What's new

April 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Out, but going for 29/30
First shave with the Yates and was quite impressed. I used the M plate with a fresh Personna Lab Blue and got a DFS++ and finished with Whiskey Woods. 👍
4-18.jpg
Goucho 1.jpg

Still in!

I've been a bit busy lately and haven't been able to post, but on the other hand I haven't really been tempted either. :thumbup1:

I'm still trying my Rex Ambassador XL, which gives me good shaves with some razor burn. The results are steadily improving though, so I've so far been able to resist the reflex to revert to the Merkur Progress 510c.

Today I added the combination of Bay Rum and shea butter to my shaving routine. The Bay Rum has a very special smell and takes some time getting used to :a17:. It's not so bad in the home office but I'm not sure I'd go straight to the office after shaving. :nono: However, it suits my sensitive, dry skin very well. I used Manufactum's shea butter as an aftershave, which is wonderfully moisturizing. So far, I find the combination quite interesting and will continue to try it out.

Do any of the gentlemen reading this have experience with shea butter as an aftershave?

Unfortunately, the shave was not very gentle due to the time. Two weepers reminded me that the Ambassador with the Perma-Sharp requires a bit of concentration in the morning. I went with 6 (WTG), 2 (ATG), 2 (cleanup-ATG). The result was a DFS+++
  • Pre-shave Routine: Shower
  • Pre-shave Cream: Proraso White
  • Shaving Soap: Phoenix Dapper Doc
  • DE Razor: Rex Ambassador XL
  • Razor Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp (1)
  • Brush: Mühle Sophist
  • Mühle Alumn Stick
  • Manufactum Bay Rum
  • Manufactum Sheabutter-Creme

IMG_9466.jpeg

Last edited:
Whew! Still in, back after a very busy week, including a playing in a community concert band coinciding with a visit from my East coast daughter and son in law. Last Saturday, facing a long drive due to rock slides, I resorted to pulling out the Norelco electric as a “touch up” before my real vintage shave in the hotel. That didn’t happen, instead it was a quick shave in the shower with a Gillette disposable. Ironic, I have gone months with only vintage razors, now that it’s Vintage April….
Anyway, I shaved with my vintage Tech on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and today, a rare no shave day on Tuesday. I’ve been getting DFS+ on my old Feather Blade, shave 517.

So many posts in my absence, I did a very quick scroll through on my phone, no time for comments. One struck me:

Unfortunately my planned adjustable shaves didn't happen. No water for two days. Burst main pipe. Our city and 4 other towns are cut. A 2 pass with MACH3, using a kettle of boiled water. Don't ask.
Been there. I feel for you. (5 gal buckets have so many uses. IYKYK) I trust it is resolved by now.

Last edited:
Day 18, 60% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Proraso Sensitive Balm

Back to MWF, and got one of those perfect bowl lathers. Took my time, and got an excellent near-BBS.

Date19.04.2024
366 daily shaves
110/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Single RingSilver Star (5)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (92)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4.5/10 (Sharpish)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.25/10
(DFS++)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Effective Friday shave using one of my oldest razors. Very capable of a close shave. All other actors were playing in unison.

For extended shave notes click here.

My condolences John @tjsgarden and please pass on my sympathies to Kathy.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom