What's new

Are The Ruger LCP Models Durable?

Actually, I think a small 9mm snubbie with moon clips would be kinda cool. :)
I rented a LCR and to my great embarrassment couldn’t get the first drum on the paper - forget about the target - from 15 ft. I had no problem hitting the center of the target at the same distance when I first shot LCP. Let alone bigger pistols.

The accuracy of course improves with practice, but I don’t know if I want to even get into that. There’s now a few more choices for a pocketable semi on the market. I’ll stick with what I am (somewhat) good with.

That said, I’d love to get a large frame revolver one of these days as a range toy. Always thought they were beautiful.

I had the LCR in 22LR
I rented a LCR and to my great embarrassment couldn’t get the first drum on the paper - forget about the target - from 15 ft. I had no problem hitting the center of the target at the same distance when I first shot LCP. Let alone bigger pistols.
I had the LCR in 22lr, 22mag and 357Mag. I classify them as the worst triggers I have experienced in revolvers, second only to a Charter Arms Target Pathfinder. That was 11 years ago, I have not tried the current production.

I had the LCR in 22LR

I had the LCR in 22lr, 22mag and 357Mag. I classify them as the worst triggers I have experienced in revolvers, second only to a Charter Arms Target Pathfinder. That was 11 years ago, I have not tried the current production.
Well a bad trigger could explain poor grouping but not being unable to hit a large sheet of paper at 15 ft, by someone fairly experienced with semis…

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Sounds like enough trouble to choose another line altogether. After browsing the thread I am curious if there might be any similar issues with the LC9's since one is my edc.

From all of the reading and searching of just about every gun forum whose thread subject is an LC or LCP line?

There were a few LC9’s being complained about, but not anymore than people complaining and saying Glocks are unreliable? :)

For the most, LC9 owners seemed very happy with the quality and reliability of their LC9’s.

OkieStubble

I had the LCR in 22LR

Are there any other manufacturers making a current model of a 9mm revolver?

Also Ruger, if you want to stay with the same brand. I have never handled it but they offer the SP101 in 9nn as well. I had the same revolver in 357 Magnum, it was not a revolver for me, mainly for the size of the grip, plus I prefer 5 rounds revolvers, but it was an excellent gun with a good trigger out of the box.

Not that I know of, off hand.

TK Custom will re-chamber your .38/.357 cylinder to 1) use moon clips and 2) use 9mm and .38/.357 interchangeably.

I recently picked up a 640 Airweight for the first time in 30 years. I was AMAZED. I had my stones, chamfer cutters and trigger/hammer bushings out. Completely unnecessary. The trigger is REALLY good, no lateral slop, so bushings not needed, and the chambers have a nice from-the factory chamfer.

I did grab a stainless cylinder and crane off eBay and will headspace it to the gun and will probably get it cut for moonclips.

Pinnacle High Performance (Mark Hartsthorne) is out of business, and was the only other conversion alternative.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

No moon clips required.

From all of the reading and searching of just about every gun forum whose thread subject is an LC or LCP line?

There were a few LC9’s being complained about, but not anymore than people complaining and saying Glocks are unreliable? :)

For the most, LC9 owners seemed very happy with the quality and reliability of their LC9’s.

Yes, I have heard that as well. Ruger's larger framed pistols used to be known for their ruggedness. Although I've never owned a Ruger before LCP. I just think that LCP suffers from trying to jam so much into such a tiny frame.

I don't know what kind of problems Kel Tec had with their original design that Ruger .. how do I put it nicely... built upon. Kel Tec isn't exactly known for their QC so it's hard to say whether there were inherent problems with that design, or just sloppy manufacturing.

I do suspect, based on all of the reports of people having the same problems with it that I had (hopefully in the past sense...) that there's some inherent difficulty with feeding and ejecting - perhaps, as you said, related to the weak recoil spring.

This makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. A stronger recoil spring makes the small slide harder to rack. This could be a problem for a segment of their target customers. So it' possible that they deliberately undersized the spring trying to find the good middle point between easier loading and reliable feeding, and in some individual pistols this shifted too far away from feeding / ejecting.

Which still doesn't excuse my sample requiring two trips to the mothership. Honestly, this whole saga makes me not consider any other Ruger models, there's just too much great competition out there. I bought a Marlin 795 for my kids, while not as customizable as 10/22, it's extremely reliable, extremely accurate, and was a whole lot cheaper.

OkieStubble

No moon clips required.

I wonder how difficult it would be to find a speed loader for a 9mm revolver that doesn’t use moon clips?

OkieStubble

Yes, I have heard that as well. Ruger's larger framed pistols used to be known for their ruggedness. Although I've never owned a Ruger before LCP. I just think that LCP suffers from trying to jam so much into such a tiny frame.

I don't know what kind of problems Kel Tec had with their original design that Ruger .. how do I put it nicely... built upon. Kel Tec isn't exactly known for their QC so it's hard to say whether there were inherent problems with that design, or just sloppy manufacturing.

I do suspect, based on all of the reports of people having the same problems with it that I had (hopefully in the past sense...) that there's some inherent difficulty with feeding and ejecting - perhaps, as you said, related to the weak recoil spring.

This makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. A stronger recoil spring makes the small slide harder to rack. This could be a problem for a segment of their target customers. So it' possible that they deliberately undersized the spring trying to find the good middle point between easier loading and reliable feeding, and in some individual pistols this shifted too far away from feeding / ejecting.

Which still doesn't excuse my sample requiring two trips to the mothership. Honestly, this whole saga makes me not consider any other Ruger models, there's just too much great competition out there. I bought a Marlin 795 for my kids, while not as customizable as 10/22, it's extremely reliable, extremely accurate, and was a whole lot cheaper.

Your post makes sense to me. While there are other small pocket pistols out there, I don’t think there is a comparable brand to compete with the round capacity of Ruger’s LCP Max.

I need to try S&W’s Bodyguard .380 and see how I like their true double action trigger.

Your post makes sense to me. While there are other small pocket pistols out there, I don’t think there is a comparable brand to compete with the round capacity of Ruger’s LCP Max.

I need to try S&W’s Bodyguard .380 and see how I like their true double action trigger.

LCP Max is just a little too thick to be truly pocketable for me.

I probably would feel differently if I wasn't spoiled by the original LCP. Compared to it, anything else feels huge.

Round capacity is not a concern for me. 7+1 is plenty.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a Kel Tec P11 and the only real criticisms were the cheap diminutive plastic sights and the horrible trigger pull. As far as functioning, it has been completely reliable. I have replaced the sights and will eventually change some springs and put in an MCarbo trigger.

I have a Kel Tec P11 and the only real criticisms were the cheap diminutive plastic sights and the horrible trigger pull. As far as functioning, it has been completely reliable. I have replaced the sights and will eventually change some springs and put in an MCarbo trigger.
They were however known for spotty quality, in addition to their out-of-the-box thinking and ingenuity. So you may have got a good one and someone else a not so good one.

In one of the posts on Reddit that cracked me up, someone suggested that Kel Tec engineers should stop sharing their LSD with their QA techs.

Not familiar with the LCP but, my LCR snub nose in .357 is my favorite revolver. It’s hammerless, of course and I can easily drop in my pocket for easy concealment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom