What's new

Are The Ruger LCP Models Durable?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So I have a upgraded magazine latch spring coming in the mail from M-Carbo for my .380 Ruger LCP II. I got on the official Ruger website and what did I see? Ruger has now discontinued the .380 model of the LCP II. The LCP II in .22 Long Rifle is still available but not the .380. I visited several other Ruger gun communities and verified that Ruger has stopped making the LCP II in .380.

After I found out this info, I was watching an M-Carbo video on the removal of the Ruger OEM mag latch spring which Ruger customer service did replace when I sent it back to them. However, I found out something interesting and a bit different. When I took my LCP II apart, the new OEM latch spring that was in the new lower frame that Ruger replaced for me, has a different kind of spring?

The old OEM spring from the older frame that Ruger replaced looked like this:

IMG_1627.jpeg

The mag spring latch in the new lower frame Ruger replaced for me, now looks like this:

IMG_1628.jpeg

If you look into the mag well, you can see a now, red colored magazine latch spring? Not only is it red compared to the older stainless looking spring, but the red spring appears to possibly be a bit thicker in diameter? I have been working the mag button by dropping and re-inserting a magazine and it also possibly feels like it is a stronger spring because the mag snaps in with a louder click when it seats then what I remembered before; and it also seems to eject a bit more forcefully then before?

My dilemma now, would be; do I keep this never seen before red colored OEM spring from Ruger, or still replace it with the aftermarket M-Carbo spring which should be here any day now? The M-Carbo reviews are all very positive, saying their thicker diameter spring with a few tactically placed bends in the spring, make it 30% stronger than the Ruger OEM spring. But they are probably referring to the older OEM spring and not this ever seen before red colored spring Ruger has sent back with my gun?

Now that the .380 LCP II has been discontinued, I'm sure there is still some back stock left at many gun retailers, others on the Ruger forums are already saying they are getting harder to find and are already raising in price.

Keep it as is, put it in the safe and get something else for carry...... Just the thought of the mag falling out when you need it would keep me awake

OkieStubble

Keep it as is, put it in the safe and get something else for carry...... Just the thought of the mag falling out when you need it would keep me awake

I scoured the internet researching many gun forums where I found many other LCP II owners who have had the exact same problem as me with the magazine dropping after every round fired.

Most said it happens around the 400-600 round mark; and the wife and I probably had about 600-700 rounds thru it over a decade.

Most of those who replaced their OEM spring with the M-Carbo spring say that it has fixed the problem even after putting another 400-600 rounds thru it.

They still carry theirs EDC. I traded out the wife’s LCP Max for a Glock 42; and I got her a Tulster AIWB holster and xtra mag carrier for it. My LCP II has been pretty reliable over the last 10 years, so if a magazine button spring can fix the problem of dropping magazines, I want to try and keep it for a deep concealment mouse gun.

or you could buy a new one....$199 at Academy.....they have all sorts on sale.....probably cheaper than fixing the old one.....just a new one, good for 1-5yrs....:eek2::c2:

OkieStubble

or you could buy a new one....$199 at Academy.....they have all sorts on sale.....probably cheaper than fixing the old one.....just a new one, good for 1-5yrs....:eek2::c2:

I think the older one has better steel. It only costed me $10 for the aftermarket magazine button spring to fix it from M-Carbo?

A good very small CCW option that isn't very expensive is a Kahr CM9. A little larger than an LCP, but it's a 9mm. It can be pocket carried in the right pants. And I have one with thousands of rounds through it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A good very small CCW option that isn't very expensive is a Kahr CM9. A little larger than an LCP, but it's a 9mm. It can be pocket carried in the right pants. And I have one with thousands of rounds through it.
I've been very satisfied with my Kahr PM9 and carry it often.

Another that I have found to be very reliable is the smith and Wesson CSX pistol though it is heavier with the aluminum frame. I won’t carry something until I have put at least 1k rounds through it with no malfunctions. This little guy is at +3.5k and still going strong. It is an EDC and I would estimate it is what I carry 95% of the time. I have not had any of the internet gun tubers mentioned issues of mags not seating or crappy trigger re-set.

I do have an original LCP with around 2k through it that I got in 09 or 10 that I still carry when wearing shorts since it is light weight and low profile.

Top Bottom