What's new

ATT M1 vs. FEATHER AS-D2 - Six week experiment [pics in next msg]

FWIW: When I tried that, I found the AS-D2 about as effective as dragging a credit card across my face. 4 passes for a CCS. After a week of use and growing concern that I needed to put the *** up for sale, I tried a much shallower angle and started getting very close shaves.

I've been alternating shaves between the Feather and the R41, and I'd say some razors use different angles for their best results. What that angle is may depend on variables such as hair thickness, density (hair/sq inch), coarseness, evenness, etc. Using the AS-D2 at the same angle I used with Techs and iKon Shavecraft and the EJ89 did NOT work well for me.
Put the cap on your face, tilt it only slightly, 30 degrees, you can hear the whiskers being cut. This is the sweet spot.

Put the cap on your face, tilt it only slightly, 30 degrees, you can hear the whiskers being cut. This is the sweet spot.

As I said, tilting 30 deg does NOT work worth squat for me. Maybe 10-15 deg, but NOT 30. 30 deg would be my normal tilt, and it gave me pee-poor shaves with the AS-D2.

Very nice piece of work there. Thanks a lot for your time and effort in trying to differentiate between two of the higher end systems. I, too, have been pondering spending a bit more...seeking that "perfect shave system." I've always thought that Feather's approach of making a mild shaver and the sharpest blades to compensate for that less aggressive angle would equal a comfortable experience and BBS at the same time...at a premium price. But I've also wondered if it could be had for a little more affordable price. I guess that's that evasive golden prize. Your write up gives some great insight to the questions many probably ask. Thanks again!

Great thread -- appreciate the many posts and insights about this razor. I've been in the DE game now for a couple of years and the AS-D2 has been the first game changer for me. As much as I like the whole DE shaving experience (including the brushes, aftershaves, and balms), there is simply a greater risk of nicks and cuts (for me) compared to a throw-away plastic razor, making me wonder on occasion "what's it all about?" The AS-D2 has changed all that since I can shave with confidence and without fear of making an egregious error akin to bloodletting. Of course, since I have some variation of acquisition syndrome I will continue to look for other, equally good razors (ATT, Wolfman?) but am grateful to have found this forum and the AS-D2.

The next question -- should I try a Feather blade instead of my trusted Astra SP's? A little scary, but life is an adventure and I need to start living more dangerously!

I started a couple weeks ago with a Feather Popular razor and Feather blade. The combination is a dream for the first couple shaves. My face was a bit more irritated than the cheap disposables I was using but the blade seemed invisible. Then I tried an Astra blade. A lot of pulling. Need many passes to get a smooth shave. A lot of patches left behind. My face is terribly irritated. I expected better results. If AS-D2 is anything like the popular, you should be real happy with Feather blades.

I don't think anyone can consciously hit a particular angle even if they tried. It's well explained in the wiki blogs on B&B that for any DE razor, that the best angle is to start from the head on the face with handle @ 90 degrees to plane of face and to gradually move the handle down while shaving until the cutting begins... and try not to keep moving it down... so... you are shaving at the shallowest angle that cuts. I have personally found that this is a good approach with any new razor to find how it performs best. (I.E. avoid the drag/scrape method of cutting.) So this approach will give you the best angle for any DE razor. In practice you'll vary from this lots of the time as you move the razor around your face. When it goes too shallow, you loose the cutting and no harm done. When it goes too steep, your are risking scraping which can do one of two things - the blade will "catch" the odd portion of skin leading to nick; the blade will "catch" on a hair pulling it, causing irritation; or, the blade will drag across the skin and drag across already cut hair follicles, thoroughly irritating the skin -- giving you at best a little "sunburn" or at worst a weeper, or a good size nick. The As-D2 has the virtue of cutting down a bit on all the latter when you do it, hence it's reputation of being "forgiving." However, don't let that blind you to the virtues of fine tuning your shave with the AS-D2 to the efficient cutting angle. The AS-D2 doesn't penalize so much if you miss, but it does reward if you get it right!

As I said, tilting 30 deg does NOT work worth squat for me. Maybe 10-15 deg, but NOT 30. 30 deg would be my normal tilt, and it gave me pee-poor shaves with the AS-D2.

Are you saying 30 degrees down from perpendicular or 30 degrees down from face? Sound like the first one so seems like a 60 degree angle from face! Just trying to clarify! Thx.

It's the 1st one. The top part of the cap should be flat on your face, then move the handle down until the blade starts to cut. I'm not good with angles, but the handle at a 60 degree angle sounds about right.

I have my as-d2 for a couple of weeks already, that's my very first de razor by the way. I did a lot of research before finally deciding what razor to get, so even at this price point I said to myself I have to have it and here we go the feather all Stainless razor as-d2 ☺. I think I could not spent my money any better, it's been worth every penny.
When it comes to the angle I use around 45 degree, this works best for me. The blade i use is Derby extra and it's a mach made in heaven, this combo is super mild and smooth for me. I think in a couple of weeks when I master my technics I will pair it with feather blade. Long story short, I can recommend this razor to any one with sensitive skin or any one wanting a mild but efficient razor. I think I found the razor that will service my until the end of my life and then will be passed to my son.
Thank, sorry for my poor english..

Good Choice. You were smart to research and go for a great razor to learn and develop your technique with. Often on B&B we recommend a Merkur or a DE89 to start with. But I've gradually changed my opinion to say that my advice is, if you can afford it, buy one of the GREAT DE razors to start with (Feather ASD2, Pils, Wolfman, Any of the ATTs ...)

After six months, you might find yourself hankering to try one of the others. Just to see...

I have my as-d2 for a couple of weeks already, that's my very first de razor by the way. I did a lot of research before finally deciding what razor to get, so even at this price point I said to myself I have to have it and here we go the feather all Stainless razor as-d2 ☺. I think I could not spent my money any better, it's been worth every penny.
When it comes to the angle I use around 45 degree, this works best for me. The blade i use is Derby extra and it's a mach made in heaven, this combo is super mild and smooth for me. I think in a couple of weeks when I master my technics I will pair it with feather blade. Long story short, I can recommend this razor to any one with sensitive skin or any one wanting a mild but efficient razor. I think I found the razor that will service my until the end of my life and then will be passed to my son.
Thank, sorry for my poor english..

Nicely done article. I truly enjoy my AS-D2 which I received as a present. Sadly, the razor did not come with the stand. Any thought where I can enquire as to purchasing one separately?

Paris

Nicely done article. I truly enjoy my AS-D2 which I received as a present. Sadly, the razor did not come with the stand. Any thought where I can enquire as to purchasing one separately?

Paris
Welcome to B&B.
You might find an after market stand, but Feather only sells them in sets.

Very interesting write up. I dont have a good expereince generally with the m1 while i use the feather exclusively when i find the time to shave every day. I ve tried feather,gillette seven o clock green, astras and proobably a few others in the m1 but i still get some pulling rather than cutting. I havent touched it in months because of this.

Very interesting write up. I dont have a good expereince generally with the m1 while i use the feather exclusively when i find the time to shave every day. I ve tried feather,gillette seven o clock green, astras and proobably a few others in the m1 but i still get some pulling rather than cutting. I havent touched it in months because of this.

The M1 wasn't great for me either. The M2 is an excellent shaver for me, and I was never an open comb aficionado before. You might want to give it a try.

Ive read somewhere in these posts that you can send back used blates and exchange them, has anyone done that?

The M1 wasn't great for me either. The M2 is an excellent shaver for me, and I was never an open comb aficionado before. You might want to give it a try.

Ive read somewhere in these posts that you can send back used blates and exchange them, has anyone done that?
Yes, ATT has an amazing exchange policy and many of us have used it to find the best plate for our unique combination of shaving style, beard texture, and skin characteristics.

Good Choice. You were smart to research and go for a great razor to learn and develop your technique with. Often on B&B we recommend a Merkur or a DE89 to start with. But I've gradually changed my opinion to say that my advice is, if you can afford it, buy one of the GREAT DE razors to start with (Feather ASD2, Pils, Wolfman, Any of the ATTs ...)

After six months, you might find yourself hankering to try one of the others. Just to see...

I sure wish I would have just started high end in the first place, instead of trying umpteen entry level razors first.

I have both too. I agree with review:
"both are fantastic, beautiful razors. Either can give you whatever type of shave you are looking for. There was no "knockout" for me. Both remain in my "rotation."

I agree with this post.

In your situation you would be clearly justified to own both razors (razors are tools remember? The right tool for the job) to accommodate your skin's needs.

I sure wish I would have just started high end in the first place, instead of trying umpteen entry level razors first.

+1, this has been my experience as well. Besides, with the money I've saved over cartridges, my high-end razor set paid for itself in like 18 months ... and its all savings from here on....

Last edited:
Top Bottom