It doesn't get any better than $.37 per blade for the Schick Proline, I have just over 400 at that price!

I would use the Kai Mild guard blade in the SE2 before I use the unguarded Kai Mild PINK in the SE1. Fortunately, I don't have to use either.

I will continue to stock up on the Proline blades. If Proline disappeared and I had to pick, it would be the guarded Kai in the SE2 for my face shaves. I would have to use the MMOC/GEM SS PTFE combo for my head shaves.

The Schick Proline in the SE1 is smooth and comfortable for me, never any irritation.

It doesn't get any better than $.37 per blade for the Schick Proline, I have just over 400 at that price!

I would use the Kai Mild guard blade in the SE2 before I use the unguarded Kai Mild PINK in the SE1. Fortunately, I don't have to use either.

I will continue to stock up on the Proline blades. If Proline disappeared and I had to pick, it would be the guarded Kai in the SE2 for my face shaves. I would have to use the MMOC/GEM SS PTFE combo for my head shaves.

Not a fan of the unguarded Kai either.

For me in my SS General the Prolines didn’t warrant the hype. They are good for me but not great. I much prefer Kai Mild Pinks in the SSG. :)

I agree I ordered the Kai Pro Guards and put one in the SE2 and took 3 strokes and took it right out and put the Proline in. Didn’t like the face feel and the Proline was clearly a sharper and for me a smoother blade at least in the SE2. I’ll try the Kai in some other Razors and see if I can get better results.

For me in my SS General the Prolines didn’t warrant the hype. They are good for me but not great. I much prefer Kai Mild Pinks in the SSG. :)

My second AC razor was the aluminum General and I settled on the Kai Mild PINK until I was introduced to the Schick Proline. I sold the General in favor of the El Jefe and passed on the brass and SS General and will pass on tomorrow's batch as well.

I agree I ordered the Kai Pro Guards and put one in the SE2 and took 3 strokes and took it right out and put the Proline in. Didn’t like the face feel and the Proline was clearly a sharper and for me a smoother blade at least in the SE2. I’ll try the Kai in some other Razors and see if I can get better results.

I tried the Kai Pro Guard in the SE1, it was worse! I only have 2 of the blades and won't be buying anymore.

Top Bottom